“great weekend away” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Youghal
Ireland
“great weekend away”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2013

stayed may weekend just gone with my parents & 7yr old daughter, had a 2 bedroom apartment, check in was fast & people on reception Paddy & Lucy was so nice & helpful, apartment was really nice & clean, kids club was fab, my daughter loved it, the kids club staff was so nice, there was 2 girls & a fella who made my daugther feel welcome on her 1st day, breakfast was nice & waiting staff were great. didnt want to check out til late so was able to get a late check out for a fee which was great & my daughter was able to use the kids clube 11 - 3 on last day. would def recomend

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
County Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2013 via mobile

We stayed here with two young kiddies at the end if April 2013 for 4 nights. When arriving at house, first impression is that houses look bit worse for wear on outside - however this is probably because of closeness to coast and coastal weather conditions. Having said that, there was a maintenance man going around houses doing some painting etc. Anyway the house was nicely laid out and clean. There was towels, little soaps / shampoos supplied and dishwasher tablets supplied too. In the kitchen is all the usual appliances with washer / dryer, microwave, double hob oven. DVD upon request - same with highchairs. House had 3 bathrooms & 4 bedrooms (1 was kept locked by hotel as we were a group of 4 only - additional charge per night if another room was required. Location to beach is no more than 5 mins away (probably even less) & the beach is stunning (blue flag ststus).
Didn't use the hotel pool (use of facilities were included) but just had a look in and it looked good with usual kiddie section.
One of the days I asked about ysing the creche room to keep the baby entertained (keep in mind we stsyed at hotel just outside of the busy holiday werkend) and we were allowed use of the creche room - only stayed thete about 15 mins or so because the more I looked around closely, it was obvious the toys needed a serious cleaning and distinfecting! as they were very dirty and grubby - most probably could be put in the bin and looked like germ-central. Outsude play area was ok - smaller than expected and could have been much better developed and kept in better condition.
The house itself was just fine - I mentioned my concern at checkout tast thetes no childlocks on any of the windows in the house and this is a serious safety risk.... so please be aware of this if kiddies wander upstairs by themselves.
Overall happy with the stay - probably would return...no major issues.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank jennydean01
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2013

I will start from beginning:
Nice hotel on the beach, good enough leisure center.
Receptionists were nice and gave us all information we needed.
Room is good maintained, quiet and clean.
Breakfast was good, nothing special, but the restaurant good organised, food was fresh and good choices.

We had really long trip before came, were hungry and went to the bar to get nice lunch... my son got chips and chicken - which was Ok, husband got tuna wrap - which was worse in his life, too dry, too small for 7 euro, no tasty at all, I got Chef's salad - crispy and whole iceberg, and 5 pieces of cold (must be warm) chicken pieces in BQ sauce, cost me 10.50 euro......
I saw another bad reviews about the food in this bar/restaurant, but I was not believe that is that bad. The problem is that nothing around just 6 km in Youghal. So we found in our car some fruits, rewarding I could say.....I hope my review will help the management of Quality Hotel to organised normal food for customers.

Room Tip: room with sea view
Youghal, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2013

We stayed here from 7th to 9th May, a family of two adults, a 9 month old and a 22 month old.
We booked a midweek break which was 3 nights for the price of 2 and one evening meal.

I will start this review with the positives, that is the staff. They are extremely professional, courteous, polite, friendly and helpful. That applies to the reception staff, food servers, bar staff, leisure centre staff. Basically everyone you are likely to meet. It is also a very family friendly hotel, and again all the staff are very kid friendly and understanding of all things family related.
One thing that might put some people off is the amount of kids/family's here. The hotel is mobbed by kids (mostly babies and toddlers from what I saw). For us it wasn't an issue as we were in that category as well, but others might be put off by it.

Now onto the negatives, and there are a lot. We booked a family room, but when we arrived we were put into an apartment. Don't get me wrong, the apartments are lovely, but it doesn't suit parents with small kids in our opinion. There was no problem switching us to a family room when we inquired at reception, but why not do that from the start. When we got to the room, 143, we found that the patio door was open and we couldn't close it. Back to reception and again to be fair to the staff, it was sorted. In the mean time we went for food in the bar. Again the staff were great, but the food wasn't the best. The chicken goujons we got were store bought rather than freshly made, same with the fries. After getting back to the room we made our next discovery. Room 143, a designated family room, is directly above a games room, so we were treated to pool balls hitting the floor, thumping music and general noisiness until 9.30. Not too late, but I would expect a family room to at least have some semblance of quietness implied, especially around bed time. Another problem with room 143 is that it is right bedside an open fire escape, which means it is used as a thoroughfare to bypass reception. Cue lots of kids running up and down the stairs, fire escape doors slamming and of course every time the fire door in the corridor opens, the changing air pressure causes the room door to rattle.

Our next problem was at breakfast, where again the food was poor quality and the choice was very limited. There was cereals, bread, some danish's and a choice of cooked food. It wasn't very appetising, and we both got something else for the rest of the stay. We spent the rest of the day including meals out of the hotel so nothing else was wrong till the following day where as I said we had a meal in the restaurant included in our stays, but when we went to book it, we were told the restaurant was closed and we could have our meal in the bar. I'm sorry but if I wanted pub grub I'd go into youghal, and the menu was no different than the first day. Very very disappointed with this aspect of our stay. Especially as we were in the restaurant that morning for breakfast. Also the norm for these kinds of break is that you would be asked at check in when you wanted to have your dinner. Because that didn't happen we had to settle for poor food in the pub.
Another complaint is that the room wasn't serviced and we had to ask at reception. Also the same sheets/bedclothes were on the bed the entire stay, 3 nights, I would have expected them to be changed at least once.
Moving onto the leisure centre, don't bring any babies/toddlers into the men's changing rooms. There is literally no where to put a baby or toddler safely while you change. There isn't even a changing table. The pool itself was fine, just the lack of facilities in the men's changing room is terrible.

Actually that is the problem with the hotel in general. It should be better than it is, but the execution let's it down.

As my wife said, if they offered us a free return stay, she would turn it down

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Western Ireland, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2013

Stayed for one night in the apts with there was 2 adults and 3 children, plenty of room in the apt. Hotel was lovely, staff very friendly and the weather was nice. Swimming areas was very clean, a childs cot available in dressing rooms which was handy for small babies, the only things was there was a 1 euro charge for towels in the leisure center which was strange so bring your own towels.
The apt could do with being a little more cleaner first impression were grand but a few things i noticed as our stay went on all i know is that if i was there for a week i would be cleaning it first myself. Carpets are a no no for apts for pet friendly hotels and would advise on getting rid of them in the sitting room area especially. The shower in the bathroom did not work at all in apt 101. Have to agree with a previous reviewer we waited over 1 hour for our dinner and with small children it is just not on you want to eat and go. My advice is to cook yourself or go elsewhere if you have small children.
I know there seems to be alot of against in my review but i would stay here again as the staff were very helpful and the children where well catered for and the location was exceptional. All we need is good weather to enjoy the beach....

Room Tip: Look for the sea view apts they look right over the sea and it looks fabulous
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
AllenMcEnery, General Manager at Quality Hotel & Leisure Center Youghal, responded to this review, 17 June 2013
Thank you for your review and I am glad that in the main you enjoyed your break with us recently. We were extremely busy the bank holiday weekend and this caused delays with food and for that I apologise. I hope you will revisit and give us an opportunity to demonstrate how efficient we can be in both the bar & restaurant. Regards Allen Mc Enery
Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2013

Stayed in two bed apartment for one night, was very disappointed with the apartment price for what we got. Ensuite shower didn't work at all and main bathroom shower was a trickle of water.I also understand all hotels increase pricing over bank holidays but to increase the nightly price by 60 euro, ridiculous!! Food was only OK, went for a meal with the family on sat evening and the four kids all under the age of 10 had to wait an hour and fifteen minutes for their main course! Waiting Staff were very apologetic but also informed us that they were well aware of an issue with their kitchen staff!! Overall, as a family hotel I would Probably not stay here again as I felt we got no value for money but one positive is prime location on the beach and lovely views of the sea.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review and I am sorry to hear we did not meet your expectations. You stayed on the bank holiday weekend and the apartments were €139 per night and these sleep four with a living room & kitchen. I am not sure if you reported the shower issue as we have maintenance cover at weekends who could have sorted the problem. I do fully accept your feedback and I apologise for any inconvenience caused and I hope it would not put you off returning on another occasion. Regards Allen Mc Enery
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the hotel apartments,bit dated but lovely views of the sea and they are clean,we ate in the bar food was ok bit pricey,has a good leisure centre and pool,we would stay again,hotel could do with upgrade which is hard in current economy,

• Stayed May 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review and glad you enjoyed your break with us. We have reviewed our prices downward this year to reflect the change in economic climate, but we will continue to monitor feedback and adjust our offering as required. Regards Allen Mc Enery
Also consider these accommodations in or near Youghal
The Old Imperial Hotel
Park Hotel & Leisure Centre
Garryvoe Hotel
Garryvoe Hotel
#1 of 1 in Garryvoe

Been to Quality Hotel & Leisure Center Youghal? Share your experiences!