All reviews beautiful hotel green park high standard fish pie room with a sea view sea front family wedding poached eggs function room sunday lunch lovely view would highly recommend this hotel scones first floor perfect stay no hesitation in recommending this hotel bite to eat
Reviewed 26 March 2013

Stayed for 2 nights B&B last weekend with a voucher. Downstairs in the hotel has been nicely renovated but unfortunately our room was a disappointment. I'm sure there may be plans to update the decor and renovate the rooms but that wont change the fact that our room was freezing cold upon arrival and remained very cold for most of our stay. Although we had an amazing view we couldn't see out the dirty windows and I never saw so many cobwebs in a hotel room in my life! (room 14) A welcome pack containing information on the hotel and surrounding area would have been very much appreciated. Breakfast options were very limited. The only good point was that the staff are very nice. We will not be returning as there are far better hotels for the same price.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank YvonneOffaly_Ireland
BarbaraWRH, Manager at Walter Raleigh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2013

Dear Yvonne,
We were disappointed to hear you didn't fully enjoy your stay with us and would welcome the opportunity to talk to you in person about your experience. I inspected room 14 and could find no evidence of cobwebs or dirt on the windows. I am sorry that your room radiator was not turned up before you arrived as the weather was very cold and this should have been taken care of for you before your arrival.

Unfortunately one of the few drawbacks of being on the sea front is that after a storm the wind leaves a salt residue on the windows and I would suggest that you may have mistaken this for dirt.
You are correct; we are starting the second phase of our bedroom refurbishment program later this month when completed we will have refurbished 50% of our rooms.

I would like to thank you for your comments and suggestions.

Warm Wishes & Kind Regards,

Reviewed 22 March 2013

I stayed at this lovely hotel 8th March for the weekend with my husband and 10 year old son. The staff can't do enough for you. They hotel is full of history and the bar is so relaxing. The food is excellent and good value. We went bowling in a large indoor leisure complex a few minutes drive away,
I strolled up to the beautiful lighthouse only 5 minutes up the road and was amazed at the scenery. The view from the bedroom overlooks the bay. There was a lovey Antique fair on in the hotel on the Sunday which I really enjoyed. The buildings in Youghal are very old and well maintained and have a great history. I will be back in the summer to explore more in the town.

Room Tip: I think all rooms are overlooking the bay so you won't be disappointed
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
BarbaraWRH, Manager at Walter Raleigh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you so much for your kind review. We really appreciate you taking the time to outline the details of your pleasant stay with us.

We hope that we can welcome you back again soon so that you can explore more of what East Cork has to offer.

Thanks again from all the team here,

Warm Wishes & Kind Regards

Reviewed 12 March 2013

We stayed in this hotel for two nights with a special offer voucher. The hotel looks quite run down from the outside but don’t be put off as the inside is lovely. The reception, bar etc have all been recently redecorated in a very tasteful fashion. We were glad to see it had been done in keeping with the old style of the building. The rooms are currently being refurbished. We were in one of the ones which hasn’t been done yet but it was still really nice with a lovely large and very comfortable bed and a great view of the sea. The only problem we had was that the window seal was almost completely gone but I’m sure this will be addressed when the room is being re-done. We ate in the bar on the first night and the food was excellent. All the staff in the hotel were extremely pleasant and helpful. Our only complaint was that breakfast was a bit poor. The options were very limited and the cooked breakfast and porridge were not great. It was a bit of a disappointment compared to the quality of the dinner. Maybe this is something that the hotel could look into. However, I would still recommend it as a good place to stay in Youghal.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
BarbaraWRH, Manager at Walter Raleigh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review.

Your kind comments are appreciated by all here, we hope that we will get the chance to welcome you back again when are refurbishment works are completed.

Warm wishes & Kind Regards,

Reviewed 18 February 2013

Stayed at this hotel at the weekend and have nothing but good comments to say about it.
The staff are beyond excellent and just cant do enough for you. I cant wait to go back when they have finished renovating it as what they have done so far is lovely and modern. The view was briliant when i woke up i thought i was in the middle of the ocean it was beautiful.
Every one in Youghal must walk and the whole way along the strand are exercise machines that you would find in a gym so if you are health conscious and love to walk then this is deffo the place to go. Everything was great no complaints and we will definitely be back for more. About a 40min drive into Cork city which is a shoppers paradise.

Pauline , Michael Butler.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
BarbaraWRH, Manager at Walter Raleigh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2013

Dear Pauline,

From all the team at the Walter Raleigh Hotel we wish to express our thanks and appreciation for your kind review.

It is always so rewarding to be acknowleged for our efforts in making your stay as pleasant as you outlined .

We hope that you do indeed visit us again here in Youghal in the near future,

Best Wishes & Kind Regards,

Reviewed 7 February 2013

Was passing and decided to stop here for a coffee and a scone as i had heard it was under new management and undergoing refurbishment. On entering hotel you a greeted by a lovely bright, clean reception with plenty of space and some lovely seating areas. We sat in the bar which is a bit dark and could do with some more lighting. We ordered our tea/coffee and scones we promptly received our tea & coffee but where had to wait another 20 mintutes for our scones which in my opinion is far to long when it is something that does not have to be cooked and at a price of €11.80 for 2 scones and a tea & coffee which in my opinion is a bit excessive.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cjoco
BarbaraWRH, Manager at Walter Raleigh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to outline your recent experience at the Walter Raleigh Hotel.

We are indeed in the process of renovating the hotel and are delighted our new reception area is to your liking.
I am disappointed that you feel you were waiting too long for scones, they should not have taken so long. Our scones are baked fresh each morning, perhaps they may not have been quite ready at that time of the morning but you should have been infomed of this; please accept my apologies.

Warm Wishes & Kind Regards,