“Good value”
Review of Dooly's Hotel

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Birr
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Had lunch recently in this hotel.
The meals were served to your table by very friendly and efficient waitresses.
The menu offered a good number of choices with something to suit most tastes. The service was excellent, really no waiting.
The standard of food was very good, the portions were generous and it was served piping hot.
Overall, it was very good value and it was a good place for us to stop en-route to Mullingar.
Would certainly visit again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
DoolysHotel, General Manager at Dooly's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2014

Dear liam_mccaffrey,

Thank you for reviewing Dooly's Hotel on this site.

I am delighted you enjoyed your lunch experience at Dooly's Hotel recently. It is very encouraging to read you found our staff to be friendly & service efficient, the food of good quality, generous in portion size and pipping hot. We strive for improvements on a continuous basis and it is great to read you considered your meal to offer very good value. I have passed on your comments to the Kitchen & Service Teams and your comments are much appreciated.

I hope to see you in Dooly's Hotel again soon.

Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights, arrived very late first night and the night porter was great. Lovely breakfast and very friendly staff. Room fine although my heating seemed to go off the second night tho was back on the next morning?! Didn't bother me as I like to sleep in a cool room anyway. Ate in the bar one night and food good for price. The hotel is in a nice old building, yes it's not the height of luxury but at €45 a night you don't expect it! If I had cause to be in Birr again I would go back.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank SnicholsUk
DoolysHotel, General Manager at Dooly's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Dear Snicholsuk,

Thank you for taking time to review Dooly's Hotel on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay at our Hotel. It is gratifying you found our Food to be excellent quality and value for money. We greatly appreciate guest feedback, as we constantly strive to improve the quality of service afforded to our guests at Dooly's Hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Dooly's Hotel on your next visit soon.

General Manager,
Dooly's Hotel,

Reviewed 2 February 2014

We had my sisters hen on February 1st 2014 in Dooleys Hotel Birr. We had an absolutely brilliant time staff were so nice, afternoon tea was delicious, and the meal in Emmet restaurant was fabulous all 27 of us hens loved it. The package was brilliant value we would recommend dooley's 100%

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
DoolysHotel, General Manager at Dooly's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Dear Andrea C,

Thank you for taking time to review Dooly's Hotel on this site.

I am delighted you enjoyed the Hen Party last weekend. I must say your Downton Abbey theme was a big hit and perfect for your Afternoon Tea Party and Dance Class. It is great to read you enjoyed a wonderful meal in the Emmet Restaurant, cocktails & live music in Dooly's Bar and had great fun in Melbas NIght Club. I am delighted you found our Hen Package offered excellent value.

Best of luck with the upcoming Wedding and I hope to welcome you back to Dooly's Hotel again soon.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

Doolys hotel
well its in my home town so i eventually decided to stay there
its in a prime position with free parking ,yes they do charge for parking in Birr
Very good rate 75 euro for a double its even better than some local b n bs
However we ate in the bar and shelves behind us had not been dusted in ?? days
Hotel is a bit tired even the staff come across that way
This is a gem in my home town
Come on owners upgrade it before its too late
you could charge double for the room

Room Tip: we got one overlooking the main road noisy so avoid
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joe C

Dear Nut i me 08,

I am very dissappointed to read your recent review. I accept there may have been dust on a shelf in the Bar - our staff have this at hand. While you do mention some positive aspects like our town central location, free customer car park and a very competitive accommodation rate, I find your review very negative. Having dined in our Coachouse Bar - you failed to comment on your meal expenience or your overnight stay, breakfast the following morning or your arrival/departure - certainly integral measures of any guest experience.

You also state the Hotel is tired. As a Birr local, I shouldn't have to remind you Dooly's Hotel is the oldest Coaching Inn in the Country dating back to 1747. The Hotel is family operated and has enjoyed substantial re-investment over the past 18 months. The Hotel Lobby & Coffee Shop have been redecorated, the Hotel exterior has been painted, the bedrooms & accommodation corridors repainted and the Coachouse Bar is in the process of redecoration. Furthermore, a new smoking area has been added.
I would appreciate if you would contact me directly at the Hotel (057 9120032) to discuss your misgivings during your stay.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

I have stayed at Dooly's Hotel several times over the past 9 years and always look forward to returning here. The location of the hotel is perfect as it is right in the centre of town. The rooms I have stayed in have always been clean, warm and cosy and the beds are very comfortable. The food in the bar is always excellent and so is the breakfast in the dining room. What always stands out for me when I come here though is the pleasant staff. Everybody is kind and helpful and this is why I will continue to stay here when I visit Birr.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank trish990
DoolysHotel, General Manager at Dooly's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

Dear Trish,

Thank you for reviewing Dooly's Hotel on Tripadvisor. I am delighted you continue to enjoy staying with us when in Birr. Apart from our town centre location, we always strive to achieve continuous improvements in our Food & Accommodation departments within the Hotel. It is wonderful to read you found our staff to display kindness & friendliness to you on every occasion and we look forward to welcoming you back to Birr again soon.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

Having had our wedding reception at Dooly's last year we decided we would return for the same night again one year later. Again we were greeted with a very warm welcome by Stephen and his staff at Dooly's hotel. Upon arrival to our bedroom (The Bridal Suite) we were met with a bottle of champagne and fresh strawberries. The room was spotless and nice and warm. Breakfast the next morning was piping hot and fresh and we left with full tummies. We would not hesitate in reccommending Dooly's to anyone and indeed we look forward to our next wedding anniversary and heading back to Stephen and his staff.

Sandra & Paudie O Rourke
Ballyheigue
Co. Kerry

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sandra O
DoolysHotel, General Manager at Dooly's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2013

Dear Sandra & Paudie,

Thank you so much for your kind comments. I am delighted you enjoyed the occasion of your First Anniversary at Dooly's Hotel recently. I have passed on your compliments to all the team and I do hope to see you both next September to mark year two.

Kindest regards,

Stephen

Co Offaly

Reviewed 1 October 2013

Had a Family Gathering/Reunion at Doolys Hotel in Birr with over 90 people. I cannot say enough about the brilliant staff and help I received in organising a big event there. It was very reasonable in terms of cost and Doolys staff and General Manager could not have been nicer and more accommodating to us. From the very beginning of helping us plan with great ideas and suggestions including dvds for children and a photo slide show. The location is great not only the centre of Ireland but also the center of Birr so very easy to find. The room for our Gathering was perfect. Clean, bright with its own bar and a huge dance floor which the staff set up the night before which meant I had very little stress on the day of the reunion. Food was a buffet lunch beef strogonoff and chicken korma both delicious!! and a selection of delicious salads and deserts. Highly recommend Doolys for a function of any kind!

Room Tip: Family rooms are large and spacious
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
DoolysHotel, General Manager at Dooly's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Dear Gecdoor,

Thank you for taking the time to review Dooly's Hotel on Tripadvisor. I am really thrilled you enjoyed The Family Gathering in our Cumberland Suite recently. It was great to catch up with relatives & friends and mark the occasion with many a tale !! I have passed on your thanks to the team and I hope to welcome you all to Dooly's Hotel again soon.

Birr

Also consider these accommodations in or near Birr
County Arms Hotel & Leisure Club
Racket Hall Country House Hotel
Tullamore Court Hotel
Tullamore Court Hotel
#2 of 3 in Tullamore

Been to Dooly's Hotel? Share your experiences!