“Beautiful hotel...BUT...read on for how it was spoilt for us..”

Farnham Estate Spa and Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Cavan
Dublin, Ireland
“Beautiful hotel...BUT...read on for how it was spoilt for us..”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

What a beautiful hotel...surroundings are fab for those who like to walk or run..we arrived exhausted and decided just to sleep and order room service...the food was extremely disappointing and I felt quite nauseous after I discovered a dead spider in my fries...the next day I said it to the lovely receptionist who promised to look into it for me...a little while later the manager contacted me and apologised profusely and that was the end of that situation..but we still couldn't face eating at the hotel so we headed to a fab restaurant in Cavan town called the oak room...10 out of 10 for food and service....the next day I had a fantastic massage and I tried to pay my bill but was told on more than one occasion that the massage had been paid for and I didn't owe anything...I couldn't understand it and thought maybe it had something to do with the food episode...so I spent my money on some pampering products and went back to my room to get ready to leave...after a while I got a call to say there was a mistake and I owed the money for my massage....I couldn't bring the products back as I had opened and used them at this stage....so I ended up paying a lot more for my pamper treatment than I had budgeted for...all in all it was a lovely hotel with lovely staff, just those 2 situations spoilt it for us....

Room Tip: The ground floor room opposite the gym and spa have only curtains on the windows, no netting underne...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank RollerGirl2012
Andrew D, General Manager at Farnham Estate Spa and Golf Resort, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear RollerGirl2012

Thank you for your lovely comments regarding your visit and I am so sorry for the problems that you experienced and for any discomfort or upset caused to you. Please be assured that this is not our normal standard and I have discussed your comments with my Management Team.

I do hope that these issues did not deter you from enjoying other aspects of your visit and that we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon!

Andrew Drysdale

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (433)
  • Greek first
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We stayed at the Radisson Blu Farnham Estate for just one night, but it was great experience! The rooms were lovely and clean, with a nice patio outside the room.
It looks spectacular when you drive up to the estate, the grounds was pristine. There is a great walking trail through the forest that was really fun. It got dark quite fast and we kind of got lost finding out way back, but that made it all the more fun!!
Had dinner at the cellar bar. Food was great and it had a cool atmosphere. Loved it!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Luper3475

Delighted that you had a "wonderful stay at Farnham Estate" and thank you for such lovely comments, which I have pased to the team.

I do hope that you will get a chance to visit us again soon.

Carndonagh, Ireland
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Just returned from a two night midweek stay in a junior suite in the main building, enjoyed the break immensely and really felt the benefit of the tranquil atmosphere that prevailed in both the spa area and hotel grounds. From the moment we made our way up through the tree lined drive to the moment we departed the grounds we were never disappointed, there are two ample car parks about a hundred meters from the main building and the hotel offers a shuttle service and a valet parking service to help get to the foyer, have to say I used neither as it was a great day and the stroll with our luggage through the trees help set up a relaxed atmosphere. We were booked in quickly and efficiently and escorted to our room in the old building. We stayed in the Francis Johnstone room which boasts great views of the grounds and has an open fire which would I imagine be of great benefit in the winter months. I may be a bit picky here but I feel the room is in need of a little TLC, the woodwork is badly in need of a fresh coat of paint, the door to the room does not give a great first impression as the handle was loose and just looked worn out, one of the sash windows was unable to be opened due to a broken cord and a mass of electrical wires was visible behind the TV, all minor niggles but so easy to put right with a minimum of effort.
We ate in the cellar bar and found the staff both courteous and efficient, the food was speedily delivered to our table and we'll prepared and I think good value when you consider the surroundings.
Both mornings of our stay were started off with a great breakfast buffet, a good choice whatever your requirements are and good table service, complementary newspapers were close to hand and any requests were dealt with in a professional manner.
My wife did not book any treatments so I can't comment on that area of the spa but it appeared to be busy on any occasion we went by so that's a good sign in itself. I made use of a very well equipped gym and really enjoyed the spa area, you really appreciate the adults only area when you have kids of your own :-). Plenty of loungers and quiet areas if you just want to relax and read a book or you can avail of the the many steam rooms and other facilities that are dotted around the spa.
Overall a very enjoyable stay and we would hope to return in the future, I think you would get better value by booking a standard room in the new part of the building as opposed to a suite on the older side as I think the suites lack the "wow" factor we were looking for. A special word of praise for the team that cleaned our room during our stay, my side was in disarray before breakfast and when I returned all my clothes were folded neatly away out of sight, something I usually do myself but greatly appreciated when done by someone else.

Room Tip: Book a room in the new building as the suites are a little bit tired and a tad overpriced
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Donal F

Great to read your lovely review and delighted that you enjoyed the tranquil atmosphere here at Farnham Estate.

Thank you for your feedback in relation to your suite, which I have inspected and it is now on our "to do list".

I do hope that we will get the chance of welcoming you sometime soon!

Kilkenny, Ireland
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We stayed at Farnham for 4 nights. We had a amazing time. if relaxation is what you are after this is definitely the place to stay! We didn't have any treatments in the spa and we still spent hours between the pool and thermal suites. We were able to go from our room to the spa in our robes and it was just amazing.
We had breakfast and dinner in the hotel for the 4 nights and we cannot fault the food. In one section of the cellar bar the lighting is quite poor and we weren't really able to see our food - but it didn't stop us going back and since you can pick your own table we sat in another area of the bar. The food was lovely and we cannot fault it.
We hired the bikes from the spa one morning and cycled around the estate, but we got a small bit lost and cycled the 18 holes of the golf course before we found the routes through the forest and up to the lake - this was gorgeous - a lovely way to spend a morning.
There is not a lot to do in Cavan town which is only a few miles away, we went on day trips to Enniskillen and visited the Marble Arch Caves and Florence Court House and went horse-riding with Woodford stables.
It was an amazing few days and we were so sad to leave!! I would recommend it to everyone!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Claire B

Thank you for your lovely Trip Advisor Review and delighted that you enjoyed your visit to Farnham Estate so mich.

Glad that you enjoyed all the facilities and I do hope that you will get the chance to visit us again soon!

Dundalk, Ireland
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

Spent 2 nights here for a family wedding. Rooms in extension are big, warm and modern. Excellent bathrooms. Nice nature walks by the lake to stretch the legs. Heated indoor & outdoor pool to relax and unwind. Spa facilities are great for unwinding. Facilities for wedding reception are more than satisfactory. Well worth a stay for a relaxing weekend or wedding.

Stayed July 2013
Dear David D

Delighted that you enjoyed your 2 night break here at Farnham Estate for a family wedding.

I do hope the wedding went well and Farnham Estate will always hold special memories for you and your family.

Looking forward to welcoming you back for another relaxing break!

McMurdo Station
Reviewed 12 June 2014

After touring with friends and family around France and Ireland for seven weeks, I knew I'd need a break to myself to recharge. I booked a 3-night B&B Getaway package and it exceeded almost all of my expectations. From stepping out of the car upon arrival to getting back in after checkout, the service was top notch, friendly, and cheerful. The rooms were filled with surprising and delightful furnishings that really created a sense of place. I say surprising because in unusual shapes, colors, and overall designs they collaborated in making quite a statement without being distracting. I had a room close to the spa but with a lovely view and a nice little patio. The amenities and toiletries were quite nice and welcome and, as a luxuriating bath-lover, the tub was perfect. Even so, soaking isn't the best of what Farnham has to offer because there's also the spa.

The spa is home to some great treatments (I had the monthly special, a new treatment with a bit of everything!) and therapists but most of the staff were fairly dismissive and regarded me sighs and pursed lips as if I were more of a nuisance than a valued guest (except Agnes, my therapist. She was a marvellous and much needed exception that really brightened my day). Those grumpy pills aside, what really drew me to Farnham in the first place was their Water Mint Thermal Suite and massive indoor/outdoor combo infinity pool. Oh my goodness, just thinking about it relaxes me all over again. Without spoiling too many surprises, you'll forget you're even on Earth in here. Ethereal music plays while you enjoy the standard dry sauna or wet steam room, but there are also massaging foot baths, a Roman laconicum (also spelled laconium sometimes), experience-based showers, a relaxation room with a stellar view, and more. Definitely my favorite feature of the hotel.

My package included two, full-course dinners in their Botanica restaurant and I had two VERY different experiences there. My first night, I had an amazing experience. I had a nice view of the estate grounds, very attentive and friendly staff whirling about me, and an absolutely amazing dinner with courses including saddle of rabbit, pork two ways, and a warm chocolate pudding
with chocolate sauce and honeycomb ice cream. Someone also surprised me before I left with a takeaway plate of chocolates in rose, mint, and other flavors to enjoy in my room! A wonderful experience. I booked the second dinner for the last night of my stay as a nice farewell, but the experience couldn't have been more counter to my first one. I felt forgotten. The staff must've been the B-Team because I couldn't get anyone to offer more than a "uh huh" or "yeah, what else?" to me the whole evening. It was very bizarre compared to the first night so spent most of my meal very confused as to why it was so incredibly different. Hardly a way to enjoy oneself. The meal that night included courses of delicious prawns and lackluster, tough lamb the latter of which was ordered medium-rare and came out quite well done. I asked about it and the server said "yeah, sometimes that's the way", smiled, and left. Very confusing. To be clear, this evening had no faces I recognized and I hope was just an anomaly in the restaurant's operations. I'm beating a dead horse, but it was awful while the first one was magical and perfect. I'd be willing to bet that most nights are like the good one.

The property itself leaves you with no argument for boredom or disappointment. Outdoors there are incredible walks (bring shoes you don't mind getting muddy because they WILL get muddy, even if it hasn't rained for a week) with moss carpets, stately trees, and peaceful loughs. Indoors there is history, glamour, and inviting lounges (ask to see the Pink Room!), sitting rooms, and unique suites. In short, you'll be dazzled without being blinded by glitter. It's really a perfect place, inside and out.

This was my first stay as a Club Carlson member and has piqued my interest in other Radisson properties that I'm now keen to investigate and explore. Stay here. You'll want to come back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank LarryFabulous
Dear LarryFabulous

Delighted that you enjoyed your 3 night break here at Farnham Estate and thank you for taking the time to post such a lovely detailed review.

I am truly sorry for your experience in our Botanica Restaurant on your second night and as you are aware, this is certainly not our norm and I have discussed your comments with our Restaurant Manager.

I do hope that you will get the chance to visit us again soon!

Donegal
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 night with my husband recently. All I can say is WOW! We were welcome by Elaine on reception who was very friendly & efficient. We did arrive early so our room wasn't quite ready but we didn't mind having a drink outside in the Courtyard as we waited. Our room was out of this world, large sitting & dining area, mini-bar & coffee machine. Massive bedroom area with a super king bed, lovely bathroom with large sink in bath. We also had a balcony overlooking the estate. We ate in the Botanica Restaurant which was just beautiful, I haven't had a meal quite like it in a while every mouthful was an experience! Breakfast was lovely with a wide range to cater for everyone. We also visited the pool & thermal suite which are well looked after, it's lovely just sitting by the pool watching the world go by. We don't often get away for a night with 3 young kids but this place is definitely worth a visit. Can't wait to go back very soon:-)

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ShamMarie
Dear ShamMarie

Delighted that you had an amazing visit to Farnham Estate and enjoyed all the facilities.

Great to hear that you enjoyed our Health Spa and I do hope that you will get the chance to visit for another relaxing break sometime soon!

Andrew Drysdale
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cavan
Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club
#3 of 4 in Cavan
Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa
Crover House Hotel & Golf Club
Errigal Country House Hotel

Been to Farnham Estate Spa and Golf Resort? Share your experiences!