“Dooly's Hotel Restaurant A Great Dining Experience”
Review of Dooly's Hotel

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Birr
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I've had lunch here many times and eaten at the bar but this was the first time eating in the main restaurant.
What a pleasant surprise. The food selection was varied but not overwhelming. The portions were just perfect and cooked exactly as expected and were good value for money compared to what you'd get in a similar restaurant in Canada. Best breaded calamari I've ever had as a starter. Steak cooked to perfection although I must say that since I ordered the surf 'n' turf it was a bit disappointing that the 'surf' part consisted of four small prawns placed atop the steak. They can do better in that regard but it's a minor quibble compared to the overall experience.
The server, Kevin, was attentive, knowledgeable and professional.
The dining room is beautifully appointed with a nice view of Emmet Square.
Definitely recommended.

Room Tip: None because the review is of the hotel restaurant.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
DoolysHotel, General Manager at Dooly's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Dear Giant1960,

Following your recent spin to the Emmet Restaurant at Dooly's Hotel, is is refreshing to read you were pleasntly surprised with your meal experience. I am delighted you found the menu to offer variety, the food selection cooked to expectation and the portion size just perfect. It is most encouraging you found our menu offered excellent value for money. I have passed on your conpliments to our Restaurant Supervisor Kevin and I hope you enjoyed the lovely view of Emmet Square from the Restaurant.

I hope to welcome you back to Dooly's Hotel again in the near future.

Co Offaly

Reviewed 24 March 2014

Had lunch recently in this hotel.
The meals were served to your table by very friendly and efficient waitresses.
The menu offered a good number of choices with something to suit most tastes. The service was excellent, really no waiting.
The standard of food was very good, the portions were generous and it was served piping hot.
Overall, it was very good value and it was a good place for us to stop en-route to Mullingar.
Would certainly visit again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
DoolysHotel, General Manager at Dooly's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2014

Dear liam_mccaffrey,

Thank you for reviewing Dooly's Hotel on this site.

I am delighted you enjoyed your lunch experience at Dooly's Hotel recently. It is very encouraging to read you found our staff to be friendly & service efficient, the food of good quality, generous in portion size and pipping hot. We strive for improvements on a continuous basis and it is great to read you considered your meal to offer very good value. I have passed on your comments to the Kitchen & Service Teams and your comments are much appreciated.

I hope to see you in Dooly's Hotel again soon.

Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights, arrived very late first night and the night porter was great. Lovely breakfast and very friendly staff. Room fine although my heating seemed to go off the second night tho was back on the next morning?! Didn't bother me as I like to sleep in a cool room anyway. Ate in the bar one night and food good for price. The hotel is in a nice old building, yes it's not the height of luxury but at €45 a night you don't expect it! If I had cause to be in Birr again I would go back.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank SnicholsUk
DoolysHotel, General Manager at Dooly's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Dear Snicholsuk,

Thank you for taking time to review Dooly's Hotel on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay at our Hotel. It is gratifying you found our Food to be excellent quality and value for money. We greatly appreciate guest feedback, as we constantly strive to improve the quality of service afforded to our guests at Dooly's Hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Dooly's Hotel on your next visit soon.

General Manager,
Dooly's Hotel,

Reviewed 2 February 2014

We had my sisters hen on February 1st 2014 in Dooleys Hotel Birr. We had an absolutely brilliant time staff were so nice, afternoon tea was delicious, and the meal in Emmet restaurant was fabulous all 27 of us hens loved it. The package was brilliant value we would recommend dooley's 100%

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
DoolysHotel, General Manager at Dooly's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Dear Andrea C,

Thank you for taking time to review Dooly's Hotel on this site.

I am delighted you enjoyed the Hen Party last weekend. I must say your Downton Abbey theme was a big hit and perfect for your Afternoon Tea Party and Dance Class. It is great to read you enjoyed a wonderful meal in the Emmet Restaurant, cocktails & live music in Dooly's Bar and had great fun in Melbas NIght Club. I am delighted you found our Hen Package offered excellent value.

Best of luck with the upcoming Wedding and I hope to welcome you back to Dooly's Hotel again soon.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

Doolys hotel
well its in my home town so i eventually decided to stay there
its in a prime position with free parking ,yes they do charge for parking in Birr
Very good rate 75 euro for a double its even better than some local b n bs
However we ate in the bar and shelves behind us had not been dusted in ?? days
Hotel is a bit tired even the staff come across that way
This is a gem in my home town
Come on owners upgrade it before its too late
you could charge double for the room

Room Tip: we got one overlooking the main road noisy so avoid
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joe C

Dear Nut i me 08,

I am very dissappointed to read your recent review. I accept there may have been dust on a shelf in the Bar - our staff have this at hand. While you do mention some positive aspects like our town central location, free customer car park and a very competitive accommodation rate, I find your review very negative. Having dined in our Coachouse Bar - you failed to comment on your meal expenience or your overnight stay, breakfast the following morning or your arrival/departure - certainly integral measures of any guest experience.

You also state the Hotel is tired. As a Birr local, I shouldn't have to remind you Dooly's Hotel is the oldest Coaching Inn in the Country dating back to 1747. The Hotel is family operated and has enjoyed substantial re-investment over the past 18 months. The Hotel Lobby & Coffee Shop have been redecorated, the Hotel exterior has been painted, the bedrooms & accommodation corridors repainted and the Coachouse Bar is in the process of redecoration. Furthermore, a new smoking area has been added.
I would appreciate if you would contact me directly at the Hotel (057 9120032) to discuss your misgivings during your stay.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

I have stayed at Dooly's Hotel several times over the past 9 years and always look forward to returning here. The location of the hotel is perfect as it is right in the centre of town. The rooms I have stayed in have always been clean, warm and cosy and the beds are very comfortable. The food in the bar is always excellent and so is the breakfast in the dining room. What always stands out for me when I come here though is the pleasant staff. Everybody is kind and helpful and this is why I will continue to stay here when I visit Birr.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank trish990
DoolysHotel, General Manager at Dooly's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

Dear Trish,

Thank you for reviewing Dooly's Hotel on Tripadvisor. I am delighted you continue to enjoy staying with us when in Birr. Apart from our town centre location, we always strive to achieve continuous improvements in our Food & Accommodation departments within the Hotel. It is wonderful to read you found our staff to display kindness & friendliness to you on every occasion and we look forward to welcoming you back to Birr again soon.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

Having had our wedding reception at Dooly's last year we decided we would return for the same night again one year later. Again we were greeted with a very warm welcome by Stephen and his staff at Dooly's hotel. Upon arrival to our bedroom (The Bridal Suite) we were met with a bottle of champagne and fresh strawberries. The room was spotless and nice and warm. Breakfast the next morning was piping hot and fresh and we left with full tummies. We would not hesitate in reccommending Dooly's to anyone and indeed we look forward to our next wedding anniversary and heading back to Stephen and his staff.

Sandra & Paudie O Rourke
Ballyheigue
Co. Kerry

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sandra O
DoolysHotel, General Manager at Dooly's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2013

Dear Sandra & Paudie,

Thank you so much for your kind comments. I am delighted you enjoyed the occasion of your First Anniversary at Dooly's Hotel recently. I have passed on your compliments to all the team and I do hope to see you both next September to mark year two.

Kindest regards,

Stephen

Co Offaly

Also consider these accommodations in or near Birr
County Arms Hotel & Leisure Club
Sheraton Athlone
#3 of 9 in Athlone
11 mi away
Racket Hall Country House Hotel

Been to Dooly's Hotel? Share your experiences!