“Honest Detailed Review” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Quality Hotel & Leisure Center Youghal

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Quality Hotel & Leisure Center Youghal
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Youghal
Kildare, Ireland
“Honest Detailed Review”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

Two families travelled with two kids each 8,10, 13 & 13. NOT FOR COUPLES!

CHECK IN - Ladies were very nice at check in, smooth with no issues. Sara was lovely.
(Please note if you do not have a credit card you are required to pay a security deposit of 250 euro, this is normal practice for hotels)

APARTMENT (203) The biggest apartment I have ever stayed in, two single beds with an en suite, large double bedroom, huge bathroom with shower/tub, living room with 2 x two seater sofas, tv (in all rooms), table four chairs and a fully fitted kitchen (fridge, microwave, four ring cooker, dishwasher and washing machine). Spacious, spacious, spacious. Slider doors, very airy.
Only negative was the cabinets in the kitchen really needed a good scrubbing.

HOTEL ROOM (329) The family we travelled with stayed in this room, lovely view of the beach (See photos) There was a double bed, single bed and a mattress on the floor. Room description says 'Cot Bed'. Their child was uncomfortable in this bed and didn't sleep well. Room was quiet warm. Large closet and table with chairs. Flat screen TV and was modern.

LANNIGANS RESTAURANT - (day 1)Everything was delicious and such a fantastic view of the sea. Aga was an extremely helpful and polite waitress. Adults had three course meal, kids two course that was included in the hotel package we purchased so menu was limited. (only compared to menu available at the Coast Bar) Recommend the Pasta Mediterranean!!
(Buffet breakfast also served here - has all the basics for a breakfast. If sunny avoid window seats as at this hour it's very warm)
Headed to Coast Bar for some drinks afterwards - two male singers were not great :(

THE COAST BAR - (day 2) This is were I felt the hotel fails a bit. We were a party of 8 and it was one mistake after another. Meals came out at different times, wrong desserts given. Very busy with customers and it showed as the place looked like it needed a good cleaning.
Music for the night was better than last night. Food available until 9pm.
Even though it was raining it was lovely to watch out of the wall on windows.
SEE COUPON - free dessert if a starter and main is purchased.

POOL- (Club Vitae) The pool is a good size with a kiddies section, clean changing rooms, jacuzzi and steam room also available. Water was clean and they had none slip tiles around the pool. No lifeguard as it's a private pool. No kids under 14 allowed without an adult.
Didn't use The Spa.
(They have goggles, hats, swimsuits available for sale) Towel rental 50c kids, 1 euro adults.

PIZZA - Yes a section just for the pizza. We tried three of them during our stay and they were the most delicious pizza we've had from a hotel. Only 9.50 each and available until 11pm.

BEACH - Hotel sits right on the beach. Lifeguards there keeping a good watch on the swimmers. Mix of sand, stone areas on the beach. Water is freezing but it is Ireland but appeared to be clean. Little shop just before you enter beach with all the necessities, balls, bucket and spade, drinks, ice-cream etc.
(Try get a spot to the left as cars are allowed to the right and they don't seem to think there's a problem with parking right beside you as you sun bathe!!!)

THE COAST BAR (Day 3) We decided to eat outside this time as the sun was shinning. Plenty of tables available. Don't wait for serve, you have to order inside. I had no problem with that. We were served by the male bar tender who was very efficient. We ate off the menu everything was great and the serve was fantastic compared to previous day. (Noticed a small carvery section with hot food)
If little shop across the road is open cans of soda only 1 euro. Hotel vending machines 1.50 and at the bar little glass bottles were I think 2.50.

GAME ROOM - Although I didn't play in here myself, the kids seemed to enjoy it. You have to walk out the main door to get to the game room. My kids are old enough but I'm sure some would like an interior entrance.

KIDS CLUB - We didn't avail of the day time kids club. My kids choose to watch a movie instead. 3.50 each child (although you receive a coupon on check in for 2 kids only 6 euro)
Two different times, under 12 was 7.30-9 and over 12's 9-10.30 which included a drink and crisps. Some movies were in 3D which was great.
PLEASE NOTE- an adult is required to sign kids in and out.

WIFI - This is only accessible in the lobby and you have to ask at reception who will give you a code for 2 hours. There are two computer stations - we never used it. Couldn't get signal anywhere beyond the lobby. Would have loved it to at least reach the bar.

TOWELS - Asked for fresh towels for our apartment, arrived promptly which was very nice.

FUNBARN - Area for kids to play on several different bouncy castles and zorbes (see photo's) Kids had a great time using the Zorbes, wish I'd have given them a try myself. 3 euro for each child and you get to use them all.
PLEASE NOTE - an adult is required to sign kids in and out.

Overall we all loved the place. The kids all want to go back again as do we. The location is just fantastic and the apartments were so big. It was defiantly worth paying a little extra for it. Just bring some disinfectant wipes with yeah.

Houses available to rent also but are a few minutes walk to the hotel. Over heard a woman raving about them.

Now onto their facebook page to see if there's any competitions going so we can all go back this year. Otherwise we'll see them again next year.

Room Tip: See my photo's to see location of apartment blocks. Block 2 apartment 203 HUGE and quiet eve...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank TheLadyLydia
AllenMcEnery, General Manager at Quality Hotel & Leisure Center Youghal, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Thank you for such a comprehensive review and I am glad you all had a good time. I fully take on board your comments in relation to the bar service on your first experience, we have since adjusted how we serve and take orders and we have waiting staff on the floor looking after tables and taking orders and it is working fine. We are very pleased with your comments in relation to the standard of the accommodation, kids activites and the leisure facilities. Thanks again and we hope to see you back with us again. Regards Allen McEnery

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

Went for a meal out with family. It was just terrible. Staff were lovely but food was affull service was affull.. Never again will I go there again or recommend it to Any one. Waste off good earned money

• Stayed June 2014
      Rooms
1 Thank beamish111
AllenMcEnery, General Manager at Quality Hotel & Leisure Center Youghal, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
I am sorry that you did not have a good food experience, I cannot comment any further as I have no information. I hope you passed on your feedabck to the staff or the manager on duty. Thanks for the review. Regards Allen Mc Enery
Kildare, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

On arrival to the hotel for 2 nights, for a family break, we were told that they had cancelled our booking and the hotel was fully booked (aug bank hol)!!! We were told that they "might" have a room for the first night but may have to transfer us to another hotel for the second night.

Not at all happy with this as we had a young child (4 yrs old) with us and the whole point of booking a hotel for 2 nights was to enjoy the two nights together and not have to move.
Staff were not at all helpful, one even made a comment of "Sure, we won't put ye on the beach!".

The staff member tried to say it was our fault as we had booked it under one surname and the card used to pay deposit was under another surname. They also tried to say that the booking never came through to them as we had not booked on their website. This was a complete lie as the confirmation email of the booking came directly from the hotel.

There was nothing offered by the hotel as a gesture for the inconvenience. Even if they had offered us the kids club for one child free I would have been happy. They didn't even offer a cup of tea to us, very poor customer service.

They advised us that they would check the availability and ring us later on. In fairness to them, I suppose, they rang within a half hour and said that they would transfer us to an apartment for the second night. We were told that we would not have to move bags or anything that they would do all this for us on the Saturday morning so that we could go and enjoy our day! Surprise, surprise we got a phone call Saturday morning advising that the apartment was ready but no offer to help move!

On arrival back to our apartment Saturday evening we were met with a letter from Hotel Management advising that check-out was strictly 11.00am and a charge would be incurred if check-out was after this. To say I was disgusted is an understatement. The least they could have done after their mix up was give us an hour grace checking out.

Our experience did not end there. On checking out they tried to overcharge us because we stayed an extra night! What extra night?!?!?! I would not stay in this hotel again.

I am orginally from Cork and would recommend staying elsewhere and just visit Redbarn beach as yes it is a beautiful location.
Good points - ???? Cinema for kids is only €3.50 and beach is beautiful.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for the review and at the outset let me apologise for the issue's with your reservation. These would appear to have been our side and we have not figured out what exactly happened except to say we did not have your booking. You booked with bookassist.com which is a third party website and for some reason the reservation was not confirmed to us, it was confirmed to you but not by us. Anyway we accept full responsibilty and all we could do at that point was to try to organise the best accommodation we had available. We got an apartment ready early the following morning so you could get in as early as possible, a porter was avaialbe to move bags if this was required. The notice advising of checkout times is standard and was not directed at you, we advise of these times as if people do not checkout on time those arriving cannot checkin on time.On the issue of the overcharge, we did not overcharge you, there was an amount of €10.95 on the bill and this was to do with commission from the bookassist webiste, once it was pointed out your bill was adjusted. We are at fault in relation to the reservation issues and we apologise sincerely. Regards Allen Mc Enery
Kilkenny
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

I'm actually writing this at nearly midnight whilst in an appt on my last night here at Quality, trying to work out how I can make it happen that I can get my family back here again this year. 3 nights just isn't long enough. I've 3 young kids and like has been said red barn is mental with families especially over bank hols but aslong as you bear that in mind and don't expect a quiet adults only place you will be fine. At 3.50 the cinema is a steal! I have to mention Eileen who found room for us at short notice when another nearby facility overbooked us and basically gave us our deposit back and said good luck ( the week before aug bank hol) her calm and professional attitude says lots about her character - Thankyou Eileen.
My wife and I discussed and agreed that it's like we had been away in 'Spain' just without the long traveling n dodgy food etc.
We will definitely be back. A great base and so much to do

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Barry1176
Thank you for such a nice review, and I am delighted you have such good memories already of Redbarn. We do try our best and Eileen is delighted to get such good feedback, she feels it is her job to do all in her power to sort out any issue's that arise so I am glad to hear she could help you. We look forward to having you stay with us again. Regards Allen McEnery
Cork
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

Myself, my husband and 2 kids (4&2) stayed in a 3 bed house for a 2 night break. From my initial booking with Sara, to the final meal served by Eileen in the bar, I could not speak highly enough of the hotel and the staff. We were informed of everything available to make the most of our stay. Check in is at 4 but we arrived at 12. We were offered full use of the leisure centre and Nicola took my phone number and told me she would call me when my house was ready( which was 2pm). The house was spotless and bright and airy. Bedrooms were spacious and there were plenty of towels and spare pillows. Food in the bar was reasonably priced and portions were perfect. The kids menu had a great range. Kids camp was reasonably priced at €10 for 4 hours and the 4 year old had a ball. The movie night at €3.50 including crisps and a drink was a huge treat! We got pizza to take home and it was nice and tasty. Beach was beautiful and so close. Overall a wonderful experience and we will most certainly be back! Full credit due to all the staff.

• Stayed August 2014
      Rooms
1 Thank Fionnuala Y
AllenMcEnery, General Manager at Quality Hotel & Leisure Center Youghal, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review, and such a positive one at that, we really appreciate it. We dont get it right all the time but we do try to get the staffing side of it right so nice to hear you mention so many by name. Thanks again and we look forward to having you back with us. Regards Allen Mc Enery
Cork
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

Just back from an amazing stay in Youghal. The staff we're extremely helpful and friendly. We were greeted by a lovely receptionist Eileen who was v helpful and v friendly she couldn't do enough for us! My 4 year old boy went to the kids club the first day and had great fun. He went at 11 and I went back at 2 to help him change for swimming. All the children were v happy and well looked after. We stayed in a sea view apartment which was spotless and v spacious. Overall we had a fantastic holiday and we are already talking about our next trip already...

Room Tip: Sea view apartments are amazing. View onto the beach is beautiful.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank CorkCiara
Thank you for such a positive review and we are delighted you and your family had a god break, we look forward to seeing you back with us again. Regards Allen Mc Enery
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Just back from a few days in this hotel and have to say really enjoyed it,spotless clean and good value for money, staff can't do enough for you, booked one of the houses and thought there were excellent value for money,the hotel is 6km from road but you can walk the beach and it's a lot shorter but to tell you the truth parked the car when I arrived and didn't go near it till I left on the Monday,went with the wife and 3 girls 2 teenagers and a 7 year old and there was loads to do for them ,we were blessed with the weather so the beach was great ,also kids club for the 7 year was great ,would highly recommend this hotel for a family and will be going back,to break it up a bit we went to the greyhounds on Friday which is free in for July/august and had a great bit of Craic ,the music each night in the hotel ain't the hottest but it's music and it's better than notting ,overall had a great break in a great hotel

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Fengo
AllenMcEnery, General Manager at Quality Hotel & Leisure Center Youghal, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Thank you for the good review and we appreciate you taking the time to post it. Delighted you and the family enjoyed the break and that we ticked all the boxes, look forward to seeing you back with us again. Regards Alen Mc Enery
Also consider these accommodations in or near Youghal
The Old Imperial Hotel
Park Hotel & Leisure Centre
Garryvoe Hotel
Garryvoe Hotel
#1 of 1 in Garryvoe

Been to Quality Hotel & Leisure Center Youghal? Share your experiences!