Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Free Internet
Ballaghmore Castle(Borris-in-Ossory)
Roundwood House(Mountrath)
View Hotel
All reviewslasagnagreat lunchturkey and ham dinnerwarm roomgarlic potatoesfantastic nightfull markstop classnice mealold stylefriday eveningstayed here for one nightbirthday partybar foodcentre of townold worldduck
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed overnight as part of our honeymoon. The bedroom had large cracks in the ceiling and a spider sharing it with us. The bathroom was full of mould, a major health concern. When we mentioned it at reception, not complaining but asking if they were aware, we were told that it had recently been painted and there was no way it was mouldy. We pointed out that the amount of mould would suggest that it hadn't, to which we were told we were wrong. We received no apology for the mould and had to pay the full price. I can't believe that this is a 3* hotel. Comparing it to other 3* on our travels round Ireland it is way off the mark. So disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2013
4  Thank mmc_kmh
DoolysHotel, General Manager at Dooly's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2013

Dear Guest,

I am very disappointed to read your review on Tripadvisor. I have spoken with the Receptionist who administered your departure. She assured me she apologized to you both in relation to mould on the bathroom ceiling when you mentioned it prior to departure, having already settled your account. She also said she told you there had been an issue with the ceiling in that room but was unaware the problem had returned. She also denies contradicting you or saying you were wrong. It is hotel policy to investigate every customer/guest complaint before finding a solution and reporting back to our customer/guest . If this issue had been reported to Reception on arrival, we would certainly have changed your to another room. Furthermore, we would have upgraded you to our Bridal Suite had we been aware you were on honeymoon.

On behalf of Dooly's Hotel, I again want to apologize for the presence of mould in the bathroom and can confirm the matter is now being rectified.

Reviewed 29 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed here as part of the ICPSA Event, Room was warm and stuffy... Lovely Receptionist lent us a fan to cope... Hotel is old and this is one of its selling points.... however I expect a certain standard when it comes to decor and comfort... rooms need to be brought up to date.. ie... decoration, ventilation, certainly would not stay here again...simply because of the claustrophobic feel to the room... on the upside... Staff were fantastic,breakfast was huge and delicious! To be fair we stayed on the hottest day of the year..but was not pleasant to be stuck in a room with a small window... too dark and stuffy... on the parking... it was great... just be aware... if u park in the square... its pay and display...

• Stayed: July 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing Dooly's Hotel on Tripadvisor. It was unfortunate you found the room so warm - this was due to the extremely warm weather experienced at that time. I am glad you found the fan of assistance. As a listed building, unfortunately we are not permitted to alter the window size - we do however have larger rooms which could be allocated to you should you return to stay with us. I am delighted you found our staff to be fantastic and also enjoyed our cuisine.

We hope to welcome you back to Dooly's Hotel soon.

Reviewed 2 July 2013

We had a function recently at Dooly's Hotel 22nd June. It was my parents 50th Wedding Anniversary. The barbeque in the Ballroom was fantastic. The food was cooked to excellent, with chicken kebabs being everyone's favourite. We also had a melody of Desserts which were delicious. We had young children at the party and the Ballroom has an outdoor area which is completely enclosed, excellent for kiddies! The Manager and staff could not do enough for us and we were only a small group of 75. Fantastic.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
DoolysHotel, General Manager at Dooly's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2013

Dear Reviewer,

I am thrilled to read your review and to learn your guests had a most memorable evening to celebrate such a wonderful occasion. We are delighted you enjoyed the BBQ and the lovely desserts. It was a pleasure to work with you on planning the surprise party and we look forward to hatching a plan to celebrate the next big event .....

Reviewed 30 June 2013

There was a teenage disco on at 8pm and then after the nightclub started ... There certainly wasn't an investment put into sound proof walls ...... The walls in the hotel itself are paper thin and there was a party all night in the room next door !!!! The ceilings in the bathroom were all black due too dampness ..... Room was €99 euro for one night certainly way too much in my opinion .... Won't be returning for round 2 .. Sorry folks ...

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am disappointed you did not have a good experience on this occasion. I do note however, you were informed of the Night Club upon reservation and arrival. I do not agree with your assertion the walls are paper thin. On the contrary if fact be known. It is regrettable you experienced noise from the adjacent bedroom and had you telephoned our Night Porter at Hotel Reception to inform us of your complaint, he would have rectified the situation. Your remarks on blackening on the bathroom ceiling is duly noted and has been passed to our maintenance department.

Reviewed 23 June 2013

Not an overnight stay here as my last stay was not the best, however on that occasion we did enjoy a terrific meal in the hotel restaurant and I did comment very favorably on that at the time.

However on a recent return visit to the same restaurant things were no way near as good and while the staff are terrific the food has slipped in quality.

A caesar salad starter came dressed with some sort of brown jus and not as standard a caesar dressing, that was a first for me as a fan of caesar salads.

The main couse of sirloin steak was disappointing due to lots of gristle and maybe half of the steak was not enjoyable and remained uneaten, on the plus side a simple order of ice cream for dessert was just the ticket and the ice cream really was top quality.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
DoolysHotel, General Manager at Dooly's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2013

Dear Reviewer,

I note this is your second posted review of Dooly's Hotel in the past eight months. I am disappointed you did not have a good meal experience on this occasion.
In reply to your critique, the substance you refer to as a "brown jus" on the Caesar Salad is in fact "Chef's Homemade Caesar Dressing" as described on our Bar Food Menu. I do apologize there was grizzle present on your Sirloin Steak and we certainly would have offered you an alternative meal had this been brought to the attention of a staff member. On a positive note, I am delighted you enjoyed dessert and again found our staff to "terrific". I trust you will give us an opportunity to prove to you this was indeed a once off.