The Strand Seafood Bistro and Guesthouse
  • Restaurant
The Bayview(Kilkee)
  • Bar/Lounge
TripAdvisor
All reviewswatch the sunsetthe ownergreat qualityseafood chowderwarm hospitalityguest housefantastic viewspleasant stayirish breakfastwest coast of irelandlovely roomoff seasonjohnnycarolinebayburrenslice
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Didn't have an end destination when driving through Clare. Stopped at The Strand, if only to check out the place where Che Guevara stopped over unexpectedly in '61.

The welcome was friendly. I asked one of the staff if there was a room available as the setting in front of the beach was a perfect setting to lay the head for a night. Caroline who was eating her meal got up to show me a room herself. What a service !. The standard of service and friendliness remained marvelous. Decided to stay an extra day, using here as a base.

The only downside was that wifi didn't work in the room but would highly recommend stopping here if passing through this part of the world.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea room view
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 July 2013

My sisters and I had driven to South Clare to take a dolphin tour. I didn't want to eat at one of those very internal Irish pubs, so I scouted around the nearby towns and found Kilkee and The Strand. Kilkee seems to be a small resort town that's been there forever. The crescent beach is nestled in a bay with the town focused around it. Really charming. The Strand was right there at the beach and had big windows for the view. So, that's how I chose the place, but I'd return because the food was so great. At the end of the two week trip, my sisters and I still ranked the lunch we had at The Strand as one of the best meals we had and most charming experience.
Two of us had the fish and chips. Now I'm back in Manhattan. I went out last night with a friend, ordered the house specialty of fish and chips and was really disappointed.
I really don't think I'd order fish and chips outside of Ireland again and will always include The Strand in future trips to Ireland.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We have happy memories of the Strand from years ago and had heard good reports as it had a make over but were disappointed. It was not worth the money we paid. The hotel was locked when we arrived and had to ring the owner who instructed us to ring bell and the cleaner was there. We were shown to our room but it had a creaky bed so moved to another room. The room was tastefully decorated but let down by the shower, it had a rusty rail and shower hose was peeling also a manky wooden soap tray. Bathroom door also warped so difficult to lock. When mentioned this on departure was told that the shower was in process of being done, surely a room should be finished completely before letting it out or reduce the price. In two weeks this was the most expensive place and we stayed in 3 and 4 star hotels. Hotel lobby very drab and uninviting. At breakfast they had to run out for sausages as none left - we were the only ones there at that time poor planning.

Room Tip: Nothing to say
2  Thank Elizabeth/Peter W
Johnnykilkee, Owner at The Strand Seafood Bistro and Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2013

Dear Busy Lizzy
We were both shocked and amazed by your erroneous account of your stay here with us at The Strand in fact so shocked that we wondered if you had actually stayed here at all?? Considering the two independant reviews that were published on the same day as yours one might say that there is quite a contrast? Anyhow on reflection we did remember you and how you had mentioned the morning that you left about the hand rail in the shower and we kindly explained that the shower in your room had recently been regrouted and we were waiting for a new rail and you said that it wasn't a real problem that you had still enjoyed your stay with us and then you left with no other complaint . ......This is why we are so surprised by this review. It seams that you needed time to reflect in order to compile a list of more things to make your review more interesting. Running a Guesthouse is I am afraid an ongoing maintenence process.
To end my reply I feel I need to explain that we are not a "Hotel" as you have stated but a Guesthouse and so are not obliged too be open 24hrs a day ....we have a doorbell to alert our house keeping lady of the arrival of guests . Tuesday is that day that we close the restaurant and this is the reason it was closed the day you arrived .
Regards
The Strand

Reviewed 24 June 2013

A very lovely Hotel on a beautiful place. The nature Beach is directly in front of the hotel and if you leave the room windows open you will hear the sea. The rooms really nice and special. Taste also the dinner in the Restaurant it s Great!!!

Room Tip: Ask for the "Honeymoon Suite" :-)
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Stayed here overnight. The welcome from Johnny and Caroline is warm and genuine. Nothing is too much trouble. Great place to stay overlooking the beautiful beach. Comfortable accommodation and great food with a personal touch. What more can I say?!! Choose the Strand if your going to beautiful Kilkee.