“Appalling bad manners”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Cavan
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Appalling bad manners”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

On the 22nd March 2014 my husband and I attended a wedding in Farnham Estate. When we reached the hotel on the day of the wedding, at 2 pmish we were unable to access our room until 5.15 pm, despite being assured that the room would be ready asap and that they had put an "urgent" request on it. The Front of House staff could not have cared less. At one time I was told that they were very busy because they had a wedding on! The girl on the desk was wearing a filthy blouse still smeared with yesterday's make-up. When we did eventually get our room and retrieved our bags from the porter's room we had the joy of carrying our own bags up to our room. The breakfast the next day was a disgrace, They kept running out of food items and everyone you approached either disappeared never to return or pointed at someone else to sort it out, which they did not do. While our room was good and the Spa excellent I decided to write to the Management to ask for an explanation for their appalling service. I emailed a P Mooney, who is/was the Manager in Charge of weddings on the 10/4/14. I did not receive a reply. So I left for a month and upon getting a "flyer" to take another break in the hotel I decided to write again. This time I wrote to an Andrew Drysdale, The General Manager on 8/5/2014, again by email. You guessed it, I am still waiting for both/either person to write back to me!. Believe I do not wish to visit the Farnham Estate again, all I wanted was an apology and an explanation. In my emails to both persons I even congratulated them on the room and Spa but apparently this isn't good enough. Give this place a miss, they very obviously don't want any criticism from the people who pay their wages.

Room Tip: Don't bother going.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank John M
Andrew D, General Manager at Farnham Estate Spa and Golf Resort, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear John M

Thank you for your Trip Advisor Review.

Firstly, I apologise for the fact that no one got back to your original email. On investigation, it seems that we did receive it, but unfortunately, due to various team members being out of the office, it was not distributed to the correct people and I can only apologise for this total breakdown in communications on our behalf.

With regard to the second email that you sent to myself, I have checked my emails and do not appear to have received it. Our IT Department is currently checking this out for me.

Please be assured your comments have been treated seriously and followed up by me personally. I am very sorry we did not live up to your expectations and welcome your feedback, which is invaluable to us.

I do hope that you will reconsider your decision and return to Farnham Estate, as we would very much welcome the opportunity of restoring your faith in us.

Andrew Drysdale

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
  • Greek first
County Londonderry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We attended a wedding here and stayed for two nights. Our standard room was very comfortable an very well equipped. Food and service was excellent and the hotel facilities were very good. It is a really relaxing place to stay with a great spa and pool and lovely walks through the estate.

Dear Derek C

Thank you for your Trip Advisor Review and we really appreciate you taking the time to share your views.

Delighted that you had a relaxing visit and enjoyed the hotel's facilities.

Looking forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Farnham Estate again soon.

Monaghan
Reviewed 22 June 2014

The Farnham Estate is amazing. This is my favourite spa & hotel in Ireland. The food is delicious and the rooms are spacious and ultra comfortable. The hotel is set in beautiful woodlands and a golf course. There are lovely walking tracks and a wonderful heating outdoor pool which you can access from the indoor pool and spa area. The spa is also top class with lots of steam rooms and a sauna. The staff are always friendly and helpful It's our home away from home. A visit to the Farnham Estate is a must for everyone who truly appreciates total relaxation in luxurious surroundings.

Dear noellek158

Thank you for such a lovely Trip Advisor Review and lovely comments, which I have passed to the team.

Delighted that you experienced "total relaxation" here at Farnham Estate and I do hope that you may have the chance to visit us again soon.

Ireland
Reviewed 21 June 2014

My husband and I stayed for a 2 night break. Views of the original house set in lovely parkland, which feature in the promotional material and website, are what you see on approach. It is lovely but serves to conceal a vast monolithic modern building, which is at the rear. The portico forms part of the reception area and looks great. The car park is a short walk away, there is valet parking, a courtesy bus and a drop off area at the door. Reception staff were professional and efficient. We were early but were accommodated without any palaver. The room was nice, spacious and had a patio area which was a bonus. The hotel itself is a story of 2 halves. The original house has 3 reception rooms and guest accommodation on the upper floors. The decor is traditional in one room and a ramped up spin on traditional country house in the other 2 rooms. During our stay these areas weren't used much. It would have made a most lovely lounge/ tearoom? The bar/ lounge area is near reception on a mezzanine level. It lacked any atmosphere, almost like sitting in an airport. There is an area outside which was fine but enclosed by the modern building with no view of the parkland. The bar menu was fine for sandwiches/ snacks, but not meals. There is a bar in the basement, The Wild Goose bar. Parts of this are ' cavern' like with exposed red brick vaulted ceilings. The menu is the same as the lounge upstairs. Unfortunately, like caverns, this was on the claustrophobic side and really warm. For a large hotel there were not a lot of common areas to sit and relax. We didn't use the spa- quite a few wandering around in white robes which gave a 'hospital' vibe. Botanical restaurant - waiting staff nice but food over priced and average at best. The breakfast buffet is in the same area, the choice was very good.
Sleep quality was good, the room was warm and a bit stuffy, but one of the windows was tilt and turn so easily sorted!
There is a parkland 18 hole golf course, get a buggy! It's a long walk from Tee-box to tee-box. It cost 100 euro for a four-ball including 2 buggies.This was good value. It's a nice course. There are lots of walking trails as well. The grounds are well kept and lovely. In general I felt the hotel was functional, comfortable but was almost sterile, you could be anywhere in the world.

Room Tip: This is a big hotel, if possible get a room with a patio as there are very few common areas for rela...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SeeWhatDSees
Dear SeeWhatDSees

Thank you so much for your Trip Advisor Review and delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit to Farnham Estate.

We do appreciate your lovely comments, which I have passed to the team.

I do hope that you may get a chance to visit us again soon.

N. Ireland
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

We had a lovely and relaxing stay for two nights at the Farnham estate last week. Excellent service from a trainee at reception to start. We decided to upgrade to a junior suite and we're given the Deepark room. I love period features and it didn't disappoint, with a huge shower, roll top bath, sash windows and traditional fireplace. I loved the mix of old and new with the traditional rooms to relax and modern bar areas to eat. The weather was fantastic and we loved the spa in the afternoon after taking walks through the beautiful grounds .

For us there were a couple of minor negatives which is why we haven't given 5 stars. We ate in the cellar bar both nights, the first night was very busy which we were advised of however, a bowl of soup took an extremely long time to come and after another wait my husbands burger was dry and tasteless and chips are very average. I enjoyed my dinner both nights and would highly recommend the tortellini. We used the gym twice and cleaning standards were definitely not to the same level. The mirrors were dirty, floors upswept and there was a massive spider Web in one corner with loads of flies suggesting it hadn't seen a duster in a while. Although these were a couple of niggles, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Chrissy220786

Thank you for your lovely Trip Advisor Review.

We are delighted that apart from a couple of minor negatives, you thoroughly enjoyed your visit and thank you for bringing these issues to our attention.

Thank you also for your lovely comments, which I have passed to the team.

I do hope that you will get the chance to visit us at Farnham Estate again soon.

Strabane, Ireland
Reviewed 18 June 2014

could not have been better I would strongly recommend this venue great staff inc Patsy wedding coordinator...great food & facilities many nooks & crannies to explore enjoyed the leisure centre & golfed with my son on the morning of the great event the separate building for the wedding is a wonderful idea as it kept the guests in close proximity

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Dear James & Mabel G

Thank you so much for such a lovely Trip Advisor Review in relation to your son's wedding here at Farnham Estate.

We really do appreciate your lovely comments, which I have passed to the team, including Patsy our Wedding Co-Ordinator.

I do hope that Farnham Estate will always hold special memories for you and your family and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 17 June 2014

we only had an overnight stay in Farnham but it felt like we had been away for a long weekend, its just so relaxing, the staff were so friendly and professional, the food was amazing, the rooms very lovely and the spa is one of the best ive ever been to. definitely recommend it.

1 Thank Rachel E
Andrew D, General Manager at Farnham Estate Spa and Golf Resort, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Rachel E

Delighted that you had such a relaxing stay in Farnham Estate and that your one night away felt like a longer break!

Thank you for your lovely comments, which I have passed to the team and I do hope that you will get the chance to visit us again soon.

Andrew Drysdale
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cavan
Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club
#3 of 4 in Cavan
Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa
Crover House Hotel & Golf Club
Errigal Country House Hotel

Been to Farnham Estate Spa and Golf Resort? Share your experiences!