“Great Place to Stay!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kilkee
The Strand Seafood Bistro and Guesthouse
Ranked #4 of 6 Kilkee B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 July 2013

My husband and I stayed at The Strand in early July 2013 and truly enjoyed our stay. Johnny and Caroline were great hosts and very personable. The view from the room was amazing, looking right over the beach. The room was clean and quiet. The location is great, not only right on the beach, but close to the Loophead, boat to Scattery Island, Kilrush and the ferry across the Shannon River. Parking was always available right in front of the guesthouse. The bistro had great service and food (the best salmon in Ireland!), having the restaurant downstairs is a wonderful option for when the weather is a bit chilly and wet. We will definitely stay here again when we return to the Kilkee area.

2  Thank SandiLakey

Reviewed 16 July 2013

Well, We loved this place.
We had read that 1 star review by a single man who complained about squeaking floor boards etc and then we had read 2 or 3 other reviews giving 5 stars - So whilst Eliz was opting for another B&B , I wanted to give this place a try. Well we both dont regret my decision at all. (Not often I have a win). We have been free wheel traveling in Ireland for 5 nights now and last nights meal was the best food we have had to date. The baked SeaBass with a herb crust was delicious and so was everything else. Apple crumble to die for. Friendly staff - smiling happy helpful with time for a chat. Cant rate the place highly enough. And yes, it is a 100 year plus old building so it does have some quirks, but this is part of the charm. That is why we are travelling between little Irish villages. Love the atmosphere. Cheers Peter and Elizabeth Dance

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view. Enjoy the comfort of large armchairs in the sitting areas and bars.
2  Thank elizabeth d
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I had a wish list for summer 2013 ... A sun holiday by the sea... wish granted ........... both Jerry & myself had the most beautiful few days in The Strand Bistro and Guesthouse. Staff excellent on an extremely busy and warm night. they went out of their way to make our stay as comfortable & enjoyable as possible... we slept & woke to the sound of the sea........food excellent ... one of the best places I have stayed in a long, long time at an affordable price.

2  Thank sarahsloane
Johnnykilkee, Owner at The Strand Seafood Bistro and Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2013

Thanks a lot Jerry and Sarah for your nice comments .... Thanks also for your business and we at The Strand are delighted that you enjoyed yourselves so much ...looking forward to your next visit.....
Johnny and Caroline

Reviewed 15 July 2013

When we planned our week long Ireland trip, (driving a rental car), we scheduled one night in Kilkee to break up our drive from Doolin to the Dingle Peninsula. So, we didn't really view Kilkee as an actual destination, but rather a brief stop to recharge. We chose the Strand because of the location overlooking the beach, as well as the convenience of having the restaurant right there (and, of course, the very positive Tripadvisor reviews.). The Strand absolutely met our expecations.

We arrived at the Strand about 8:30 pm, quite hungry (and a bit stressed) from a long day of driving through the Burren after leaving Doolin. The friendly staff at the Strand assured us we had plenty of time to eat in the restaurant, despite the 9pm closing time. We had a fantastic meal at our table overlooking the beach, and relaxed with our glasses of wine and stout.

Since the building was originally an older, smaller hotel dating back to Kilkee's earlier resort days. the rooms are not Ritz-Carlton suites. But they certainly have all the amenities you could want in this price range, as well as the unique character and charm one would expect when staying at Irish guesthouses and B&Bs. Our room had windows in the bedroom and bathroom with views of the beach.

The breakfast was as delicious as the dinner the night before, and despite a light early morning rain, it was inspirational to have the beautiful ocean/beach views.

Before breakfast, my husband had his early morning walk heading south from the Strand along the coast. He saw the home which Richard Harris had lived, and beyond that walked along a beautiful trail on cliffs which were nearly as spectacular as the Cliffs of Moher.

Driving from Kilkee that morning toward the ferry in Killimer, we wished we could have had another night at the Strand to explore Kilkee and the Loop Head Peninsula. If you're planning your itinerary for an Ireland trip via rental car, you may want to consider this if time allows.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Elaine E
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Didn't have an end destination when driving through Clare. Stopped at The Strand, if only to check out the place where Che Guevara stopped over unexpectedly in '61.

The welcome was friendly. I asked one of the staff if there was a room available as the setting in front of the beach was a perfect setting to lay the head for a night. Caroline who was eating her meal got up to show me a room herself. What a service !. The standard of service and friendliness remained marvelous. Decided to stay an extra day, using here as a base.

The only downside was that wifi didn't work in the room but would highly recommend stopping here if passing through this part of the world.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea room view
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 July 2013

My sisters and I had driven to South Clare to take a dolphin tour. I didn't want to eat at one of those very internal Irish pubs, so I scouted around the nearby towns and found Kilkee and The Strand. Kilkee seems to be a small resort town that's been there forever. The crescent beach is nestled in a bay with the town focused around it. Really charming. The Strand was right there at the beach and had big windows for the view. So, that's how I chose the place, but I'd return because the food was so great. At the end of the two week trip, my sisters and I still ranked the lunch we had at The Strand as one of the best meals we had and most charming experience.
Two of us had the fish and chips. Now I'm back in Manhattan. I went out last night with a friend, ordered the house specialty of fish and chips and was really disappointed.
I really don't think I'd order fish and chips outside of Ireland again and will always include The Strand in future trips to Ireland.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We have happy memories of the Strand from years ago and had heard good reports as it had a make over but were disappointed. It was not worth the money we paid. The hotel was locked when we arrived and had to ring the owner who instructed us to ring bell and the cleaner was there. We were shown to our room but it had a creaky bed so moved to another room. The room was tastefully decorated but let down by the shower, it had a rusty rail and shower hose was peeling also a manky wooden soap tray. Bathroom door also warped so difficult to lock. When mentioned this on departure was told that the shower was in process of being done, surely a room should be finished completely before letting it out or reduce the price. In two weeks this was the most expensive place and we stayed in 3 and 4 star hotels. Hotel lobby very drab and uninviting. At breakfast they had to run out for sausages as none left - we were the only ones there at that time poor planning.

Room Tip: Nothing to say
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Elizabeth/Peter W
Johnnykilkee, Owner at The Strand Seafood Bistro and Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2013

Dear Busy Lizzy
We were both shocked and amazed by your erroneous account of your stay here with us at The Strand in fact so shocked that we wondered if you had actually stayed here at all?? Considering the two independant reviews that were published on the same day as yours one might say that there is quite a contrast? Anyhow on reflection we did remember you and how you had mentioned the morning that you left about the hand rail in the shower and we kindly explained that the shower in your room had recently been regrouted and we were waiting for a new rail and you said that it wasn't a real problem that you had still enjoyed your stay with us and then you left with no other complaint . ......This is why we are so surprised by this review. It seams that you needed time to reflect in order to compile a list of more things to make your review more interesting. Running a Guesthouse is I am afraid an ongoing maintenence process.
To end my reply I feel I need to explain that we are not a "Hotel" as you have stated but a Guesthouse and so are not obliged too be open 24hrs a day ....we have a doorbell to alert our house keeping lady of the arrival of guests . Tuesday is that day that we close the restaurant and this is the reason it was closed the day you arrived .
Regards