“A Weekend Break”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Cavan
San Roque, Andalucia, Spain
“A Weekend Break”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

Have just had a weekend here for a wedding that had the reception at this hotel. Although quite expensive, this is Ireland, we paid the extra that includes a 4 course meal on one night of the stay, it was well worth it. It was only an extra 9 euro but the food was fantastic.

The hotel is spacious, clean with friendly staff, though there was one barman who was more interested in chatting to other female members of staff than actually serving.

The spa suite included a pool, you must wear a head cap, sauna and steam room. There was also a well equipped Gym. There was also a beauty suite but my wife thought that it was ridiculously expensive so didn't use it.

I can't tell you anything about Cavan as we didn't go in to the town itself, the hotel being a 25 minute walk outside.

Breakfast was good and substantial though the bacon was very salty and the sausages surprisingly cheap tasting. You could help yourself to as much as you like from the continental bar; fruit, croissants etc.

I thought the rooms spacious with what you need; TV, kettle etc.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Joe O, General Manager at Cavan Crystal Hotel, responded to this review, 5 October 2013
Hi Andrew,
I hope you enjoyed the wedding with us during your recent stay at the hotel and thank you for taking the time to give us your positive feedback.
I was delighted to hear that you found your visit enjoyable particularly in relation to the food and I have passed on your comments to our staff.
I was surprised you found some things expensive as, like most hotels in Ireland at present, prices have fallen very considerably in recent years but nonetheless we appreciate the comment as we are anxious to consistently offer good value.
I hope you will have the opportunity to visit us again soon and in the meantime thank you again for your feedback.
Joe O'Brien.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Polish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

Stayed in this hotel for one night on the 22nd September. We booked a standard double room and it was very basic. Old skool tv in the room, which i haven't seen for a long time! Surely most hotels would have upgraded to flat screen/wall mounted tvs at this stage?! Not in Cavan it seems! Bathroom was nice and modern although the drains must have been blocked as when showering the water just lodged in the bath for ages and the sink was the same. Bed was so uncomfortable that i actually had aches getting out of it the following morning.
atrium area of the hotel was nice and the bar area was nicely decorated also.
The food was pretty horrendous though. The restaurant didn't open the night we stayed so we ate in the bar. The food was just overdosed in salt. Portion of chips came pre-salted and i hate salt! the cajun caesar salad - the same. Horrible! Breakfast the following morning wasn't much better. The Irish breakfast was very bland and sausages looked like they'd seen better days. My boyfriend ordered the pancakes, thinking they'd be freshly made, but they were ones straight from a packet. Very disappointing to say the least!
Not much in the area around the hotel, about a 5-10 drive into the Cavan town.
Staff were friendly, but i wouldn't return to stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the busy road that's at the front of the hotel
2 Thank premierchick
Hi,
Thank you for posting your review of our hotel after your recent visit to us.
I was naturally concerned to hear of the issues with your stay which you found unsatisfactory and I am sorry if you found some aspects which were not to your liking, particularly in relation to the food where we normally receive very positive feedback.
I would be delighted to respond you directly in more detail should you wish to contact me personally on joeobrien@cavancrystalhotel.com
In the meantime ,thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to hearing from you.
Biggleswade, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

Stayed for 2 nights over a weekend. Had gotten a good rate of 2 nights bed breakfast with dinner on one of the nights at a very reasonable price. We arrived late afternoon and the receptionist was very pleasant and explained the details of the hotel. We had a twin room which was nice and large and has tea/coffee facilities and iron/board plus hairdryer. Beds were a double plus a single - only thing was that the single had a plastic mattress cover on under the sheet which got very hot in the night and I felt quite uncomfortable - they knew there were no children so why put a plastic cover on.
Swimming pool complex not very well used probably because you have to wear a swim hat - we hadn't seen this advertised anywhere and weren't prepared to pay for a hat just for a quick swim. Jacuzzi was not very big - barely room for 4 adults also not warm but was incredibly powerful on one side - you couldn't stay still you were literally tossed around sauna and steam rooms okay.
Restaurant was excellent we had our "included" meal on the first night and had a menu with 4 choices for each course - all of which appealed. Food was excellent cooked nicley to order and with goos sides for the main course. Breakfast were also good plenty of cereals and good choices of cooked food plus toast etc.
Hotel is just outside Cavan with plenty of parking.
One disappointment was that the Glass show/salesroom is no longer at the hotel - we visited 7 years and hoped to buy some more glass.
Excellent place to stay and good centre for touring around the local area.

Hi,
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and thank you for going to the trouble of giving us such detailed feedback which I have circulated to all staff.
Sorry that the glass showroom is no longer open but I believe that the Crystal is still available on line if you are particularly interested in getting some.
I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Cavan Crystal Hotel again in the not too distant future and in the meantime thank you again for your review.
Wexford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

My husband and I stayed in The Cavan Crystal hotel and found it to be very good.the room was very clean and all facilities in the room was excellent.
Water was hot for the bath and bed was very comfy. Also there was no rush to check out on sunday morning. We had Dinner in the Bar and the Fish/Chips are definately the best ever...

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Joe O, General Manager at Cavan Crystal Hotel, responded to this review, 21 September 2013
Hi,
Thank you for your very positive review of the Cavan Crystal Hotel following your visit to us.
I was delighted to hear that you found everything satisfactory and enjoyable and I will pass on your generous comments to our staff.
I hope you will have the opportunity to stay with us again soon and we look forward to welcoming you back.
In the meantime thank you again for your feedback.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights and found the staff as friendly & helpful as usual, particularly Emma & Ruth.

We where put in a suite this year and it what's great.

Have to agree that the food in the bar was slightly below par but dinner in the dining room was very good and the service was prompt and efficient considering the room was full. .

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Hi,
I was delighted to hear that you found the hotel as good as always during your recent stay with us and thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.
It is good to note that the room, the staff and the food in the restaurant contributed to your overall enjoyment of your visit and we take on board your comment on the bar food and we will work towards improving in that area.
Thank you for your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

We are just back from a 1 night stay at the Cavan Crystal Hotel.
The hotel is beautiful from the outside and the lobby/ reception area is also really nice.
On check in the receptionist was very friendly and explained that our room was not ready so we went to the bar for some lunch. I choose a BLT and my husband got a pannini. Both were cold and very disappointing. The bar staff were extremely friendly also.
We had lunch and checked into our room which we found to be cold and a draft coming in the window so we tried to adjust the heating but this did not work. We had to move our babies cot away from the window where it was placed due to the draft. The TV could also do with updating. For a four star hotel it really should have a flatscreen.
We then decided to go for a swim and were informed that the pool was under normal temperature due to a fault so they advised us not to stay too long in it with our small daughter. I found the dressing rooms very cold and in need of upgrading also .
We had dinner in the hotel bar as the restaurant does not open on Sundays. We both ordered curry which we found to be tasteless and watery. We really had expected an improvement following our disappointing lunch!
We had breakfast the next morning and the hostess was very polite and there was a really good selection available. The hot breakfast was fairly average though. The pudding and sausages were not to my liking at all.
The shower in our room had no shower curtain either hence the floor was like a puddle after showering. I also seen another review about the towels. We found them to be very rough also.

This hotel has good and bad points. The exterior and bar/reception areas are really beautiful and modern and all of the staff are really friendly and polite, the tvs in the bedrooms are in need of upgrading, as is the swimming pool changing room. The really really disappointing thing for me was the food.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Carole L
Hi Carole,
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your review of our hotel after your stay with us.
I was obviously concerned to hear of the issues you found disappointing during your visit and may I apologize most sincerely for them. I would very much welcome the opportunity of discussing this with you in more detail, and to that end I would be delighted if you would contact me directly on joeobrien@cavancrystalhotel.com
In the meantime thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to hearing from you.
Joe O'Brien.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cavan
Radisson Blu Farnham Estate Hotel, Cavan
Cabra Castle Hotel
Cabra Castle Hotel
#1 of 2 in Kingscourt
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,239 reviews

Been to Cavan Crystal Hotel? Share your experiences!