“Getaway Break in Barberstown Castle”
Review of Barberstown Castle

Barberstown Castle
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Straffan
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Just outside Celbridge in Co. Kildare, this is a quiet place to stay and it fairly close to bus and train routes to Dublin but you will need a car if you intend to leave the castle.
First of all the facilities and staff are excellent. We stayed one night and had dinner. The food was very good and the bedroom and bathroom were both warm and very comfortable. The staff were very friendly and helpful the whole time we were there. We had a four poster bed which was very nice and there was fast wifi internet in the room and a flat-screen TV. Oddly there was no fridge/mini-bar.
There is a very definite sense of history here and the rooms are named after historical figures that stayed there through the years and on the way to the restaurant there is a list of many of the more contemporary celebs who have stayed.
The food is mixed value over all, the quality is very good but two scones with jam and cream will cost you €6.50 and a coffee, €3,50 but breakfast and dinner were included in our package. The breakfast was very good but again, I've had better (I had the Irish breakfast/fry) and again the service as excellent.
The bar area is comfortable but very small and there was a guitar player and fiddler playing while we were there who were pretty amazing. Oddly there was only Guinness and Heineken on tap but there seemed to be a plethora of spirits. The wine we had with dinner was excellent.
The minuses are that there isn't much to do at the castle itself and there were no tea or coffee making facilities in the room or fridge. I detected a somewhat anti-family sentiment while there (I don't have kids but even I picked up on the 'kids under 12 should be quiet and monitored at all times' bit). It's a bit dear overall for what you're getting. I wanted to give it a 3.5 star rating but you can't do half stars so three it is, take from that what you will.
Separately and somewhat less reliably (seeing as I couldn't/didn't walk through the area myself) - the castle won best Irish wedding castle venue. Now I'm sure you'd have to attend a wedding there but I just don't see it. The banquet hall doesn't seem like the bride and groom would be able to see everyone as the hall seems L shaped and narrow. Anyways, could be wrong about that.
Overall - very quiet and comfortable and good food but not really worth what you are paying.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Paddy D

Reviewed 9 February 2014

My wife and I made a reservation for a small number of people a few months before our wedding day in December. When booking we advised the receptionist it was for a wedding but we didn't need a wedding package. We turned up on the day and was in the middle of having photos taken when the manageress (I'm assuming because she didn't introduce herself) interrupted and said "We have another wedding booked today. We have a one-bride policy I'm afraid so you'll either have to change your dress, cover it with a coat or leave. Needless to say we left!

It was actually a blessing in disguise because the hotel was lifeless, dull and the staff in general rather rude or uninterested in making their guests experience a happy one.

Being asked to leave was actually a blessing in disguise because we had our dinner in Celbridge Manor (<10 minutes down the road) where they couldn't have done enough for us. They even provided a prosecco reception on arrival free of charge. Now that is a 5* venue!!

Room Tip: Avoid like the plague. The hotel has no atmosphere and staff are among the rudest people to be emplo...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank aguinness
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed recently as a wedding guest. Our room was pleasant but on a noisy main corridor, shower disappointing, toiletries very average, no after hours food on offer, staff out on floor serving wedding meal were pleasant but seemed stressed, the two ladies behind this bar were rather rude & incompetent. Poorly stocked bar. €178 wedding rate- steep

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank Irisheyes20162016
Reviewed 13 December 2013

I stayed here for one night in early December for a friend's wedding. It is a charming hotel/castle which gives it the best of both worlds. I checked into my room and was thrilled to have a four poster bed - just made it all the more magical. The wedding was taking place in the chapel on site followed by a meal in the banqueting hall. Everything was flawless, food was stunning and the open log fires everywhere were just so homely and welcoming. One thing I did find but I blame the weather is that it was a little bit chilly in the banqueting hall itself and in the breakfast room in the morning. However, I was probably underdressed for the temperatures.

Otherwise, the stay was just incredible. I loved coming back to my room to see the curtains pulled, bedside lamps on and a chocolate on my pillow - it is definitely the little things. I also ordered a pot of tea to my room and whether it was just because it was tea or because the waiter felt sorry for me in my Bruce Springsteen t-shirt and pink with blue polka dot PJs, it was complimentary which I wasn't expecting.

Fabulous experience and beautiful location - definitely will be returning in the near future.

Ger in Dublin

Room Tip: Choose a 4 poster bed room - seriously, it's worth it.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 December 2013

We arrived and were greeted by very friendly staff who showed us to our room. Lovely big room with four poster bed. Old worlde in decor but very modern for everything else. Rooms were very clean and warm. Bed really comfy. Bathroom was very high standard. Very clean and lots of towels. We had a meal which was lovely . Delicious in fact. We were greeted by the "Ghost" of Barberstown Castle who told us of the history of the place. Very interesting and enteraining. Only negative I would have that the bar prices are very high indeed. 2 glasses of white wine and one small bottle of soda water over €18. Otherwise excellent

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Tried to book an event in this hotel and it was the worst experience of my life! Staff made us feels like they were doing us a favour by letting us spend out money there…. The staff were rude and when we did go for lunch we were told they don’t cater for children that they would have to eat from the menu and pay full prise! Never again will I or any of my extended family set food inside this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank mikey2006377
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Myself, my husband and our baby daughter had the pleasure of staying a night in the castle a week ago. From arrival it was just a joy, the peace and tranquillity is just wonderful as you park and head to reception where the nicest staff greet you - you instantly feel welcome. We had a beautiful four poster suite that was to say Perfect would be an understatement; it’s the little details and touches that make it. They had kindly left a cot for us and I have contacted them previously and they helped to arrange a local girl to baby sit while we went to dinner. The dinner was super and it was a medieval night so there was entertainment and we learned all about the castle while was really interesting to be honest.
Breakfast was run to perfection and the food delicious, felt very relaxed and at home
In my option it’s the perfect stay - its relaxed, great food, unstated not pretentious luxury, excellent staff and service and I will be back in the next few weeks -
I feel its a trip where I can really relax and enjoy and believe me plently to enjoy especially the wonderful wine list :)

Room Tip: Its worth the extra - upgrade to a suite - fab , spacious and perfect if you need the room for a cot...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Straffan
The K Club
8 mi away
Osprey Hotel
Osprey Hotel
#3 of 5 in Naas

Been to Barberstown Castle? Share your experiences!