County Arms Hotel & Leisure Club
  • Free Internet
Ballaghmore Castle(Borris-in-Ossory)
Roundwood House(Mountrath)
View Hotel
All reviewsfamily rooma family run hotellovely hotelbirr castlebar foodbunk bedsfamily breaknext morninglittle thingsfriends weddingwould highly recommend this hotelcouldn't do enoughsaturday nightspa treatmentssteam roomwell worth a visitsecond to none
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 May 2014

A colleague and I were in Birr on business and wanted a quick lunch we called into the County Arms Hotel where we were directed to the bar. They have a very good lunch menu and the staff were very attentive. I had an excellent home made mushroom soup and the chicken wrap which was very attractively presented and tasted great. We met the owner who came to see if we were happy with the service and food quality, it is a family run hotel and has that feel about it, the staff care. Overall I will certainly go there again and would highly recommend it from our experience.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 May 2014

lovely hotel, very clean.
Wi-Fi not working when we arrived on the Saturday or when we were leaving the following day.
Very busy with a wedding when we stayed so bar and lobby was cramped with nowhere to sit.
Breakfast was terrible buffet counter not set up cooked breakfast very poor.
Leisure club was clean.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank pdynan72
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We stayed here recently, for three nights, as part of a wedding - overall experience was great. As has been said before by other guests, the quality of food here is very good, the rooms are clean and modern, slightly dated but not to its detriment. One positive, in comparison to many other irish wedding hotels, is good acoustics between rooms and rooms/public spaces. The pool/sauna/steam room/jacuzzi facility is very good, again a bit dated in appearance but well laid out and great to use. Very friendly staff who were generally helpful, fantastic venue for a wedding party and their guests.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 0011223344
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Service in bar was crap I was in bar most of day not once was a glass or a dish picked up of my table I had to go up and get menu go back up give order and clear my table afterwards. Onion rings batter not cooked on in side duck spring rolls was no duck. Tele in bar does not work music in bar was from staffs phone and kept repeating and when they got a call or text it would go off also sky tv was broke in bar. Vending mechine in bar broken my wife wanted some snacks and bar man charged us 5€ for a small bowl of dry nachos tele in bedroom no remote called reception told we don't have any mattress was crap awake most of the night with it and had a sore back in morning from it small little TVs in lift did not work we where booked in for two night but we checked out after one. Faulty towers !!! My email is duffrobbentoby@yahoo.com if any body wants it

• Stayed: May 2014
11  Thank dufferDublin
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I must say after reading a lot of the reviews on this website I was really looking forward to our visit to this midland Hotel and I can honestly say I was disappointed on many fronts.
We as a family unit, were attending an event, and mainly because of the positive feedback from reviewers had decided to 'break out' and book 2 rooms instead of squeezing into 1 family room (total cost of €260 1nightB&B). Both rooms were cold (the heating only worked with key card in slot, which is okay during your stay but to arrive to a cold room on a wet day is not exaclty welcoming) and dark, barely adequate and certainly not 4 star quality, although modern they were very well used. I will add they were clean. I have already mentioned the food was good and indeed it was but the service at breakfast left a lot ot be desired, the attitude of staff to other hotel residents arriving a few minutes past 10.30am cut off time for breakfast left a lot to be desired. There were a few other 'penny-pinching' issues we encountered during our stay also.
Positives are: The reception area is inviting and laid out for chatting and lounging.
The actual Reception Room our function was in was truly lovely.
The Reception Ladies were extremely helpful, polite and professional.
Perhaps the rooms in the original part of the hotel are more welcoming and better equipped. Our rooms were located in the additional wing.

Room Tip: Our rooms located in the newer part of the hotel, cold and dark and well worn
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family