“Great Value Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Cavan
Leeds
“Great Value Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

This was our second visit to this hotel having previously stayed in 2012.
We visited in July of this year on a family holiday in Ireland.
We managed to get a deal for 2 nights for 2 adults + children for 190 Euro including breakfast and evening meal on one of the nights.
Check in very friendly and the person checking us in offered us loads of option on where to take the children nearby which was great.
Our room was a Family room with a double and 2 single beds, quite spacious and very clean.
During our stay we managed to use the hotel pool which was very nice, although all of us having to wear a swimming cap was little baffling.
We ate in the Bar on the first night and the Restaurant on the second night. Food was good on both nights but service in the Bar could have been better.
Breakfast was good with lots of choice.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Joe O, General Manager at Cavan Crystal Hotel, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Hi,
Thank you for posting your review following your stay with us during the summer.
I was delighted to hear you found your stay enjoyable and it was good of you to take the trouble to give us your feedback. I have passed on your kind comments to our staff.
Hopefully we will see back at the hotel again but not after such a long interval this time.
Thank you again for your feedback.
Joe O'Brien.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Polish first
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

Stayed in this hotel on a recent weekend break. We had stayed here before but it's been a couple of years since out last visit, glad to say we wont leave it so long until our next visit. every inch of this hotel is spotlessly clean. I was surprised to see each room had bathrobes, its a long time since I seen this. What can I say about the staff, one word, excellent. Ruth & Emma on reception were so helpful, Caroline in reservation was only too willing to help. Niamh in the restaurant is still as efficient and friendly as I can remember on our last stay, and the lady serving the food in the bar, didn't get her name but I have to say she works her socks off. there's plenty to choose from in the breakfast restaurant, cereals, breads, fresh fruit etc. and then the cooked breakfast arrives, hot and tasty, compliments to the chef. even the young girl cleaning our room was friendly and so helpful. Our rooms were cleaned each morning and something I didn't expect, clean towels every morning. We really enjoyed our stay and will most definitely be back, we just won't leave it so long the next time. One very very small point to make, the batteries in the tv remote control were wasted and something that would only add to this excellent hotel would be a small fridge in the room. Thank you to all the staff concerned, well done to you.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MNolanDublin
Hi,
I was delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable stay at the Cavan Crystal Hotel and that the hotel, the food and the staff contributed to that.
I have passed on your generous comments to all our staff.
Hopefully we will see you back again soon and, as you say, don't leave it so long the next time.
In the meantime thank you very much for your feedback.
Drogheda, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

Got a 1 night deal for bed and breakfast. Arrived at hotel where check-in was quick and painless. Entered room and it was clean and spacious. Few small things wrong with room for hotel claiming to be 4 star. The tv for a start. It looks like it was from the late 90s and the view which my wife called a waste land that was the side of the hotel. On the plus side the bed for the night was very,very comfy and the bathroom was superb. Breakfast next morning was a bit strange. We arrived down just before 900 and order was taken promptly. We were having cereal when our breakfast's were plonked on the table literally 10 mins after we ordered. It looked to me like the person on that morning was in a hurry to leave and my suspicions were true and 10 mins later a young guy came out of kitchen and our first server promptly said goodbye to him and left. Strange for someone to leave during a breakfast service. The food it self for breakfast was average surprising for a so called 4 star hotel.
On conclusion hotel has some good and bad points. This was our second time staying here and we did notice a difference between visits. They could do with losing a star and it would be a superb 3 star establishment. Will we be back, probably not!!!

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Discsaber
Hi,
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback following your stay with us. Thank you also for your positive comments but I was sorry to read of the issues you found unsatisfactory and I would be happy to respond to you in detail should you wish to contact me directly on joeobrien@cavancrystalhotel.com
We did have a member of staff who had to go off duty on that morning with a very sore eye and of course they wouldn't have done so at a busy time had it not been necessary.
I do hope you will consider visiting us again as we would welcome the opportunity to restore your confidence in our hotel and if I can be of any assistance in this regard, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Again thank you for your posting.
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

Staed here for two nights on a halloween break, the otel is lavishl decorated and has a lovely bright reception area, every area was spotless and the reception staff were ver friedly. Our room was perfect not a great view but comfortable bed and nice and bright decor etc. We had lunch in the hotel bar and while dining oveheard the staff talking about orders using choice language which was a bit off puting and disappointing. However the staff in the restaurant that evening excelled themselves and the food was 5 star the pistachio parfait was to die for. However the next day our room was not cleaned until 4pm which was a huge inconveience as we have a small baby we had to hang around lobby and bar waiting on room to be cleaned. he breakfast was ok served hot but the first morning we were down an hour and half before they stopped serving and they had no bread, pastries or yogurts on display and they werent repleished. Each morning the same staff member served us our tea and toast and each morning she placed the teapot directly infront of our son in his highchair where he could easily have pulled it down - honestly couldnt believe this you would imagine it would be the first thing you are told when you begin working in a restaurant!!! Overall it deserves its 4 stars it is clean comfortable but like other places staff can let it down and i dont think having your oom serviced at four in the afternoon is acceptable.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Hi,
Thank you for taking the time to give us your detailed comments on the hotel following your visit to us and I was glad to hear that overall you found your stay enjoyable.
Thank you also for giving us feedback on the issues which we could improve and we will be working to do so and my apologies if these in any way took away from your enjoyment.
We hope you will have the opportunity to visit us again soon and in the meantime thank you for your feedback.
northern ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

We have stayed in this lovely hotel before and had great great expectations.
The room was well appointed and had the usual toiletries.
We had to wait for our room even though we arrived slightly after check in time but that was no problem as we had a bar snack while we were waiting which was of very high quality.

Although I enquired about wifi at checkin we were allocated a room which had none. It appears only a selection of rooms have free wifi access.
After a very comfortable night we went down for an early breakfast in the restaurant. My husband couldnt understand why no baked beans???? To be honest I have no great love for baked beans the way my husband has and I really enjoyed my breakfast which was to order.
The porridge was ok but the cooked breakfast was really enjoyable. Loved the little tiny jars of honey or you could have jam or marmalade.
Coffee was Bewleys and really lovely.

The hotel itself is not far away from Cavan Town centre where there are cheap car parks and off street parking. There is also a lot of shopping on the road down to the town.
Would we stay there again - well we have done so already but it would need to be on a special offer

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Hi,
Thank you for giving us your feedback after your stay with us recently.
Thank you also for your kind comments on the hotel and I was delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable stay. We will take on board your comment on the beans and see if we can feature them on our breakfast menu.
We are hoping to expand our WiFi coverage in the new year so that we have full coverage throughout the hotel.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future and again, thank you for your posting.
Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on a Saturday night with my boyfriend. Got a deal on Dealrush, €59 for two with breakfast. The hotel itself is lovely, very impressive. Room was good size and clean. Ate in the bar, food was fine! Breakfast the next morning was great, good selection, although the service wasn't great. We were waiting a good ten mins to order and when our food came I had to ask for our tea and toast, which took about 5 mins to get someone's attention.

During the night from 1am to 4am there was so much noise on our corridor. People in different rooms shouting along the corridor and shouting at people in different rooms. We could hear word for word what they were saying. I understand this was out of the hotels control, but they should have monitored it!

Other than that the hotel itself is very nice and we would have thoroughly enjoyed it had it not been for our disturbed night!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Hi,
Thank you for posting your review of our hotel following your stay with us.
I was glad to read that overall you enjoyed the hotel and its facilities and I have passed on your comments to the relevant staff.
I was sorry to hear there was noise outside your room and had you called down, our staff would have been happy to go up and deal with the situation. I note your comment on the breakfast service and we will keep an eye this issue.
I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon and in the meantime thank you again for your feedback.
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

Nice, clean, warm room. I stayed with two friends in what should have been a triple room but was really a twin room with a spare bed squashed into the corner. The room was already quite small and this made it even harder to navigate. The pool and leisure facilities are accessible to those staying but average in nature. We paid 235e for a one night stay (off peak-Feb), which was over double the amount of any of the other surrounding hotels - however I must admit that this extra payment was not worth it. There is really nothing special about this hotel to justify the price I'm afraid. The surrounding area is very commercial and busy and therefore not attuned to a romantic or quiet getaway, if this is the purpose of your visit. I wouldn't discourage anyone from staying here as it is a nice (yet average) hotel, I just think there are better options out there.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank playforward32
Joe O, General Manager at Cavan Crystal Hotel, responded to this review, 16 November 2013
Hi,
Thank you for giving us your feed back in your review of the hotel.
I was sorry to hear to found he hotel to be average and given the general nature of your comments and the length of time since your visit, it is a little difficult to respond in detail.
However I would be happy to respond to you directly should you wish to contact me at any stage on joeobrien@cavancrystalhotel.com
I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Cavan Crystal Hotel in the near future when I am confident you would find that the hotel lives up to the very positive feedback we receive overall.
In the meantime thank you again for your feedback.
Joe O'Brien.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cavan
Radisson Blu Farnham Estate Hotel, Cavan
Crover House Hotel & Golf Club
Lakeside Manor Hotel
Lakeside Manor Hotel
#1 of 2 in Virginia

Been to Cavan Crystal Hotel? Share your experiences!