“Guests are Number One”

Ranked #1 of 23 Bunratty B&B and Inns
Palm Beach, Australia
“Guests are Number One”
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

We spent 2 nights at the Courtyard before a weeks cycling adventure with Cycle Holidays Ireland. Rooms were immaculate, breakfast unbelievably delightful, hosts (husband and wife) friendly and obliging.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dennis M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Czech first
Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed 5 July 2014

During my trip in June I had the opportunity to stay in the Bunratty, County Clare area. I was coming down from Donegal and heading on to Wexford and I thought I would break the drive with a stop in Bunratty. I've been to Bunratty before when I was departing from Shannon Airport last year. I liked Bunratty because of its proximity to Shannon Airport. It is about a 10 -15 minute drive. The Bunratty area offers plenty to do in the evening versus staying at a Shannon Airport hotel.

I chose the Courtyard guesthouse at Bunratty for this trip as I had stayed here before. Michael and Mary Walsh, the proprietors, are a great couple. They have been in the hospitality business for quite a ling time. They started this place quite a few years ago. The first thing I noticed is that Bunratty is easily accessible from the N18 - main Galway to Limerick road. Plenty of car parking too.

I received a sincere warm greeting as a returning guest, a greeting which had not changed from my previous stay. Michael very efficiently assigned my room, gave me the key, and escorted me to the room. Very comfortable looking queen size bed. Plenty of space to open my suitcase (and put things away if I wish).

I was only staying for one night but Michael told me he has cycling groups that stay there for multiple nights. Bathroom has a great shower and all was very clean. Plenty of good lighting and two windows for natural light. Most of the rooms are on the ground floor however he told me he has family rooms (3 beds) on the second floor (their first floor).

What I found to be a delight is that I could leave the car parked and walk to several pubs, shops and even the Bunratty Folk Park (that will be future review). Next door was Gallaghers restaurant with a very varied menu. Seafood seemed to be a specialty. A short walk took me past 15th century Bunratty Castle and on to Durty Nellys Pub which I understand is a great watering hole for locals and tourist alike. This pub dates back to 1620 so it must be one of the oldest pubs in Ireland. They had a good pub food menu.

The Courtyard provides breakfast but no other meals. After my visit to Durty Nellys I cross the road (watch the traffic) and peeked in the Blarney Woolen Mills store. Looked like you could buy anything you missed while touring here before you departed home from Shannon.

I settled on the Creamery Pub for a meal and a beer. Very good food!

I returned to the Courtyard guesthouse and Michael asked me if I wanted some tea of coffee. I accepted and we sat down for some great conversation. Great conversation from Irish and American politics to how the tourist season was going. I retired to my room and enjoyed a very restful sleep - extremely quiet - and a very comfortable mattress. Next morning I went into the breakfast room and Michael was there! I think this man never sleeps! A great smile and a warm good morning greeting followed by, tea or coffee? You can enjoy the cold breakfast options AND a 'cooked' breakfast. Other guest were finishing their 'cooked' breakfast and looked quite pleased. I chose the lighter fare of hot porridge and toast.

A very nice send off from Michael and his wife Mary and back on the road - refreshed! The room rate varies by time of the week with the weekend being higher in cost. Not much more than a B&B in cost. Good size room and good size bathroom. Good choice!

Room Tip: The Courtyard has 12 rooms so there are many choices to make. The fact that two of them are family...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
warrenpoint
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night with my partner. Very warm welcome from Michael and Mary. Our room was spotlessly clean with a beautiful bathroom. We were able to walk to Bunratty castle, it was less than 5 minutes away. We dined in The Creamery and it was very nice. Breakfast was excellent. Great selection and nicely homecooked. Would highly recommend a visit. Wish we could have stayed longer.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Sun City Center, Florida
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We stayed at the Courtyards twice while in Ireland. Mike and Mary could not have been more cordial and helpful! Located near the airport so a great place when arriving and leaving. Clean and peaceful. We highly recommend it!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 5 June 2014

The location is perfect--near Bunratty plus some great places to eat (like Durty Nelly's), plus right near a bus stop. The place is clean. friendly, and breakfasts are amazing. It was a great deal. Mary and Michael went above and beyond to make sure we were comfortable. When our original flight out of Shannon Airport didn't work out and we had to stay a 4th night, we were happy to be back there. If we are ever staying near the Shannon Airport again, it will be at the Courtyard.

Room Tip: #12 was very quiet and perfect for my husband, daughter, and myself.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Seattle
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night before we flew out of the Shannon airport. Easy to get to by bus. It is only a few minute walk from bus stop to doorstep. We had to leave early to catch our flight and were unable to have breakfast so they gave us a discounted rate.

• Stayed May 2014
norfolk
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Absolutely awesome place to stay. My daughter and I arrived at midnight and as all the twin rooms had been taken we were given a family room which was huge.The landlord brought us tea and coffee (with fresh milk). Everywhere was clean and well furnished. Beds were comfortable. Breakfast (full Irish) was good. There is also a lovely lounge. landlord was very helpful on where to visit. The courtyard was easy to find from Shannon airport. As it was dark when we arrived we missed it coming into the village-if you get to the castle and pub you need to turn round and its 200yds up the road on your right( same side as the castle). As we were arriving very late I had phoned in advance to let the landlord know.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bunratty
Bunratty Manor Hotel
#2 of 23 in Bunratty
Dunaree
Dunaree
#4 of 23 in Bunratty

Been to The Courtyard? Share your experiences!