“Beautiful location near airport but a little disappointed in service”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Bunratty
Reviewed 12 July 2014

This hotel was so easy to get to and surrounded by quaint shopping. But, once we got to room we read a note telling us the ac was out and a fan was left for us. I called to see if we could change rooms and could we get a discount on bill and was told "no". Now I'm Irish and really want to love everything about my experience but this lack of consideration was not appreciated.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Miska32
Deirdre2011, Director of Sales at Bunratty Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear Tripadvisor Member,
Thank you for providing your feedback on your recent stay at the hotel. I’m disheartened to hear that we did not meet your expectations. Our guest’s experience is of utmost importance to us, and we take great pride in delivering a quality product with friendly hospitality. I have passed your comments on to our management team, and we will be looking further into the details. Thank you for your comment.
Tel 061 478 700

Write a ReviewReviews (1,502)

Reviewed 12 July 2014

At first we were shocked at the hotel's idea of a pull-out couch - a one inch "mattress" on springs that stuck in your back when you lay down! But,when I called about this they resolved it quickly by bringing a single bed. After that our stay was was quiet and peaceful. It's a wedding venue, so don't be surprised if you walk into a cocktail party in the lobby and are not invited! The breakfast was very good, and we liked that we could walk to the castle and a nifty shop that carried good prices on those wonderful Irish wool sweaters! Be sure to catch the fantastic Medeival Dinner at the Castle before you leave!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from wedding party.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Tripadvisor Member,
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience of the hotel. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

The staff at the front desk was very friendly. I was traveling alone and had room # 407, which was nice, on the front side of the hotel. Before my arrival the staff placed an oscillating tower fan in my room since it had been very warm and sunny. The bathroom was spacious with counter space. There were a few issues such as the toilet handle was missing its cover, the soap dish was hanging in the shower, not completely attached, and the shower didn't drain very quickly, but it didn't affect my stay.
I ate dinner in their restaurant that evening. The dinner menu had very few choices although what I had was good. I dined on baked fish, house wine, and a delicious apple & pear crumble for dessert.
One thing that would make the stay better is for the hotel to offer hot tea and warm scones near the lobby for guests who just want something simple and quick for their early morning checkout and departure. I had an early flight at the airport, and there is only the complete breakfast buffet at full price, which I did pay for, even though I had very little.
I especially like the convenient location of this hotel. It sits on a hill behind a Blarney Woolen Mills store, a Creamery restaurant, and is just a walk across the street to popular Durty Nellie's pub, and Bunratty Castle and Folk Park. I had a delicious lunch at the tea room at the Folk Park, visited the castle, and enjoyed the walk in the Folk Park that offers a view of Ireland many years ago. It was a great way to spend the day. I even had time to shop in the Blarney Woolen Mills store.
When I checked in at the hotel I had them arrange for a taxi for my next day early morning transport to the Shannon airport. The taxi was there on time, and it worked out great.
I would rate this hotel as Good, but there isn't anything to choose between Average and Very Good.

Room Tip: I liked my room # 407 at the front side of the hotel. It had a nice, sunny window, and the bed was...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Peggy C

Dear Tripadvisor Member,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences surrounding your recent visit to the hotel. We’re absolutely thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us. We’re glad you were able to dine in Fibber McGees Steakhouse for dinner and pleased you found the food delicious. Thank you for your compliments regarding our staff at the front desk. They are so central to our guest’s experiences. I have passed your kind words along to our Reception team.
We do hope to welcome you back again soon. Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Nice old property but needs facelift.
Torn seating,old carpets.
Room was nice and comfortable ,nice bathroom with walk in shower.
Small Bar for this size Property, but two nice Pubs close by.
Breakfast served in a crowded room ,far too small!!Uncomfortable !
Breakfast awful ,overcooked meats and watery eggs.
Needs an upgrade on choices offered . Not even one star!
Not one of the better Hotels and totally overrated !

Stayed: July 2014

Dear Tripadvisor Member,
Thank you for providing your experience on your stay at the hotel. I’m saddened to hear that we did not meet your expectations. I have passed your comments on to our management team, and we will be looking further into the details. Thank you for your comment.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

This is a hidden gem and we loved our stay here, the hotel is across the road from Durty Nellies and Bunratty Castle so handy for the area. It look quite a grand affair from outside, with a long and sweeping avenue flanked large trees with fairy lights twinkling around there trunks. The reception desk was very slow, after a long flight a little urgency wouldnt go amiss - after filling out countless forms (all annoyingly done once over the net) we got our room keys. Its a large hotel and easy to get lost, a bit of new signage might help. Our room was spacious, homely and classic - just what you need to relax in - a feast of harrods green and burgundy. The bar downstairs was a traditional affair, the wine gorgeous, we sat outside on the verandah with the dregs of a wedding, chatting in the warm night air. The spa the next morning was fantastic, the thai girls massage was awesome in lovely (if hidden - we got lost again) surroundings and a very reasonable rate with friendly girls. I liked this place, its cosy charm and large room suited me and my friend and we'll be back to try breakfast, make or break Bunratty get those eggs at the ready.

Room Tip: Go to the spa it is amazing and we usually go to the Drumoland spa, they are really friendly too!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Laineydesanvito

Dear Tripadvisor Member,
Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay at Bunratty Castle Hotel .
I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed our Angsana Spa I will gladly pass on your review to the Spa.
I was delighted to receive the comment “a hidden gem” such a positive description of our hotel . I have passed on your review and comments to all heads of department.
I look forward to welcoming you back to Bunratty Castle Hotel in the not too distant future & hope you will be able to try breakfast with us on your next venture to Bunratty.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

My partner and I stayed here for 2 nights for a relaxing break. We booked into the spa for some treatments and had the most amazing time. The therapists were excellent, absolutely adored the relaxation room & refreshments after. The pool area is also great for chilling out in. Staff in the hotel were lovely in all areas. The hotel itself is in a great location for visiting the castle. Overall had a fantastic time and we will definately be going back again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cazzy21

Dear Tripadvisor Member,
Thank you for posting a review of your stay on tripadvisor.
I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed both our Angsana Spa & leisure Facilities.
I was delighted to receive such positive comments and your 5 out of 5 rating on service which I will gladly pass on to the team here at Bunratty Castle Hotel.
I look forward to welcoming you back to Bunratty Castle Hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

I am reading the reviews and this doesn't sound like the same place I stayed at, but it is. The place is a dump, with a staff that couldn't care less.Last week (middle of summer) got to my room and the ac is broke, so I called the desk and they sent someone to my room with a fan. I said can I just move to another room and was told a lot of the ac's are broke.
The place is very old and run down, do yourself a favor and stay away.Their are so many nice places to stay in Ireland,Why stay here?

Room Tip: Yea, go to some other place
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Jimmy1644

Dear Tripadvisor Member,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your experience at the hotel. I would like to offer my apologies that you were disappointed in your stay. We’re quite surprised with the feedback about the staff as it is fairly atypical we would be highly praised for our staff. I will explore these issues and make adjustments where necessary.
Thank you again for your comments.
Tel 061 478 700

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bunratty
Bunratty Manor Hotel
Limerick Strand Hotel
Limerick Strand Hotel
#3 of 20 in Limerick
Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Limerick

Been to Bunratty Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!