“Perfect”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Cavan
Dublin, Ireland
“Perfect”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I stayed here as part of my birthday present - it was fantastic, the spa treatments were fabulous and loved the transition from an indoor to an outdoor pool. Food in the restaurant was gorgeous and the hidden wine bar a gem. Gorgeous walk around the grounds also with breathtaking views. Highly recommend it.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Andrew D, General Manager at Farnham Estate Spa and Golf Resort, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear SarahB2130

Delighted that you had a "perfect" visit for your birthday celebrations.

Thank you so much for your lovely comments, which I have passed to the team. Great that you enjoyed some of our facilities, such as our Health Spa and walks around the estate.

Looking forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Andrew Drysdale

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (433)
  • Greek first
Omagh
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Just arrived back from an amazing, spa break at the farnham estate with my mum and sister , what can i say but just amazing, would happily have stayed again tonight if i could have. From the welcome on arrival to we left we were treated so well. Our room was really clean and served our needs with spectacular views room 238. We enjoyed our spa treatments immensely, the icing on the cake was the infinity pool, amazing to swim outside with the sun beating down this morning, no children under 16 in the pool. Within our party was one vegetarian and one coeliac(gluten free diet) both were catered for with out a problem- the meal in the hotel was stunning!!! breakfast was lovely variety of food or all requirements
when can i next go back, i cant wait

Room Tip: room 238- lovely view handy for spa
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear tracymcgillion

Lovely to read that you had an amazing experience here at Farnham Estate and are planning your next trip!

Thank you so much for your lovely comments, which I have passed to the team and we are delighted that yourself, your mum and your sister had an enjoyble spa break.

We would be happy to welcome you back at anytime and we look forward to extending a warm welcome to you and your family!

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014

My husband and I have just returned from Easter in Farnham Estate.We had a very enjoyable stay. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly especially George, Agnieszka and Ieva. Agnieszka took the trouble to phone our room when a cancellation came up in the restaurant as we had been unable to get a reservation. Ieva was our waitress and was very friendly and attentive. The food was excellent by the way. The staff and food in the cellar also good. The outdoor pool was great but people took advantage of the loungers and hogged them. Think a time limit for the Spa might be a good idea. Bar outside restaurant lacked atmosphere and the sitting rooms looked a bit tired. But the walk to the lake was great. Loved the outdoors. All in all a very positive experience.

Dear lottiemac

Thank you for your lovely Trip Advisor Review.

Delighted that you had a relaxing break here at Farnham Estate. I am glad that you got to use our facilities here at the hotel, our Health Spa and walks in particular and that you enjoyed the experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon for another relaxing break.

Portadown, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014

just arrived back from Farnham today after a totally relaxing stay.staff,room,leisure facilities and walks in the grounds are excellent.would recommend this hotel for totally chilling out.16 and overs are allowed in pool,spa area which is great.

Room Tip: ground floor rooms have patio available and are lovely to sit out on.
Dear id2010

Thank you for your lovely Trip Advisor Review.

Delighted to read that you find us the "best relaxing hotel in Ireland"! This makes all our hard work justified and I have passed your comments to the team.

Thank you for your recommendations and we look forward to welcoming you back to Farnham Estate for another relaxing break!

Dublin
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Have visited this hotel in the past and really enjoyed it so please take this review in the honest spirit that it is meant – constructively – and hopefully helpful for future guests!

To put this in context, we visited the hotel for two nights over the Easter weekend and I booked our room through a third party provider (I think that may have been the reason for the room short-comings to follow – I am completely open to correction on this point!) From the beginning, I had requested a Wood View room, which anyone who has visited the hotel will understand are standard rooms facing outwards, while other standard rooms have a view over the courtyard – same advertised prices. I live in a housing estate and look into other people’s houses all year long so was really disappointed when we received a courtyard view. This in itself isn’t a deal breaker but there are no net curtains on the windows – it’s blackout or nothing – so there is no privacy from your neighbours across the courtyard. The big problem was the window was broken (surely this is something housekeeping would have noted, no?) and maintenance had left for the day when we checked in and there were no other rooms available upon requesting to change (accessible ones on the busy corridor near reception were free but we decided to hold off and just move the next day, as had been offered) so the window was duct-taped closed for the night. We received a lovely little petit-four plate as an apology but it doesn’t really improve on a fairly unacceptable situation. I’ll be honest and say this kind of tainted things for me from the get-go but still had an enjoyable weekend. As a result though, I don’t know how quick I’d be to go back or recommend to others.

On the more specific points:

Good
Location: hotel is ideally located with beautiful walks available around the lakes and woods.
Spa: Lovely therapists, had a great massage and facilities are clean and well – kept and stocked.
Pool: is nice, the infinity pool is lovely, nothing like being outdoors in a heated pool.
Breakfast: is good – variety is fine, not exceptional (my husband recently visited the Radisson in Galway and said the breakfast there is far superior – might be worth a trip to Galway to get some ideas?)
Wine Geese Cellar Bar – love the atmosphere of the bar, nice for a tipple at the end of the day
Dinner: really enjoyed dinner – good tasty food, not pretending to be anything it’s not.
Staff – overall, very friendly and helpful.
Room: when we got the one I requested, lovely view onto the woods and lake, with sliding door (as opposed to window!) Lovely to have slippers and robes and things like wine glasses in the room – small touches that make it all the more enjoyable. Bed was very comfortable. Really like the ‘This Works’ bathroom products also.

Bad
Spa: Thermal Spa is really showing its age – a lot of things not working – buttons cracked etc.
Pool area: Again, starting to show its age. Also there were two attendants on duty but seemed to spend most of their time chatting at the water station when there were lots of towels lying on idle loungers etc.
Dinner: I had the rack of lamb and it was very tasty but felt fairly hard done by when I saw two other diners receive four and five ‘chops’ respectively to my three! Consistency might be something to look at here! Staff are lovely but the majority are very young and quite inexperienced.
Staff: While being very nice, please understand that ‘Sorry’ doesn’t fix issues and isn’t always sufficient. Words are cheap and hotel stays are not!
Wine Geese Cellar Bar: ordered dinner here on our second night. I ordered the fish and chips and when I cut into it, the batter was raw on the inside. I held onto my chips as I was ravenous but when my replacement burger came out with a new set of chips, which were delicious, it confirmed that both my and my husband’s ‘first’ set of chips had been double fried. Please stop this practice immediately – it is unnecessary with the effectiveness of modern day fryers and entirely detracts from the quality you are trying to achieve!

Overall, I really wanted to like this hotel as much as I had done because it’s in such a great location and ticks all the right boxes when looking for a nice, relaxing weekend away with your other half but I think I’ll be spending my money elsewhere next time I’m sorry to say.

Room Tip: Wood View Rooms allow you to enjoy the view
1 Thank Neevus
Dear Neevus

Thank you for your Trip Advisor Review and for taking the time to give your detailed feedback, which we really appreciate.

Please accept our apologies for the problem with the window in your room and I do hope that you were happy with your room move. Nonetheless, I am glad that you had an enjoyable visit with us here at Farnham Estate and thank you for your lovely comments.

I will be discussing your comments with my Management Team and taking any steps necessary to improve our guest experience.

I do hope that you will reconsider your decision and return to the hotel as we would very much like to restore your faith in us.

Looking forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back again to Farnham Estate sometime in the near future.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Hotels generally have positive and negative aspects. Here is no different.
The location and grounds are first class.
The staff are so helpful and friendly, except for one rather rude man in the spa area!
All the porters, reception staff, especially George and Ciara were so helpful and friendly. The staff in the main restaurant and in the cellar bar area were first class.
The bar upstairs in the main lobby area is cold, no atmosphere and staff seemed a little indifferent, to be honest.
We upgraded to a junior suite in the old house. This consisted of a living room on one level with TV, couches, tea and coffee makers etc and then downstairs to a bathroom and bedroom, which, because of the design, was actually quite small for a suite.
In the spa area, all the therapists and reception staff were all very busy. However there was no member of staff to just tidy the place up. There was an absence of waste bins for clients to put their used paper cups.
The pool itself is lovely, except none of the water jets and massage jets were working.
There were some of the footpath areas that just were not clean enough.
I would suggest that a staff member would operate a wet vac down in the pool area before somebody slips and has a serious injury.
Food in the main restaurant was very good, with a good variety of choices on the menu.
Overall, it was a lovely relaxing short break and I would certainly return.

Room Tip: The old house has more character, I think.
Dear JABDublin

Thank you for your feedback in relation to your visit.

I do hope that overall, you enjoyed your visit and thank you for your feedback on areas which you found us lacking, which we really appreciate, as it helps us make our guests' experience more enjoyable.

Delighted to read that you will be returning and we look forward to welcoming you back to Farnham Estate sometime soon!

Dromore, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Stayed on 20th April for 1 night. Arrived early and room was ready within half an hour long before check in time. have stayed in many spa hotels and loved the spa here. Normally you don't get offered so many complimentary options this spa has 2 steam rooms, warm low steam type room, sauna, and 2 feet based options. Load of room around the pool to relax on loungers and also seperate quiet room to relax very few hotels have so many loungers. Loved the outdoor pool bonus was the weather was great. Had dinner in the restaurant it was lovely, loved the dip thing that came with the breads think waitress said it had olives & sun dired tomatoes would have loved a jar to take home. On a bank holiday weekend the hotel was very busy and we were late down for breakfast as we went to the spa but breakfast was good - waitresses were working hard to keep it clean and get tables cleared for more guests to eat.
Note for people reading anything bad - while eating breakfast I noticed the worst guest a hotel could have the constant moaner. She was writing down over 3 pages of petty complaint from things like toasting her bread to eggs not being cooked the same - i would say this is good as not everyone likes hard or soft eggs. Some people have little to do.
Overall very enjoyable stay

Dear wilson139

Delighted that you had an enjoyable visit to Farnham Estate and thank you so much for your lovely comments. We are extremely proud of our staff and facilities here at Farnham Estate and I will pass your comments to the team, as feedback like this makes our efforts all the more worthwhile.

Looking forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Andrew Drysdale
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cavan
Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club
#3 of 4 in Cavan
Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa
Crover House Hotel & Golf Club
Errigal Country House Hotel

Been to Farnham Estate Spa and Golf Resort? Share your experiences!