“"A Nice Seaside Setting"”

Quality Hotel & Leisure Center Youghal
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Youghal
Cork, Ireland
“"A Nice Seaside Setting"”
Reviewed 17 November 2012

We rented one of the apartments (713) and it had a sea-view which was lovely waking up on the Saturday morning with the sun coming into the apartment ....in November it was fab. It must be a lovely spot to stay in the summer (if we had one). We stayed just one overnight and arrived on Friday last. The Quality Hotel is a three (3) star hotel (not four stars or five stars) and it lived up to that standard even in November.

I was reluctant at first to rent an apartment at the Quality hotel as I just wanted an interconnecting room in a hotel and not an apartment. I took a chance, and I was surprised that the apartment was of such a good standard even the kids commented on how clean they were. Everything was in the apartment that a family would need for a stay ( but no DVD player) which was promptly brought to my attention by the youngest, but not a problem. We stayed in a two (2) bed-roomed apartment with a double bed and two (2) single beds and that was perfect for us and we had plenty of space.

The staff were friendly and nothing was a bother to them at all. The kids loved the walks on the beach which is located literally only five (5) minutes walk from the apartment. The hotel is an ideal touring base of the east coast, and is not to expensive.

On driving to the hotel I noticed some of the holiday homes on the way were in need of brightening up (painting) but in the same breath it is November, and i am probably been a bit unfair for pointing this out. The Quality Hotel is alongside the sea which would hammer any exterior paint work fairly quickly. You will see staff busy around the grounds so the hotel is been maintained.
Youghal Town is only about ten minutes away (from the center of it). And on the way into Youghal on the left you have Perks Amusements. On Friday evening we brought the kiddies into Perks Amusements were they had a small boat ride etc.

The Quality Hotel has a Restaurant and Bar which I can't comment on to be fair, as I didn't wine or dine in it. However, we did order two (2) pizzas on Friday eve, and I went down to the Bar (the staff rang up to let me know they were ready after a few minutes) to collect them and the place was fine and the staff well turned out and very friendly.

The Quality hotel has many facilities as advertised, on there web page that you can avail of.
I noticed signs for fishing, and it is well suited for it along the sea front. Youghal Town itself has many good pubs, and places to eat as well.

Finally, we were satisfied with our stay and we would return, and recommend the Hotel to friends. The Hotel is suitable for all ages and is located in a nice quite spot alongside the sea front just the right distance from the main Town of Youghal. The village of Ballymacoda, and other villages are not to far away and are well worth a visit.

Room Tip: Look for the sea front apartments of block 7 and on the first on second floor.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Magpie35
AllenMcEnery, General Manager at Quality Hotel & Leisure Center Youghal, responded to this review, 5 February 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review, we appreciate it greatly. We are glad you found the apartment warm & comfortable and that the hotel and its facilities comfortably met your expectations. The hotel has just been painted and once the weather improves the holiday homes are all due a facelift. We hope to see you back in Redbarn in the future. Regards Allen Mc Enery

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Reviewed 10 November 2012

We rented 1 of the 4 bed holiday homes, Very spacious with everything you could need, it had a fully equipped kitchen & 3 bathrooms. We were also able use the leisure centre, it was great swimming indoors & looking out onto the beach. The Hotel is right on the beach so plenty of fresh air. The staff were very helpful on arrival.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for your review and glad you enjoyed your break with us. Hopefully the next time you visit it will be with your bucket & spade and the sun will be shining! Regards Allen Mc Enery
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Stayed in November 2012 - lovely hotel in a wonderful 'on the beach location'. It must be brilliant in the summer. Very pleasant and helpful reception and bar staff. Very good leisure centre - probably very crowded in the summer months. Very comfortable rooms. Even thought they only open at weekends in November, you wouldn't know it. I will certainly visit again.

Room Tip: You can see the sea from 2nd floor rooms which is very pleasant sight first thing in the morning
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
AllenMcEnery, General Manager at Quality Hotel & Leisure Center Youghal, responded to this review, 7 November 2012
Hi thanks for your review, unfortunately just open at the weeknd for the winter months. The recent good weather is certainly a help. Regards Alen Mc Enery
Wexford, Ireland
Reviewed 12 October 2012

Myself, 'er indoors and my 4 y-o and 2 y-o boys stayed in one the Apartments in the Quality in September 2012. It was a very enjoyable experience. Reception staff were very courteous and friendly; bar food and staff again were very good. The apartment was beside the hotel, although they also had holiday homes a couple of minutes walk away. The Apartment was very spacious, bigger than those going on offer in Dublin's southside for + €500,000 during the boom. It was spotless and had all the mod cons required.
The hotel is less than 30 minutes drive from Fota Wildlife Park, the main reason we went there. The beach is right beside the hotel.
All in all, we were pleasantly surprised considering the Apartment only cost €79 on a saturday night.
A word of warning, it really is suitable for families, perhaps not for business or couples.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Hi thanks for taking the time to post a review. We are delighted you found the hotel and apartments well fitted out and comfortable. We hope to see you again in Redbarn. Regards Allen Mc Enery
Reviewed 11 October 2012

Stayed at Quality Hotel for 3 nights in one of the holiday homes. Cannot fault the standard of the 3 bed houses, furniture good standard.
The issue was with the hotel itself. On the Friday night we have food in the bar, which was over priced for the standard it was. The staff were been trained at the time, so communication was not easy. Our drinks were removed form the table before we had finished. At one point there were 4 members of staff behind the bar but we were still left waiting for service.

The bar manager did replace the drink that was taken after we complained, but we had to ask to speak with the manager as the waitress could not understand what we were saying.
While this is not her fault, maybe she should not be left alone if she has difficulty communicating with customers.

On the Sunday morning 3 of us went for breakfast. At 10 euro per person, this is totally over priced, the breakfast was standard as standard comes. One of us asked for veggie breakfast, she was given 1 egg and 4 prices of cold potato.
The orange juice I was given had black stuff floating at bottom of glass. I took this to the manager, who advised he had no idea what it was, but assured me the orange juice machine is cleaned daily. I am not sure why he felt he needed to advise this as I would of expected it to be cleaned daily ..... he advised breakfast was on the house. This was just as well as I would of refused to pay for it anyway. He was very professional regarding the matter, but the fact remains , breakfast was a mess !
I have stayed at other Quality Hotels and found the standard to be higher, while the location is great on the beach, and the offer we received for the hotel cost was great, I think going forward the hotel bar / food , is best left avoided.
Also I would of thought a 3 night stay would of included a change of towels etc but no one called to offer to replace them.
Going forward, not sure if this would be somewhere my friends and I would stay.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
AllenMcEnery, General Manager at Quality Hotel & Leisure Center Youghal, responded to this review, 8 November 2012
Thanks for your review and I am sorry your dining experience with us was not to the standard we would wish it to be, this should not have been the case as we had sufficient staff on. This is not the norm here I assure you and indeed the breakfast offering is normally commented upon favourably. I am glad you found the accommodation to be of a good standard. Hopefully you will give us anther opportunity to show what we are really like. Regards Allen Mc Enery
Kilkenny, Ireland
Reviewed 29 September 2012

We took the kids to disney world florida as it was our honeymoon . so we decided to have a weekend to ourselfs. mum dad booked it while we were away. Beautiful hotel . Bar food a bit hit and miss but staff were great, Room was large and clean . Beach 3 minutes away beautiful and clean. Pub great craic. We could have saved a fortune if we had stayed here instead of florida. Everything there for kids. you just cant beat ireland for a hoilday

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review, all I can say is bring the family..... The apartments and holiday homes are great and well fitted out. Regards Allen Mc Enery
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 28 September 2012

We stayed in the apartments in August with our six year old twins. We decided not to go abroad as we usually do as my husband convinced me that holidaying in Ireland would be more economical - how wrong he was (if fact on the very day we got home I booked our holiday to France for August 2013). The price that this hotel charges for the children's clubs is outrageous. Indeed, it is the only hotel where we have ever had to pay for the kids club. On arrival we were given the kids club prices for the week which started at €10 per child on Monday to €16 per child on Friday for three hours in the day. I pointed out to reception staff on leaving that it was the first time that we have ever had to pay for a kids club in any hotel, either in Ireland or abroad, we were told that this was why the hotel was cheaper than others as they didn't factor in the cost of the kids club - completely untrue by the way as it definitely wasn't the cheapest hotel we could have stayed in (I had done extensive research). Needless to say, my children didn't attend any of the clubs for the duration of our stay. I was equally horrified that the children's disco which was on on Saturday nights was at a cost of €5.00 per child. Complete and utter rip off. However, as our boys really wanted to go we decided to let them. On arrival we found that it was indeed a kids disco, in a tiny room upstairs and not like any other disco I had been to - there didn't seem to be any parents hanging around so we left the children to it - I had assumed that it would be a family night but seemed more along the lines of a kids club with music . On arrival the floor was absolutely covered with crisps (there were a lot of toddler there - choking hazard). I requested that the room be vacuumed however, despite the vacuum cleaner being brought to the room in my presence, my boys informed me that it was not used to clean the mess on the floor. Very disappointing as well as dangerous.

We had booked our staying using supermarket loyalty tokens and it clearly stated on our invoice that breakfast was included. However, on arrival we were told that breakfast was only included if we had stayed in the hotel itself and not the two bed apartments. This was the first we had heard of this. However, as we had seen the breakfast and given that my husband has coeliac disease we decided it would be safer for him not to chance it, given that it was €10 per adult and all he would be able to eat was the eggs and bacon so not worth it. The restaurant and bar were also very expensive especially when you have children.

However, I couldn't really fault the apartment in any major way. On arrival we were put into a ground floor apartment and found that there was a leak coming from the apartment upstairs. Despite being initially told that they didn't have another apartment for us, when I pointed out that the leak was coming down through the light in the ceiling and I wasn't prepared to stay there with my children as I felt that this was dangerous for us all, we were soon put into a different apartment - just had to wait for it to be cleaned. Although it wasn't spotless and I spent ages trying to wash the grease from the tiles around the kitchen! The cleaning staff however were all really nice and very obliging. Would have preferred if there was a vacuum cleaner in the apartment though instead of having to ask the cleaning staff for one when I required it.

The location is also great (although the beach was closed because of the e-coli issues for most of our stay - a fact which oddly the staff did not inform us on check in).

The pool and gym facilities were great - the children thoroughly enjoyed and pool sometimes going twice a day.

All in all, my husband and children enjoyed their stay. I, on the other hand felt very let down by all the extras that needed paying for - had we done them all it would have cost us more than our usual two week trip to France. I would say that the hotel is great for a short stay (indeed we are returning shortly to say in one of the houses), however, for a summer holiday it definitely didn't live up to expectations - there are many hotels where you can bring your children where the kids club don't have to be paid for.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Thanks for your review and for your positive comments in relation to the accommodation and leisure facilities, I am glad that yor family enjoyed their break even though you had reservations. Our main market for the Quality Hotel is the home holiday family and to that end we endeavor to have a good array of activities for children. These include kids camps, €10.00 per person for a camp lasting from 11.00am to 3.00pm, we get great feedback from both parents and the kids who participate in these, for the wide variety of activites we include. Supervised cinema, nightly for €3.50 which includes a mineral & crisps, again we feel this is very well priced. At certain times of the year we put on disco's and again we have a charge here of €5.00 which includes refreshments. We also have a creche that has a nominal hourly charge. In the current climate where hotel room rates are very competitive we are not in a position to include the above activities free of charge, these are not profitable, we put these on as a service but cannot afford to run them at a loss. In relation to other hotels I cannot comment only to say that being a parent myself I have not experienced activities such as we provide being offered complimentary in any hotel I have visited, in fact some hotels charge for kids accommodation which is something we have never done in the nine years we have been open. We are transparent and all our activities are listed on our website with the appropriate cost. Thank you again for your feedback. Regards Allen Mc Enery.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Youghal
The Old Imperial Hotel
Cliff House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Ardmore
Park Hotel & Leisure Centre
Bella Vista Hotel & Self Catering Suites

Been to Quality Hotel & Leisure Center Youghal? Share your experiences!