My partner and I experienced the joy of a 5 day stay at this wonderful hotel around the St. Patrick's holiday. The hotel was extremely busy when we checked in on the Sunday afternoon, so it was understandable that we had to wait a little while for our room to be prepared. It was well worth the wait however when we were informed that it was the same room that Tiger Woods had stayed in during the Ryder Cup. To say that we were impressed would be putting it mildly. Everything, from the actual size of the room, with its beautiful furnishings, to the huge, floor heated bathroom, exuded style and good taste. So much so that at times we were reluctant to go out.
Our daily breakfast was a challenge as to what to choose from the magnificent array of breads, fruit, yoghurts, cold meats, cheese, smoked salmon etc., and that was before considering the hot choices from the menu.
We dined in the River Room on 2 evenings, and again, the food, along with the well paced service was an experience never to be forgotten. My only gripe here would be the fact that on one evening there was a family with a small baby seated in the main dining room. Since the anti room was also in use, I would have thought it more sensible to seat the family in the smaller room, and fill the main room first. I'm guessing that by the time the main room had filled, the family would have already left. As it turned out the baby was quite well behaved, but it could have proved a spoiler to the evening.
The icing on the cake was the warm and professional attitude of the staff. At every turn we were greeted, not in that awful 'have a nice day' tone, but with real sincerity, by a reception team who seemed to genuinely care for their guests. One example of this was having to move my car to a parking slot having earlier parked 'illegally' due to the car park being full. When I informed the reception staff, they just told me to leave the key with them and they would have it moved. Thank you Audrey and the rest of your colleagues, and for seeing us off at the door upon our final departure. It's those little gestures that can make all the difference.
We make a point of trying out different hotels during our trips to Ireland, but I can honestly say that the K Club is one that we will endeavor to revisit.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The K Club, Ireland's First AA 5 Red Star Hotel, is located in the heart of the idyllic Irish countryside on the banks of the River Liffey in Straffan, Co.Kildare This long standing member of Preferred Hotels & Resorts offers the very best of pampering, leisure and golf facilities and is only 30 minutes from Dublin. Built in 1832, on the banks of the River Liffey, the original house was modelled on a French Chateau and still retains many of its original architectural features, art work and antiques. It opened as a luxury hotel in 1991 and was Ireland's first AA Five Red Star Property. To this day it continues to deliver the very highest levels of service and standards in terms of its food and beverage offerings, golf, leisure and spa treatments. The mature estate covers an impressive 550 acres and also features a stunning Victorian walled garden and fishing on the River Liffey which runs through the resort. The resident ghillees offer fly fishing on the river and horse riding and clay pigeon shooting are also available along with a range of different country pursuits. The K Club is home to two Championship Golf Courses- The Palmer Ryder Cup Course and the Palmer Designed Smurfit Course. Hailed among the world's finest golf resorts, The K Club was the chosen venue for the 2006 Ryder Cup and host to the European Open from 1995 to 2007. The K Spa, at The K Club, offers a wide variety of treatments for both men and women. The K Spa is an oasis of calm. The minimalist and contemporary decor sets the scene for pure indulgence and mind and body relaxation. The K Spa also features a secluded outdoor hot tub, aromatic herb garden, seven luxurious treatment rooms, two private suites, a Hamam, a Hydrobath, a Vichey Shower and an exotic Rasul Chamber. One of the spa products used at the spa includes, Voya which is made from organically certified seaweed, hand picked from the west coast of Ireland. A range of award winning dining facilities are available to choose from and include both fine dining and informal options. Our Accommodation is sumptuous and truly luxurious, each bedroom has been individually designed, no two rooms are alike and feature original paintings and antiques, meanwhile the bathrooms incorporate hand painted murals. Culture enthusiasts can enjoy regular art talks and tours of The K Clubs extensive private art and antiques collection with the resident art expert. The K Club is home to many important Irish works and even has a room dedicated to the Irish Expressionist painter, J. B Yeats. The Yeats Room features many of Yeats' important paintings and is a riot of colour and texture. Wine cellar tours are also available with our resident sommelier. Families are well catered for and children will love the kids club which offers arts and crafts, nature walks and games. Children will also enjoy using the swimming pool and junior golf clinics which run during the summer. A baby sitting service is also available upon request. The K Club is the ideal country venue for business and leisure travellers, families, weddings and honey mooners, incentive groups, executive retreats and of course, golfers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your The K Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The k Club Hotel Straffan
- k Hotel Straffan
- The K Club Ireland/Straffan, County Kildare