“Beautiful place, lovely location, poor food, breakfast motel standard”

Farnham Estate Spa and Golf Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Cavan
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This hotel is a very long way from Dublin but worth the drive. It is in a perfect location and the facilities are excellent. Staff are very welcoming and will do anything to help out. We held a conference there and it was very accommodating. Despite a huge wedding on the Saturday all our needs were catered for. The main disappointment is the food. I had emailed in advance to say I had dietary needs and it seemed as if they had completely ignored them. When I was finally served the fish was grey and flaccid, vegetables were overcooked, the meat was tasteless, the choice of puddings was limited most being creamy and fatty. My room service breakfast was forgotten and when it arrived the whole meal was lacklustre - the toast, the muesli and yoghurt was bog standard supermarket. With beautiful countryside I had expected fresh produce, home made muesli or granola, thick yoghurt and home made bread. I was served the kind of breakfast you would find in a low level motel. Come on Farnham, if you want to be seen as a luxury estate you need to find better produce or a new chef.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the main house if you want a quiet night.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Andrew D, General Manager at Farnham Estate Spa and Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear heywood08

Thank you for your Trip Advisor Review in relation to your recent conference here at Farnham Estate.

Delighted to read that your conference went well and you were well looked after.

I am truly sorry for any disappointment with food during your visit and I wish to assure you that this is certainly not our normal standard. I have discussed your points with my Executive Head Chef, who offers his apologies also.

I do hope that you will return, as we would very much welcome the opportunity of restoring your faith in us.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

we stayed in the hotel as part of a wedding part lovely hotel everything is very high quality. Drink and food prices were above normal for that area expensive room rates for a weekend. Because of the way they operate their spa area it was very difficult to use in the allocated time period.

Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels

Dear Martin T

Delighted that you enjoyed your visit to Farnham Estate for a wedding.

Thank you for your feedback regarding your visit and I am sorry for any disappointment caused.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to Farnham Estate again soon.

Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night while attending a wedding..The grounds itself are beautiful however parking is away from the hotel and although they provide a shuttle bus I still found it quite annoying especially as we forgotten something in the car and it was quite a trek back.
The hotel is beautiful and the staff were very professional and friendly.The interior design in our room was very impressive and we were quite happy with the room.
The wedding reception room was beautiful and food could not be faulted.
The bar however was very slow on the night and it was quite clear there was simply not enough staff to deal with the number of people.
Myself and a friend also visited the spa and were very impressed.The treatments were very well done and thoroughly enjoyable.The outdoor pool is also a very interesting feature.
Overall I think this hotel is lovely for a weekend break and would recommend to others to visit.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Bsanv

Delighted that you enjoyed your visit to Farnham Estate for a wedding and thank you for your lovely comments.

Our car park is situated to the far left of the building. This was a conscious decision so as not to destroy the spectacular views of the estate which are visible from the old house.

I am sorry that bar service was slow on the night and I have discussed your comments with my Bar Manager, who offers his apologies also.

Delighted that yourself and your friend enjoyed your treatments and the facilities in our Health Spa.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to Farnham Estate again soon.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

The wedding experience was highly satisfactory. The facilities are good; hospitality service is also good. Spa staff were a little curt. Amenity areas and ambiance are good. More outdoor seating at entrance to Wedding suite area would be a welcome addition.

Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels

Dear Jim (Junior) O

Delighted that you enjoyed your visit to Farnham Estate for a family wedding and thank you for your lovely comments.

Thank you also for your feedback in relation to outdoor seating and this is something that we will certainly look into.

I do hope that you will get a chance to visit us again soon.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

My husband surprised me by bringing me away here for 3 nights. We arrived handed our keys to the porter and didn't collect them until we left. A walk in the grounds, dinner in the wine bar and a drink in the gardens watching the sunset at 11pm was a lovely first day. Day two was breakfast in bed and then went to the spa from 11am until 7pm...yes the whole day at the pool, the thermal suite and a massage treatment. We even had lunch here. Day 3 we went for a walk and brought a picnic to the lake and finished the day with dinner in the restaurant and a drink in the old sitting room. It is the perfect place to unwind and relax and is ideal for couples wanting a rest. Staff are great, building is lovely, grounds are wonderful. I am wondering when he is taking me back.

Room Tip: The Dromellan Suite has very large windows and only blinds so doesn't get dark in the summer. Th...
1  Thank TracyHI

Dear TracyHI

Delighted that you enjoyed your surprise visit to Farnham Estate and what a lovely gesture from your husband.

Thank you for your lovely comments, which I have passed to the team.

Looking forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

We spent a Wedding Anniversary here as a little treat and getaway and it totally fulfilled our expectations!
The location is wonderful and the facilities are amazing!

Our room was modern with lovely decor and a great size.
The spa is just fantastic! I would really recommend a visit and the pool and thermal suite is must! The thermal suite is a relaxation area all on its own and coupled with the amazing indoor/outdoor pool, our legs were like jelly when we left! It was a surreal experience swimming outside in the rain in Ireland at the end of September!

The food=1st Class! The breakfast is without question the best we have ever experienced, from choice, to freshness and service, we looked forward to it each day! We ate twice in the restaurant and it was fantastic! We barely spoke a word to each other during the meal, as we were enjoying our food so much!

We also went walking and cycling around the estate and it was great. At Farnham you just park the car and unwind, there is no need to leave during your stay! We hope to return!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Konigafon

Delighted that you had a relaxing wedding anniversary here at Farnham Estate and thank you so much for such lovely comments, which I have passed to the team.

We are extremely proud of our staff and facilities here at the hotel and when we receive such a nice review, it makes our efforts all the more worthwhile!

I hope that you will get a chance to visit us again soon.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

If reading this review please read through to the end.
Sometimes problems occur but they don't have to ruin your break, it is the way these problems are handled by the hotel which ruins or makes your stay.This was a weekend away with my wife to take a badly needed rest, I booked a suite in the older part of the building, being a Club Carlson member for many years I thought I new what to expect.

We arrived on Sunday 22nd of June.
Our first impressions were positive, check-in was efficient, it is when we arrived at our suite (the Dromellan suite) that the problems started, this is a split level room not a 4* suite, it wouldn't even qualify as a suite in the North American 3* Radisson hotels by either size or furnishings.
The shower design is a disaster, the blinds do not block any of the summer's early morning light, the toilet seat was loose and fell off after a day, there is only one TV and it is located in the bedroom area, the lights flicker non stop because the fittings are burnt out, there is no wardrobe just a storage area under the stairs, there is no phone in the sitting area which has a view of a metal roof with constant humming from the kitchen extractor fans. I tried to call down to reception and give them my opinion of the room but by then they were mobbed, there seemed to be only a porter and one receptionist on duty assisted by a duty manager who was on full time check in duty.

We decided to leave it until after breakfast the next day but by then the reception was mobbed with long queues again, so we gave up and spent a very enjoyable day at the pool and SPA, I was further disappointed in the evening when I found out that we had to eat in the wine bar again as I didn't think we would need to book a table in the main restaurant on a Monday night, the Wine bar is nice for a meal but for some reason it has a very restricted Wine list and menu (not even a Steak on the menu) when you consider the wine list available in the main restaurant the wine bar's wines list is ridiculous and the "Wild Geese" theme is no excuse for this.

However our luck was about to turn, after dinner the reception desk was empty, the young man on duty listened to my complaints attentively and took notes of everything I said, he then asked if it would be OK for the duty manager to contact us the next morning. We received a call from Sonia who apologised and asked if she could show us a different room. It did take some time as she got stuck at reception helping the lone receptionist checking out guests but she showed us an other suite on the next floor up. The difference was unbelievable, this room fulfilled all our expectations and even had black out curtains, the rest of our stay made up for our earlier disappointments, by the time we returned from a walk and picnic by the lake that evening our luggage had been moved. We finished off the day with a lovely meal and nice wine in the restaurant.

In spite of the negatives and in great part thanks to the way these issues were handled by the staff when we made them aware of them we had a very enjoyable stay, the staff are genuine and helpful, the SPA and pool are very nice as is the main restaurant, if you are looking for a restful break in nice surroundings then Radisson Blu Farnham Estate is where you should go.

Room Tip: If paying for a suite ask for one on the top floor of the old building at either end, the Dromellan...
2  Thank R129

Dear R129

Delighted to read that you intend returning to Farnham Estate!

Apologies for any disappointment and I am glad that Sonia & Matthew were able to resolve the problems and that you enjoyed your visit.

Looking forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Andrew Drysdale

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cavan
Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club
#3 of 4 in Cavan
The Farnham Arms Hotel
Errigal Country House Hotel
Killyhevlin Lakeside Hotel & Lodges

Been to Farnham Estate Spa and Golf Resort? Share your experiences!