Munster Arms
US$139
Oriel House Hotel(Ballincollig)
US$135
TripAdvisor
All reviewswest corkan updatenice hotelbar restaurantfood was lovely
Reviewed 21 June 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one night while we were visiting friends in Bandon. On entering the hotel, we had to battle our way to the reception desk because of a noisy crowd of about twelve people who were cluttering up the lobby. We then had to lug our suitcases up four flights of stairs and then struggled to find our way down an unlit corridor in search of our room. With the aid of a box of matches, we eventually found the room which was quite spacious and spotlessly clean but very basic. There were no extra pillows and there was a telephone beside the bed which wasn’t connected. The bathroom was also quite clean with a good supply of towels and toiletries. Unfortunately some of the toiletries had been used and there was a half a roll of tissue on the toilet roll holder.

There was a good breakfast menu which stated that the cold buffet consisted of cereals, yogurts, fresh fruits and fruit juices. In actual fact, there were no yogurts or fresh fruits and just a selection of three cereals. A young lad came to take our order for the hot breakfast and this was served piping hot a few minutes later. However, he served us just one small pot of tea and only two slices of toast (one each) and then left the area without coming back to see if everything was to our satisfaction. It wasn’t as though he was run off his feet as we were the only two people in the dining room. Later as we made our way to our room, we saw the same young lad sitting back in a chair at the reception desk even though there were no other guests in the lobby.

At €80 per night, I think this hotel is grossly overpriced. The staff, or rather the only one we encountered, whilst he was very friendly and chatty, he was also very unprofessional and could certainly do with some formal training.

With a little more attention to detail, this hotel could easily earn a five star rating but with the current rating, I will not be returning and certainly wouldn’t recommend it to friends.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Erins-Isle22
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Ghastly place. We didn't stay here but ate from the only available menu which is bar food.
Adequate but no more and ABSURDLY EXPENSIVE...ordered drinks and they got the order wrong...drinks arrive and my glass is chipped...manager chatting away at the bar to his friends oblivious of the fact that my partner is waiting for a replacement glass...
HUGE televisions in both dining areas blaring out football. Waitress was worst we had EVER encountered....overly familiar and NOT friendly ( I do know the difference btw...)
When we declined puddings she arrived at our table and announced " now for the bad news,..here is your bill" aghh!
When we arrived back at our friends apartment he commented that local people avoid this place and now I know why. It's GROSS.
Bandon is a pretty town but needs a proper restaurant so that places like this cannot rip tourists off.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Peter L
Reviewed 8 January 2012

I didn't stay in this hotel so I cannot comment about the accomodation. But on New Year's Eve I booked a table for 14 people for a meal. When we arrived there was no table set up. Staff had to go to reception to confirm that I had made a booking and then had to move others having a drink in order to set up the table. The bar (where we were eating) was freezing and we had to ask for the heat to be turned on. There wasn't a sign of a christmas decoration in the place (although we did notice a snowman peeking out from the window ledge when we were leaving). The food was good when it arrived but the atmosphere just wasn't there. Overall, we were disappointed. Its a pity. Its the only actual hotel in Bandon and has great scope. I think the night club is its biggest asset at the moment

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank ElsaCork
Reviewed 29 December 2011

Do not stay here it's a joke. The lady/rude human was the worst I've come across and don't get me wrong ive interailed and slept in lots of cheap hostels never mind hotels and she was the worst. Our room was freezing radiators were turned to off and the air con was off too. Without a doubt the worst hotel
I've been in in ireland. But every cloud has its lining.....location is good and Bandon is a good spot to have a good session

• Stayed: December 2011
4  Thank Jolough
Reviewed 8 December 2011

Never stayed there but been to various functions there. Since renovations, its a nice place who does a function nicely.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo