“Wonderful golf experience”
Review of The K Club

The K Club
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Straffan
More attraction details
Owner description: One of Ireland's most famous golf clubs, The K Club features two championship Arnold Palmer designed golf courses - The Ryder Cup Course and The Smurfit Course
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Scored 37 points off visitor tees (14 handicap) on Smurfit course at the K Club this afternoon with my son and friends.

This is the 2nd time I've played this course ... last time with a society on a cold, wet spring day in 2012. It was so much better playing it today with nice warm weather and only the odd spot of rain. I guess we were lucky, as I read of flash flooding elsewhere in the country.

Have to say, I really like this course and prefer it over the Ryder Cup Palmer Course at the same venue, which I've played 4 times. With lots of “dunes” and long grasses around, the Smurfit definitely has a links feel about it, although the fairways are undeniably parkland.

Hard to believe this course is entirely "man made"(it certainly doesn’t look it) - I gather the dramatic par 5 7th alone cost over €3m when it was built (with a lot of help from set builders of Universal Studios).

This course has lots of beautiful water features, which are in really fabulous condition and abound with plants and water fowl. Water lilies were in bloom and the large water expanses were remarkably clear of algae that you see on many golf course “lakes” and ponds.

I wouldn't be that gone on the American style bunkers, though, which must cost a fortune to maintain.

Smurfit course has a lot of variation - back nine more so than the front. Really loved the par 4 15th, which I birdied.

Reviewed 21 July 2013

I had never been to the K-Club before considering it for our company golf day in 2013.

Cost was always the element that put me off. But when you consider what you get for your money, it's well worth considering.

My first encounter was to make a lasting impression. The building which forms the main part of the hotel is quite astonishing. We were guided to a drawing room for tea and a discussion of our needs with the Hotel manager. Luxury hardly describes the feeling one has in this place. Furnishings, paintings, plaster work all whisper 'elegance'. And you must check out the Yeates room, packed with Jack Yeates paintings.

While our intention was to have a meal after golf in the Palmer club house, I couldn't ignore the splendor of the main house, and at more cost, moved the entire evening event to the main restaurant.

I really cannot describe how wonderful these surroundings are. The dining room was magnificent as was the service. The restaurant manager on the evening of our event was I felt, a little hard on the staff. She ran a tight ship, but I didn't think people spoke to their team in those tones anymore. She was determined everything would be perfect, and it was.

The food was delicious and every one of our 60 guests seemed to be served at the same time.

I was so impressed with this venue, a week later I booked a repeat event for 2014.

Reviewed 21 July 2013

Service excellent! Gardens are amazing, staff are very friendly and helpful! Spotless, beautiful walks! Coffee and cakes lovely!
Will definitely call there again.

Reviewed 25 June 2013

Fabulous night in k- club.. Staff were warm and friendly.. Food and wine top class..golf and cocktails excuisit... Can't wait to return..

Reviewed 19 June 2013

folks at K Club were so gracious very nice friendly played the Palmer course {ryder cup} very cool hotel looked elegant and beautiful grounds were kept like royalty nice golf shop and bar/grill lucky to have lovely weather