“Lack of flower colour”

4-Day Irish Castles and Gardens Small-Group Tour from Dublin
Ranked #1 of 9 things to do in Birr
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Birr Castle Gardens and Science Centre A Demesne of Discovery open daily from 9.00 until 18.00. The Award Winning Gardens of Birr Castle and the newly revamped Science Centre are rich in flowers, rare trees, extraordinary feats of science and engineering and wonderful wildlife. The Parsons family invite you to explore one of the most extraordinary places in Ireland. Created over generations it is an environmental and scientific time capsule. Treehouse Adventure Area This adventure area inside the Garden houses Ireland’s largest treehouse as well as picnic areas, a bouncy pillow, sand pits and dens. Great Telescope This, the largest telescope in the world for over 70 years, was constructed in the 1840s by the Third Earl of Rosse. With it he discovered the spiral nature of certain nebulae – leading to their identification as galaxies.
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Got to Castle in afternoon to find out Castle only opens in mornings I should of checked before going. Took a walk around garden's for one hour and was disappointed with lack of flower colour but a really nice walk.

1  Thank 839paul

Reviewed 3 August 2014

We enjoyed this beautiful walk around the grounds, and the kids really enjoyed the playground and the huge tree-house. The castle looked amazing but as it is occupied we couldn't get too close and were not allowed into the building for a tour, which is understandable. The large telescope was a very interesting piece of history. It was a little expensive for a family but overall very enjoyable.

1  Thank Michael M
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I find myself enjoying lreland's castles more than I expected when we left for the green isle. Birr is a great stop; we can't enter the living quarters because family still resides there. No matter... its big draw is the telescope built in 1845 and the largest in the world at the time. 6 ft. w/ a 5 in. mirror. The public can get up close n personal to it as they check it out.
I spent my time, however, walking the garden n river paths. What a great time for introspection. The flowers are beautifully cared for and line the castle walls etc. My only problem is that I got lost returning to the main gates. Yes, you're offered a map of the layout because the gardens n paths are exquisite n extensive, but when I showed my map to other travelers n asked for the most direct way to the exit, they all told me to put the map away... it's laid out poorly, they said.
There's a long path --45 min. walking or so -- and a shorter trail. Stop at the hothouses, rest on a bench under the trees by the stream, or play w/ the kids in their "park." Do NOT miss the telescope n DO learn the history of the family BEFORE your visit. Birr is well worth your time n energy.

2  Thank Heathcote H
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

Birr castle looks really rich with the gardens and lake surrounding it. Your whole day can be spend there by walking through the beautiful gardens and the children's can play in the children's park. When you feel hungry , a nice well maintained cafe is there.

1  Thank Merly R
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Went here with my girlfriend, and we had a lovely day out! We were lucky and had great weather, the sun was shining and the rain held off, the gardens are lovely to walk around and very peaceful! You can pay extra to see the castle but the family live there which means you can't see much!

1  Thank PaddyD2000