“Very Satisfied Customers.”
Review of Dooly's Hotel

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Birr
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Last Sunday I had a group of 55 people at the Tullamore show which was excellent despite the drop of Tullamore Dew that we experienced. The variety of stalls were top class and it is true there is something there for everyone. The standard of judging for the livestock was well organised. We enjoyed watching the sheep shearing, their coats were removed with such speed and perfection. After the Show we headed for Dooley's Hotel Birr were Kevin Dalton was waiting to give us a very warm welcome. Everyone was well pleased with the service and to tell you that every plate that was collected after dinner was cleaned speaks for itself. The choice of menu and the standard of food was absolutely delicious. This hotel is one of the best in Ireland for food satisfaction and I would strongly recommend any group or family call to sample the food.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank smiler073
DoolysHotel, General Manager at Dooly's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Dear Smiler 073,

Thank you for reviewing Dooly's Hotel on Tripadvisor.

As a returning guest, it is very gratifying to read you were made most welcome on arrival by Restaurant Supervisor Kevin. After a long and damp day at the Tullamore Show, I am delighted your party guests enjoyed the cuisine and the great service afforded by Kevin and his team. It is great you enjoyed the menu variety and thought the food was absolutely delicious. I have passed on your comments to the Restaurant & Kitchen Teams.

Thank you again for your kind comments and we hope to welcome you back to Dooly's Hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

We stayed here for one night only as every hotel was fully booked.Yes the decor is abit dated but it is in keeping with the age of building and being a coaching inn nice change to a modern hotel.The bedroom was clean and tidy and had every thing you required plenty of hot water.Only complaint the mattress on bed was quite hard a new mattress would make a big difference. Breakfast and service was very good and as much as you could eat.Staff very attentive and friendly.

Room Tip: On a saturday night choose room away from night club right beside hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pauline5992014

Dear Pauline 5992014,

Thank you for your recent review on this forum.

it is great to read you found your bedroom clean & tidy and availed of the plentiful supply of hot water. I'm glad you enjoyed your freshly cooked breakfast and sampled the various offerings from the buffet. It is regretable you found your bed mattress hard and I have passed your comment to Housekeeping to investigate as such. I am delighted you found our staff to be freindly and attentive and overall, you had an enjoyable stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Dooly's Hotel again soon.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

I recently organised a hen party in doolys hotel and I couldn't recommend them highly enough. Stephen was the organiser I was in contact with and he was very helpful and lovely to deal with. The meal was delicious with excellent choices. The staff were all so friendly and attentive, from the bar staff to the waiters to the receptionists. A great night :-)

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank GeraldineOBrien
DoolysHotel, General Manager at Dooly's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Dear Geraldine,

Thank you so much for your kind review on this forum. I am delighted your colleagues enjoyed an eventful night on the Hen Party recently. I have passed on your comments to the team and it is very satisfying & rewarding to receieve such recognition for our friendliness, service, attentiveness and hight quality cuisine.

Best wishes for the future and I hope to welcome you back to Dooly's Hotel again very soon.

General Manager,
Dooly's Hotel,
Birr.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Genuine old fashioned coaching inn. However with this history comes an old building with a sense of damp, stains on ceilings, slightly whiffy aroma and dreadful "beer garden". All in all upstairs is a bit grim and old fashioned. On the plus side the cooked breakfast is superb, the bar is cosy and the staff excellent.
Also there seemed to be a furniture moving contest at 3.30 in the morning that went on for over 20 minutes.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ElderScroat
DoolysHotel, General Manager at Dooly's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2014

Dear Elder Scroat,

Thank you for staying with us and for reviewing our property. I am delighted you found our staff excellent, the Bar cozy and our cuisine superb.

It is most regrettable to read that your stay was negatively affected due to noise at night from a corference set up and conditions of our property. It was unfortunate you choose to move rooms, as the original room allocated to you was located away from the Cumberland Suite. Please accept my sincerest apologies for both the disturbance and for falling short of your expectations.

I do appreciate your feedback both positive & negative as this is our best resource for improving facilities and services afforded to our guests at Dooly's Hotel

I hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again.

Kind Regards

Co Offaly

Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with a few lads on a weekend away. The rooms are dated but we found them clean. Breakfast was good and freshly cooked.
Great location in the town, good night club and hotel bar with plenty of bars in walking distance.
Found staff friendly. Note of warning to guests. The hotel car park has the narrowest entrance through a little arch. Bit of a joke.....Leave the limo at home.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank John H
DoolysHotel, General Manager at Dooly's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

Dear John H,

Thank you for taking time to review Dooly's Hotel on Tripadvisor. I am glad you enjoyed your recent stay - you found the rooms to be clean, breakfast freshly cooked and of good quality. As a group of lads on a weekend away, it's great you enjoyed the entertainment provided by the Hotel with live music at Dooly's Bar & the latest tunes at Melbas Nightclub over the weekend. I do appreciate your comments on access to the Complimentary Hotel Car Park, while the entrance is tight, there is more than ample space to access the complimentary car park.

It is great you found our staff friendly & I have passed on your comments to the team. I hope to welcome you back to Dooly's Hotel again soon.

Co. Offaly

Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on Saturday as we had a family party in the town. I think I should have stayed in my car.
When we arrived in our room number 32 you could see where wall paper had been patch up as the colours didn't match there was black mould on the walls in area also.
The biggest surprise was left for us in the bathroom as the toilet had been used and left as a gift for us.
The nightclub was ok abit of going back in time.
Breakfast wasn't great very bad selection at the cereal and juice table. Cooked breakfast was cooked but left most as it just didn't have a taste of yum.

Was told by others that stay at b&b around the town they really enjoy them better.

This is one place I would not be rushing back to it really need to be updated in the rooms

• Stayed: May 2014
4  Thank Michelle B
DoolysHotel, General Manager at Dooly's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Dear Michelle B,

It is with dismay I read your damning review following your recent stay at Dooly's Hotel. I do accept your comment of a small damp patch in the joint of the bedroom wall - the joys of a 250 year old heritage building & the adverse winter just past. This issue is at hand and I do apoloise for this inconvenience.

With regard to your comment on poor bathroom housekeeping, I have discussed your complaint with our Accommodation Supervisor and am assured this was a one off instance. This is unacceptable and again I unreservedly apologise for this shortcoming. I also note your comments on Breakfast - our "bad selection of cereals" comprised of Kellogs mini cereals in 8 varieties plus Porridge cooked to order. Full Irish Breakfast or your Omelette of choice is also cooked to order unlike many establishments.

While I do accept the individual issues may have impacted on your guest experience, I must stress at this point, however, had you reported any of these issues to Hotel Management, only then has the Hotel an opportunity to recitify your complaint. Furthermore, you were given an opportunity to again voice a complaint on departure, when our Head Receptionist asked you how was your stay. You again decided not to do so. I find it puzzling that in the first instance you chose not to report either of the alleged issues yet are compelled to write such a severe review on this forum.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

A party of 3, we stayed here while attending a wedding in Birr. It was a really pleasant experience. Particularly of note was the helpfulness of all the staff, from the bar to the restaurant to housekeeping. The full breakfast was very good, especially the sausages. The hotel also had gluten-free breads. The hotel has a lot of character and many areas have obviously been newly refurbished. Would stay again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sightseeing2008

Dear Sightseeing2008,

Thank you for your kind comments following your recent two day stay at Dooly's Hotel. It is great to read you found our staff to be most helpful in all departments. I am delighted you enjoyed our cuisine and availed of the gluten free breads on offer. We are currently in the middle of a ongoing improvement plan and it is most gratifying you acknowledge the recent refurbishments within the Hotel.

I hope to see you back in Dooly's hotel again soon.

Co Offaly

Also consider these accommodations in or near Birr
County Arms Hotel & Leisure Club
Sheraton Athlone
#3 of 9 in Athlone
11 mi away
Racket Hall Country House Hotel

Been to Dooly's Hotel? Share your experiences!