“Doolys Hotel”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Birr
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Doolys Hotel”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Genuine old fashioned coaching inn. However with this history comes an old building with a sense of damp, stains on ceilings, slightly whiffy aroma and dreadful "beer garden". All in all upstairs is a bit grim and old fashioned. On the plus side the cooked breakfast is superb, the bar is cosy and the staff excellent.
Also there seemed to be a furniture moving contest at 3.30 in the morning that went on for over 20 minutes.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ElderScroat
DoolysHotel, General Manager at Dooly's Hotel, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Dear Elder Scroat,

Thank you for staying with us and for reviewing our property. I am delighted you found our staff excellent, the Bar cozy and our cuisine superb.

It is most regrettable to read that your stay was negatively affected due to noise at night from a corference set up and conditions of our property. It was unfortunate you choose to move rooms, as the original room allocated to you was located away from the Cumberland Suite. Please accept my sincerest apologies for both the disturbance and for falling short of your expectations.

I do appreciate your feedback both positive & negative as this is our best resource for improving facilities and services afforded to our guests at Dooly's Hotel

I hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again.

Kind Regards

Co Offaly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with a few lads on a weekend away. The rooms are dated but we found them clean. Breakfast was good and freshly cooked.
Great location in the town, good night club and hotel bar with plenty of bars in walking distance.
Found staff friendly. Note of warning to guests. The hotel car park has the narrowest entrance through a little arch. Bit of a joke.....Leave the limo at home.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank John H
DoolysHotel, General Manager at Dooly's Hotel, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Dear John H,

Thank you for taking time to review Dooly's Hotel on Tripadvisor. I am glad you enjoyed your recent stay - you found the rooms to be clean, breakfast freshly cooked and of good quality. As a group of lads on a weekend away, it's great you enjoyed the entertainment provided by the Hotel with live music at Dooly's Bar & the latest tunes at Melbas Nightclub over the weekend. I do appreciate your comments on access to the Complimentary Hotel Car Park, while the entrance is tight, there is more than ample space to access the complimentary car park.

It is great you found our staff friendly & I have passed on your comments to the team. I hope to welcome you back to Dooly's Hotel again soon.

Co. Offaly
Tower, Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on Saturday as we had a family party in the town. I think I should have stayed in my car.
When we arrived in our room number 32 you could see where wall paper had been patch up as the colours didn't match there was black mould on the walls in area also.
The biggest surprise was left for us in the bathroom as the toilet had been used and left as a gift for us.
The nightclub was ok abit of going back in time.
Breakfast wasn't great very bad selection at the cereal and juice table. Cooked breakfast was cooked but left most as it just didn't have a taste of yum.

Was told by others that stay at b&b around the town they really enjoy them better.

This is one place I would not be rushing back to it really need to be updated in the rooms

• Stayed May 2014
4 Thank Michelle B
DoolysHotel, General Manager at Dooly's Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear Michelle B,

It is with dismay I read your damning review following your recent stay at Dooly's Hotel. I do accept your comment of a small damp patch in the joint of the bedroom wall - the joys of a 250 year old heritage building & the adverse winter just past. This issue is at hand and I do apoloise for this inconvenience.

With regard to your comment on poor bathroom housekeeping, I have discussed your complaint with our Accommodation Supervisor and am assured this was a one off instance. This is unacceptable and again I unreservedly apologise for this shortcoming. I also note your comments on Breakfast - our "bad selection of cereals" comprised of Kellogs mini cereals in 8 varieties plus Porridge cooked to order. Full Irish Breakfast or your Omelette of choice is also cooked to order unlike many establishments.

While I do accept the individual issues may have impacted on your guest experience, I must stress at this point, however, had you reported any of these issues to Hotel Management, only then has the Hotel an opportunity to recitify your complaint. Furthermore, you were given an opportunity to again voice a complaint on departure, when our Head Receptionist asked you how was your stay. You again decided not to do so. I find it puzzling that in the first instance you chose not to report either of the alleged issues yet are compelled to write such a severe review on this forum.

Ireland
Reviewed 14 April 2014

A party of 3, we stayed here while attending a wedding in Birr. It was a really pleasant experience. Particularly of note was the helpfulness of all the staff, from the bar to the restaurant to housekeeping. The full breakfast was very good, especially the sausages. The hotel also had gluten-free breads. The hotel has a lot of character and many areas have obviously been newly refurbished. Would stay again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sightseeing2008
Dear Sightseeing2008,

Thank you for your kind comments following your recent two day stay at Dooly's Hotel. It is great to read you found our staff to be most helpful in all departments. I am delighted you enjoyed our cuisine and availed of the gluten free breads on offer. We are currently in the middle of a ongoing improvement plan and it is most gratifying you acknowledge the recent refurbishments within the Hotel.

I hope to see you back in Dooly's hotel again soon.

Kincardine, Canada
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I've had lunch here many times and eaten at the bar but this was the first time eating in the main restaurant.
What a pleasant surprise. The food selection was varied but not overwhelming. The portions were just perfect and cooked exactly as expected and were good value for money compared to what you'd get in a similar restaurant in Canada. Best breaded calamari I've ever had as a starter. Steak cooked to perfection although I must say that since I ordered the surf 'n' turf it was a bit disappointing that the 'surf' part consisted of four small prawns placed atop the steak. They can do better in that regard but it's a minor quibble compared to the overall experience.
The server, Kevin, was attentive, knowledgeable and professional.
The dining room is beautifully appointed with a nice view of Emmet Square.
Definitely recommended.

Room Tip: None because the review is of the hotel restaurant.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Giant1960,

Following your recent spin to the Emmet Restaurant at Dooly's Hotel, is is refreshing to read you were pleasntly surprised with your meal experience. I am delighted you found the menu to offer variety, the food selection cooked to expectation and the portion size just perfect. It is most encouraging you found our menu offered excellent value for money. I have passed on your conpliments to our Restaurant Supervisor Kevin and I hope you enjoyed the lovely view of Emmet Square from the Restaurant.

I hope to welcome you back to Dooly's Hotel again in the near future.

Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Had lunch recently in this hotel.
The meals were served to your table by very friendly and efficient waitresses.
The menu offered a good number of choices with something to suit most tastes. The service was excellent, really no waiting.
The standard of food was very good, the portions were generous and it was served piping hot.
Overall, it was very good value and it was a good place for us to stop en-route to Mullingar.
Would certainly visit again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
DoolysHotel, General Manager at Dooly's Hotel, responded to this review, 29 March 2014
Dear liam_mccaffrey,

Thank you for reviewing Dooly's Hotel on this site.

I am delighted you enjoyed your lunch experience at Dooly's Hotel recently. It is very encouraging to read you found our staff to be friendly & service efficient, the food of good quality, generous in portion size and pipping hot. We strive for improvements on a continuous basis and it is great to read you considered your meal to offer very good value. I have passed on your comments to the Kitchen & Service Teams and your comments are much appreciated.

I hope to see you in Dooly's Hotel again soon.

UK
Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights, arrived very late first night and the night porter was great. Lovely breakfast and very friendly staff. Room fine although my heating seemed to go off the second night tho was back on the next morning?! Didn't bother me as I like to sleep in a cool room anyway. Ate in the bar one night and food good for price. The hotel is in a nice old building, yes it's not the height of luxury but at €45 a night you don't expect it! If I had cause to be in Birr again I would go back.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank SnicholsUk
DoolysHotel, General Manager at Dooly's Hotel, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Dear Snicholsuk,

Thank you for taking time to review Dooly's Hotel on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay at our Hotel. It is gratifying you found our Food to be excellent quality and value for money. We greatly appreciate guest feedback, as we constantly strive to improve the quality of service afforded to our guests at Dooly's Hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Dooly's Hotel on your next visit soon.

General Manager,
Dooly's Hotel,
Birr
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birr
County Arms Hotel & Leisure Club
#1 of 1 in Kinnitty
Central Hotel Tullamore
Central Hotel Tullamore
#3 of 3 in Tullamore

Been to Dooly's Hotel? Share your experiences!