Aherne's Townhouse Hotel Youghal
Bayview Hotel(Ballycotton)
US$184
  • Beachfront
Priceline
All reviewstasting menuseafoodscallopsdrawing roomplaicepoached pearfantastic mealtop classfresh fishjunior suitesummer puddinglovely homemadelovely sitting roomopen firemain courseirish hospitalityfreshly squeezed orange juice
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here and had dinner also. Room lovely and very clean bathroom. Lovely antique furniture, bathroom slightly dated but extremely clean. We had dinner which was nice in general but expected it to be better from past reviews. Very good service and nice decor, again public toilets dated and tired looking . Breakfast was lovely and there was a good selection of fresh food and cooked to order menu. Overall a nice spot and would go back.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EJ1966
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We stayed in the family room of Ahernes and found the rooms exceptional, the food in their restaurant was second to none. The rooms were old style modern and were spotless, The owner couldnt do enough to make our stay perfect. I would recommend Ahernes to anyone who likes comfort, good food and a feeling of being at home in a place.

Room Tip: For a family room 2 adults and 2 children 160 euro
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 August 2014

The rooms are very comfortable but the main attraction of visiting Aherne's is the food. We stayed on an Ireland Blue Book package deal. The first night we had a bar meal and the second night the full a la carte menu in the restaurant. The meals on both nights were outstanding and together with a full Irish breakfast we were glad to move on for our waistlines sake.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I want to be treated properly as a customer because the staff want to be friendly and nice and not because they have to be. There is a world of difference in these two points what you get in Aherne's is genuine friendliness with professional service. We had booked 2 rooms for 3 nights, we required 1 to be on the ground floor for our elderly parents who had mobility issues and the other to be one of their dog friendly rooms. No issues on arrival we got exactly what we required and a whole lot more. Rooms are very spacious, in particular the dog friendly room which is on the second floor. The room has a large bathroom, kitchen and very large bedroom. I've seen smaller apartments. Breakfast was terrific all freshly cooked to order no mountains of food lying around buffet style here. We had dinner on our first night, Hake was the special of the evening but as we all different tastes each required the chef to take away or add something which was no issue what so ever. We were very lucky with the weather which made it easier for us to all have our breakfast together in the mornings. There was a table set up for us each morning outside with no fuss. Failing that we could have had our breakfast in our room as although Aherne's is a dog friendly accommodation our 4 legged friends are not allowed within the hotel itself. None the less they have made sure everything you should require is contained within the dog friendly room. I do believe Ireland is lagging behind Europe considerably in pet friendly accommodation but Aherne's is not one of them.
The only reason I'm not giving Aherne's a 5 is I thought the price of our meal was a bit on the stiff side.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank T900i
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Myself and another friend checked in for a night to Aherne's. After checking in, we decided along with to eat in the restaurant. Halfway through eating I noticed something that concerned me in the middle of my dish. It appeared to me and to my friend to be a maggot or slug. I reported this to the waitress who took it away and came back to tell me that the chef said that it was a piece of celery. To me it looked nothing like celery and if it was it was the only piece in my dinner…..however this was only the beginning of a bad evening.

Firstly I was told by the waitress I would get half off the price of the dish, we paid and at the end another waiter asked was everything ok, and we explained the situation, he came back and refunded the whole price of the dish but at no point did the manager/owner approach us to discuss or apologise for the upset (although he was the one who sat us and took our order).

We promptly left and went to a bar a few doors down to have a quiet drink after that experience. After some time, the manager/owner came in to this bar on his own, interrupted our conversation rudely and abruptly and stated that the item I found in my meal was a piece of celery. He promptly turned his back to us then and ordered a pint, which he drank while sitting beside us with his back to us. At this point we were quite upset about the whole issue but we did not say anymore as his manner concerned us.

We arrived back to our room at about 2am and while getting ready for bed, our bedroom door slowly opened and the same man walked in and turned around and walked out again with no explanation as to what he was doing. The doors automatically lock so he had to use a key to get in. We were both extremely upset about the whole evening at this point and I had to put a chair in front of the door for the remainder of the night as I didn’t know if he was going to come in again.

We got up early and left without breakfast the following morning as we just wanted to get out of there. We saw him in a back room when we were paying the €140 cost but he never came out to explain his actions.

Can I just say at this point that myself and my friend are very quiet and polite and to be honest, I'm very shy so it was not easy to make the complaint, it was done in a discreet manner, no fuss, no agression, no attitude. We just wanted to be treated with professionalism and not with further insult to injury. I certainly will not be staying in this accomodation or eat in the restaurant and I think the proprietor's behaviour was appauling, and disturbing to say the least.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends