“Loved it, great Thermal suite”

Farnham Estate Spa and Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Cavan
Dublin
“Loved it, great Thermal suite”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I have stayed in Farnham twice this year already, initially i went in February for 4 days , and loved it so much i immediately booked a weekend in may. If you're looking for a nice relaxing hotel to unwind, de-stress and get away from it all, not too far from Dublin and not too stuffy !!, then this is for you.

Our first stay this year was in one of their suites(it was a special occasion) and it was simply amazing ...such a big bedroom, full length windows running along the entire wall, sunlight pouring in and fantastic views ! Large bathroom with free standing bath (two bathrooms in fact!), huge shower and a separate living room/dining room. Compete with nespresso machine and new variety of capsules added every day.

My favorite part of Farnham has to be the Thermal suite. We loved the pool, especially swimming through to the outdoor pool and interacting with the different water features like waterfall and jacuzzi. But for me the sauna, the tropical and misting showers and in particular the eucalyptus steam room were the highlight.

I had rung around a lot of hotels before booking Farnham as i knew i wanted to spend quite a bit of my time relaxing in the Thermal suite, and i was surprised to hear that most hotels on my list charged extra for this. However unlimited access to the Thermal suite is included in the price of your room in Farnham , which is why i choose it. And im glad i did.

The second time we stayed in a "standard" room and it was so nice we decided we needn't have stayed in the suite the first time. We had just as amazing time the second time. We had a long walk along the lake the day we checked out and it was simple beautiful with the rhododendrons in full bloom and the bluebells scattered throughout the forest floor.

As for food, the first time we stay we ate both in the cellar bar and the restaurant, and we really enjoyed both meals. We had a toasted sandwich in the lobby bar on one occasion and that was only ok. The second time we stayed we had dinner again in the hotel restaurant and couldn't fault it, the steak was amazing and cooked to perfection and our waitress couldn't do enough to make our evening meal special.

I cant wait to go back to Farnham with any luck it'll be before the year is out.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Andrew D, General Manager at Farnham Estate Spa and Golf Resort, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Domino

Delighted that you had a relaxing visit and thank you so much for such lovely comments, which I have passed to the team here at Farnham Estate.

We are very proud of our staff and facilities and it makes it all the more worthwhile when we know our efforts have been justified.

Delighted that you will be returning and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back again for your 3rd visit!

Andrew Drysdale

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (445)
  • Greek first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I chose this hotel to get a 2 night spa getaway and it has absolutely hit the spot. The location is wonderful, spa, pool, staff and breakfast were excellent. I'm already looking forward to my next stay and would definitely recommend this hotel to my friends and family.

Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels

Dear Sandra W

Delighted to read your lovely comments regarding your visit, which I have passed to the team.

Great to hear that you will be returning and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Farnham Estate again soon!

Reviewed 20 May 2014

arrived for check in at three and had to wait 20 minutes for our room. stepped into room and walked on chewing gum. floor had not been cleaned. dust on bedside lampshades. disappointing view out window, attended a wedding and found service slow and main course of beef very tough and vegetables were grossly undercooked. very disappointing experience and would not be inclined to recommend to anybody.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Andrew D, General Manager at Farnham Estate Spa and Golf Resort, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear maria c

Thank you for your Trip Advisor Review.

I am truly disappointed that you did not enjoy your recent visit to Farnham Estate, as we receive so many fabulous reviews and positive comments, especially with regard to our weddings. Please accept my apologies and be assured that I will be discussing the points you raised with my team.

I do hope that you will return sometime in the near future as we would very much welcome the opportunity of restoring your faith in us.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2014

My wife and I stayed at the hotel last Saturday for one night as a break from the kids. The location is stunning and very peaceful. Didn't get the chance to enjoy the grounds but the walks looked very nice.

Upon arrival, we were made to feel very welcome and were shown to our room. We had booked a suite - room 359 - which was in the old house. Very big, clean and loads of character. The room had views over the garden and was a great place to sit and chill out.

We did make use of the spa which I thought was great (it was my first spa experience) although my wife was not as enthusiastic it is still well worth a visit. As we were not eating until late, we went to the Botanica Bar to get a scone and some seafood chowder late afternoon to keep us going - it arrived about 30 minutes later which seemed like an eternity for a scone. It was, however, very tasty.

All was going well until we pitched up for dinner at 9pm - they had got our reservation wrong but quickly corrected that and found us a table without delay. We ordered a bottle of wine and were brought two large glasses of wine instead. When corrected, a bottle was brought out and the waitress poured our wine for us by filling the glasses about three quarters full! She was in training and had obviously never been shown what to do so it wasn't her fault.

We both ordered the blackened tiger prawns as a starter which were excellent and perfectly cooked. We then waited at least half an hour for our main courses (it was about 9.45pm by this point). My wife had ordered the steak with triple cooked chips and I had ordered the turbot with noodles, langoustine and a green lipped mussel. The steak had not been seasoned and instead of being rare as requested, was medium to well. The worst part was that it was so tough a steak knife was needed to cut it. Unfortunately the waitress had disappeared so no knife emerged. Also, the triple cooked chips were very pale, soft on the outside and crunchy in the middle. They were also unseasoned. The mash and vegetables that came as a side order were stone cold - not even slightly warm.

Worst of all was the turbot that had been cooked to within an inch of its life and was pretty much inedible. Even looking at the plate you could tell everything was overdone. The mussel was like chewing rubber and was very unpleasant. My langoustine (which I usually love) was so dried out, there was barely any meat in the tail to get out and it just crumbled away. This was the first meal I have ever not been able to eat in a restaurant. As the waitress had disappeared we muddled through for a while but eventually just pushed it to the side. The maitre d' did come over to apologise and tried to explain to me that triple cooked chips were 'not like normal chips' that I would have tried before but were different. I explained that I had eaten a triple cooked chip before. We explained all of the other problems and he was very apologetic.

We were offered a replacement meal but it was now after 10pm. Whilst starving by this point, I had no desire to wait until 10.30pm until I started eating a main course. Instead we ordered espressos (which were brought over in a large coffee mug???). We got sugar but no spoon and the waitress had disappeared again. We decided to cut our losses and go to the bar.

All in all the meal was a true shocker and really disappointing. However, it was so bad (service and food) I cannot accept this is the norm and we must have got seriously unlucky. We were not charged for the meal which was a nice gesture but I would rather pay a lot for a good meal than not pay for a bad meal.

Notwithstanding the meal, I would go back to the hotel. Staff friendly, nice location and atmosphere, lovely rooms - definitely will be eating in the bar next time though!

Room Tip: A room in the old house is nice if you like a room with character
2 Thank RJones81
Dear RJones81

Thank you for your Trip Advisor Review.

I am so sorry for the dining experience during you recent visit last weekend.

I have spoken at length with the team and I can assure you appropriate action is underway. I have no excuse for your meal experience and our Executive Head Chef wishes to pass on his sincere apologies. Your comments have certainly highlighted some training issues with the restaurant team and these will be addressed immediately.

Delighted that apart from your meal in our Botanica Restaurant, you appeared to have enjoyed other aspects of your visit and your experience will not deter you from returning again and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Ashbourne, Meath, Ireland
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Food was disappointing for a hotel of this price bracket. Staff friendly but I never saw a manager in charge and it showed. Bars not great, so we stayed in our nice room. Beautiful walk down to the lake. Very nice outdoor hot tub, more a small pool really. We had a nice stay but wouldn't spend that money on this hotel again.

Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels

Dear Contributor

Thank you for your Trip Advisor Review.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with your visit and please be assured that I have discussed your comments with my Management Team, who offers their apologies also.

I do hope that you will give us a chance of restoring your faith in us by returning to Farnham Estate sometime in the near future.

Lifford, Ireland
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Myself and my sisters spent a night at the hotel to celebrate my sister's 50th birthday and from the time we booked in to we departed every staff member from top to bottom were so helpful, welcoming and attentive, the meal we had at night was fantastic our rooms were lovely the sp fantastic well done everyone and we will be back

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Andrew D, General Manager at Farnham Estate Spa and Golf Resort, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Bernie M

Thank you for such a lovely review on your recent visit for your sisters 50th birthday!

Delighted that the birthday celebrations went well and I have passed your comments to all the team here at Farnham Estate.

Lovely to read that you will be return and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Andrew Drysale
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

This has been our second visit to the wonderfully elegant estate. The staff are all excellent, friendly & professional. Rooms are clean, welcoming and perfect. Food in both bar and restaurant are excellent, especially the restaurant that has extensive wine list to please any discerning palate.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear MariaMcGuinness

Delighted that you enjoyed your second visit to Farnham Estate and thank you so much for such lovely comments.

We are extremely proud of our staff and facilities and it makes it all the more worthwhile when we know our efforts have been justified, when we receive such a lovely review! I have passed your comments to the team.

I do hope that you will return and we look forward to welcoming you back sometime soon.

Andrew Drysdale
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cavan
Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club
Cavan Crystal Hotel
Cavan Crystal Hotel
#2 of 4 in Cavan
Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa
Errigal Country House Hotel
Killyhevlin Lakeside Hotel & Lodges
Crover House Hotel & Golf Club

Been to Farnham Estate Spa and Golf Resort? Share your experiences!