“Ticked all the boxes”
Review of O'Shea's Hotel

O'Shea's Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Tramore
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Nothing but good things to say about this lovely hotel. The minute you walk in the door you are greeted so warmly and made to feel welcome. We were able to bring our dog with us so lovely walks on the beach with him gave us an appetite for the delicious breakfast. Rooms are so comfortable with everything you need. Bar food is fantastic but the best thing of all about O' Shea's in Tramore are the lovely people working there. It was a pleasure to be around them. Can't wait to go back again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
VeniceLovers, Owner at O'Shea's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Thank you for your warm review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay here. For us our dog is so important so I am delighted you had the chance to share Tramore with yours. Thanks once again and we look forward to your return soon.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

if you would like a taste of Ireland at its best this is the place , I booked in last march with a mate of mine for a break and we thought we had hit the jackpot ,once arriving you can believe it or not there is actually no need to leave the building unless you wish to fall out of the door swerve left and end up on the beach , this is more than a hotel it is a complex , its a cracking hotel ,it has a massive residents bar with live music sometimes , a restraunt with food to die for , bar meals at all times of the day and night , A NIGHTCLUB , and attached is the slip in pub , all are connected and none interfere with the other the place is spotless and you end up feeling like one of the family thanks to likes of Josie , danny , john and john oshea and of course Noreen and the rest of the wonderful staff , highly recommended if your into golf horse racing loads of stuff really or just a blow out this is the base they can even have a taxi pick you up from Waterford airport ten mins away

Room Tip: they have smoking and no smoking non smoking are smarter and if you don't want noise just ask
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
O'SheasHotel, Owner at O'Shea's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Dear Sir,
thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review of our hotel. It was our pleasure to accommodate you,and we are really happy that our hotel "ticked" all the boxes for you. We will look forward to your next visit.
I have passed on your compliments to all our staff.
Once again Thank You.
Noreen

Reviewed 13 September 2013

This is a older style family run hotel near to the seaside at Tramore, just outside Waterford. We arrived late in the day and were pleased that a room was available. The check in was friendly and efficient. There is a free car park and free wi fi as well (although it was a little unreliable in some parts of the hotel). The room was warm and compact, and nicely appointed, with toiletries provided. The bathroom could do with an update, and there was mould in the shower and on the bathroom ceiling. The hot water in the shower takes a long time to actually be hot. Be aware that there is no lift in this hotel, so it’s a bit of a haul with your bag up stairs, although the staff will give you a hand. The rooms are reasonably close together and the hallway is just outside your door, so there is some noise, but not too bad, however when it’s kick out time at the pub, that is a different story, we were woken on several occasions by shouting and yelling. We ate dinner in the bar area, and would highly recommend. My other half and I shared a bruchetta, and then he had roast chicken and I had chicken curry, both were delicious. A special mention for our waitress Josie, who was delightful and made us feel very welcome. Breakfast was also plentiful and tasty, and the two lovely waitress were very attentive and nothing was a bother. The area around the hotel is flat and great for walking, and the promenade just around the corner would be a great place to spend a sunny summer day at the seaside. This hotel has a lot of potential in this beautiful area, however it seems that the owners are running the place the same as it has been run since year dot, if they want repeat business and more acceptable reviews, it's time for an overhaul.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Archer_011
O'SheasHotel, Owner at O'Shea's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and we appreciate you positive comments about our rooms, toiletries, quality of food, attention from our staff, free car parking, free wifi & location.
We do apologise that the bathroom was not up to standard. (It i s now coming to the end of the season and we will now commence of repairs & renewal programme - as we do annually).

We are located in the centre of downtown Tramore and as it says on our web site - "you will experience noise from the pubs & clubs during the summer season.

We are proud of our little hotel and we have continued to build, change & renovate our hotel over the past 45 years.

Reviewed 22 August 2013

My two daughters and I stayed at the hotel for a brief visit in August 2013. We originally booked in for 2 nights and were assigned a triple room in the main hotel, with a view of the beach and ocean. Breakfasts were excellent, staff very helpful and friendly and rooms were a little worn and dated but clean and well looked after. The weather was so wonderful that we decided to stay an additional 3 nights, and were assigned to a large double in the carriage house extension next door. This is a much nicer building and the rooms much newer and fresher than the main house. I cannot fault anything at this hotel and has very high standards for a 3 star hotel. The location is best in town with beach only a few steps from the hotel reception, and numerous pubs and restaurants within metres of the hotel. Tramore's town centre with its fun-fair, shops and cafe's is just a 5 minute walk away. We had a fantastic time and really enjoyed staying at this hotel. And finally, the hotel staff is really excellent and go well above and beyond what is expected of a 3 star hotel. I inadvertantly left my phone charger in the room, and they sent it to me via post to Dublin without any charge (and I offered! ). One criticism that isn't the fault of the hotel is that nearly every adult in Tramore seems to smoke - the halls and rooms of the main hotel smell of cigarettes (the carriage house rooms did not smell as strongly), but no more so than the rest of Tramore (even the footpaths reek strontly of cigarette smoke!).

We are looking forward to going back to the hotel in the future! Thanks!

Room Tip: Go for a room in the carriage house (I think that's what it's called - it's the building...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
O'SheasHotel, Owner at O'Shea's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2013

Good Evening TonyJ,
thank you for taking the time to review our hotel & for your very nice comments. I have passed on your compliments onto our wonderful, very much appreciated staff.
We are so pleased that you decided to extend your holiday with us & of course the good weather was a bonus.
We have got 4 smoking rooms in the Main Hotel & unfortunately no matter how much we try it is very difficult to get rid of the smell of smoke. The Gate lodge is totally non-smoking and our alarms are very sensitive and I would sincerely hope that no one would smoke in that building.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Tramore again next year & please request The Gate Lodge when you are booking.

Reviewed 24 July 2013

just back from spending a week with my family in o sheas hotel tramore our check in was very fast and efficent our rooms were just perfect bright and spotless thanks to the cleaning staff who couldnt be more friendly and helpfull especially bernie o rourke annette whelan and helen power our breakfast was top class thanks to maureen dunphy and ann power after spending our days out on the beach and amusements with the children our dinner menu was brilliant something for everyones taste even the fussy eaters back for more fun with the children which was only a few minutes walk to the beach or other activities we enjoyed a few drinks in the hotel with lively entertainment every night and plenty of crack with bernard dunphy and john murry bar staff i would highly recommend staying at o sheas hotel great value for money thank you all for a most enjoyable holiday will be back again next year from mary and family county offaly

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
O'SheasHotel, Manager at O'Shea's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2013

Dear MaryL, Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, we are so glad that you enjoyed your holiday with us and that our staff treated you so well. ( I am really impressed that you took the time to find out our staff's names & to individually mention each of their names- thank you) I have printed your report & posted it for all the staff to see.

Once agin thank you very much & we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 16 July 2013

O'Shea's, situated a stone's throw away from the town of Tramore's beach and promenade area, is ideally situated for weekenders or tourists. Since I wasn't a resident, I can't vouch for the condition or quality of O'Shea's rooms; but as a visitor to Tramore last Saturday night, I can certainly vouch for O'Shea's dire and inefficient bar service. For those who darkened the door of O'Shea's seeking a refreshing pint or other cold beverage to quench their thirst during the current hot spell, well, let's just say it'd be easier to find a cool drink in the middle of the Sahara. For when it comes to O'Shea's bar service, refreshing liquids would be more speedily and more efficiently delivered at a desert oasis.
Average service time? 20 minutes to half an hour. Average beer quality? Just this side of crudely pulled slop.
I was over-nighting at one of Tramore's hostelries and attending O'Shea's 'Venue' room, which hosted a social event. Shortly after entering the premises, and after the usual introductions and pleasantries had been exchanged between friends and event-goers, I hastened to the bar for pints of amber nectar. I stood there and waited. And waited. And waited. In short, nectar-bearing honey bees could've delivered their cargo from the flower to the hive ten or twenty times before these bar staff had filled one quarter of a pint glass with said amber nectar.
At the bar, the grumblings began in earnest. Some customers had been waiting ten minutes, others twenty. Others still, benefiting from the bar staff's sheer service inefficiency, had arrived and, through mere luck, were served immediately, which added to the consternation of customers who'd been waiting longer. Rather than serve customers in a systematic manner, ensuring that waiting time was minimised, bar staff catered to customers willy-nilly, with no thought or method given to ensure a balanced, even service. Eventually my Heineken and Coors - which I'm sure but can't prove were watered down - arrived and I duly dropped a fiver into the waiting paw of the unsmiling, fresh-faced juvenile, who whisked it away into the hungry till, leaving me with the feeling that it'd be quite another while before my next fiver would find a place amongst its own in there.
This pattern remained for the duration of the evening, which spoilt what was otherwise a brilliant, enjoyable night. Much later in the evening my partner visited the bar for another two pints. 'Don't forget to send us a postcard,' I told her before she left our table. Like myself, she too was stranded in a sea of irate customers. Like myself, she too witnessed many customers served at random, with others forgotten, victims of the chaotic service. But unlike myself, she was served not only beer, but an insult, too. When she remarked to one of the young barmen that the gentleman beside her, who'd arrived at the bar later than herself, was served first, the barman in kind curtly told her to '[--] off.' The incident was relayed to me only on, long after the premises had closed. Had I known earlier about the insult, it goes without saying that I'd have most definitely 'had words' with this charming young man.
Next day, Sunday, my partner and I approached the bar manager at the al fresco seating area. We informed him of the dire service, and the verbal insult. With remarkable aplomb, he replied: 'that fella is my best barman. I'm surprised that he would say something like that.'
'Well, I didn't just make it up for fun,' my partner told him. 'Your barman blatantly told me to [--] off when I complained to him.'
'I'll have a word with him and see what he says,' the bar manager said. And without another word or two of apology or contrition, he left us outside in the sunshine and was swallowed by the dark door of O'Shea's, never to return.
Will WE return to O'Shea's? The event itself was hugely enjoyable, the dance area was sizable and packed to capacity, the buzz in the room was brilliant and, in every other way, the night was a massive success.
But in answering the question,'will we return to O'Shea's?' I find it necessary and appropriate to paraphrase the young Tramore barman.
In short, they can go and feck off.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
9  Thank ByrnerDublin_Ireland
O'SheasHotel, Owner at O'Shea's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2013

Dear Byrner,
Thank you for taking the time to review our bar & to bring to my attention the conduct of one of my staff.
We were "caught on the hop" on the Saturday night of the Scooter Weekend - we didn't realise that such a big crowd would attend the event- therfore our service was not as efficient as it should be. ( We think that the heatwave increased the numbers attending the event.)

However, that is no excuse for any staff member to be rude to you - I can only apologise to you.

I have spoken to out staff re. this incident, and they have told me a different version of the incident at the bar, but as they say " the customer is always right".

Our pints of lager are €4.50 not €5.00

As you choose not to visit our bar again there is no point in offering you a voucher to redeem on your next visit - but if you change your mind - please contact me.

Reviewed 13 July 2013

just back after a two day stay in o sheas hotel the location is brilliant just a minutes walk
to the beach.my wife and i were very satisfied with our double room.the bed was very comfortable and there was tea and coffee making facilities available in the room as well.the breakfast was first class and the serving staff were very friendly as well.the entertainment very good on the two nights that we stayed there and overall the atmosphere was good.the receptionist was very nice and nothing was too much trouble for her.thanks once again jacinta.i would have no hesitation in recommending o sheas hotel and we hope to visit again in the near future.

Room Tip: higher floors are less noisy
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gerryruss
O'SheasHotel, Owner at O'Shea's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2013

Dear Mr. Russell,
Thank you for your very nice review of our hotel. We really appreciate guests who take the time to write a review. I have passed on your compliments to Jacinta & the reception staff.
We look forward to your next visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tramore
Majestic Hotel
#4 of 12 in Waterford
Travelodge Waterford
Travelodge Waterford
#12 of 12 in Waterford

Been to O'Shea's Hotel? Share your experiences!