“Consistently excellent bar food”

Aherne's Townhouse Hotel Youghal
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Youghal
Cork, Ireland
“Consistently excellent bar food”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I visit Ahernes for their bar food fairly regularly - it's always a very high standard. Aherne's seafood chowder is the best I have ever tasted ...I would love to know their recipe! Some of the options are a little pricey (for lunchtime) but there is plenty to choose from so you can decide to splurge or not. Aherne's has a great reputation which the owners certainly work hard to maintain and this is obvious.
The reason I decided to add this review is that they need some help on the coffee/cappuccino offering - I don't know if is their machine, the coffee or the way it's made....but it needs to be drastically improved (perhaps train one of the staff as a barrista??). A great coffee rounds off a meal - their food is so good, it's a shame to end on lousy coffee.
On a good note - well done to Aherne's for being a gourmet gem for seafood in Youghal!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Babserella

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Stopped en route to Kerry in Ahernes and was welcomed by Ann who was so welcoming and so helpful. She couldn't do enough for us and we were travelling with our 7 week old baby. We ate in the restaurant and had the yummiest starters - crab claws and my partner had the prawns in garlic - both to die for. We ordered more seafood for main course (when in Rome....!) and we were so impressed again. The portion sizes were very generous. Ann served us here also and again we were well looked after. The room we had was basic enough, nothing luxurious but all we needed was a bed and I just loved the welcome we got and how well we were looked after. Breakfast was very good too and again the staff were very nice and chatty - I think we had the owners waiting on us. I will be back again and will be having the crab claws and garlic prawns also so I may have to stay 2 nights the next time!!! Ireland really does hospitality well and Ahernes is one place I have to say does it real well.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank LouLM
Reviewed 1 August 2014

The food is always consistent, great quality food made from lovely fresh ingredients. The tasting menu is worth trying, it is a great show of Irish food. Great pianist adding to the atmosphere, she has a wonderful selection of music which really compliments the wonderful food.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed here on a whim last Saturday night and were totally blown away. We checked in to our well appointed townhouse suite shortly after 2 pm. We had a huge room with private access, kitchenette, loads of space and beautiful antiques. The colour scheme was not exactly to my taste but I appreciated that the room clearly had a theme, and I much prefer staying in hotels that have some charm and character, rather than hotels with magnolia everything...

As the weather was so nice we decided to stroll around Youghal for a few hours enjoying the sun in various beer gardens, taking note of where we were going to visit again after dinner.

The dinner was absolutely amazing. I really cant rave enough! The dining room was so tastefully decorated ad the piano player in the room really enhanced the atmosphere.The service was friendly, personal, and so efficient. This restaurant sets a benchmark for what all Irish restaurants should aim to achieve. We were on the set menu but decided to stray and were kindly advised that it would be no problem and that the set menu had a budget of 30 euro each so we only had to pay for whatever went above that. The wine list is extensive, and we were really spoiled for choice, having decided we were set on both having a full seafood meal we settled on the Verdejo which complemented our choices perfectly! I had the crab claws to start and the hot seafood platter as a main. All I can say is that it was faultless. Seafood cooked to perfection, delicious sauces, and everything piping hot. It was really one of the best meals in my life! My better half went for the garlic prawns (Loads of garlic but so tasty, could have benefited by being served with a porous bread like ciabatta to soak up the delicious oil) and the scallops and monkfish, again perfectly cooked, and well presented.

Next time my aim is to do the tasting menu, We unfortunately had booked our dinner for 8 pm and hadn't realized the tasting menu only runs from 7... We know for next time!

The breakfast was equally polished, Excellent quality ingredients and very well cooked and presented. the poached pear was delicious and totally unexpected!

Overall I cant recommend Aherne's enough. The welcome we received was great and the attention and care we received from both management and staff through out the stay was the best Irish hospitality I have ever witnessed!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Windsor
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Stayed with my family for 2 nights. Had an amazing seafood meal in the evening, not particularly cheap but the quality and friendly service was well worth it. No complaints about the food. Hotel is simple but the only issue I had was the double bed was so bad I slept on the floor, changed beds with kids next night as the other was perfect. I told management and I guess they'll sort it out but no offer of a refund or anything else.... I don't expect perfection in any place and will not score them down on this but they could have handled it a bit better.
Breakfast was fantastic and all in all I would recommend this place and I would go back, so that says it all!

Room Tip: We got nosy and looked in a few open rooms, they all looked good! Upstairs rooms have a balcony.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank PaulFogg
Cork
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Many decades ago I remember tasting my first mussels in garlic butter in Aherne’s……and the impression remains.

In May this year we stayed overnight for a family get together.Decided to go for the fillet cooked “blue” as the main course. And true blue it was…...to perfection. The benchmark for all future blue adventures but I don’t expect it ever to be surpassed, or even equalled.

Excellent food all round and a very enjoyable stay.

Professionalism.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Bangor Co Down
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed in Aherne's after our drive down from the North of Ireland, a very warm and welcoming place to stop with well appointed large room. We had our evening meal and that was just super in every aspect, both food and service great. Breakfast was a little shabby in it's presentation and indeed it's content but by no means the worst I have had.

Stayed July 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Youghal
The Old Imperial Hotel
#1 of 1 in Fota Island
Castlemartyr Resort
Castlemartyr Resort
#1 of 2 in Castlemartyr

Been to Aherne's Townhouse Hotel Youghal? Share your experiences!