“Wow”

and 1 more site!
The Maltings
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Birr
Reviewed 17 August 2014

What can I say, the hotel is fantastic great value for money. Maeve makes you feel like you are part of her family from the second you walk through the door, nothing is too much trouble, even offering us a lift to the hotel we were going too for a wedding reception. The views and location are amazing and lying in bed with the sound of the river beside you is a lovely experience. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: August 2014

Reviewed 7 August 2014

I stayed in the Maltings en route to Derry from Cork by bike and it was the best overnight of the trip. Great location, excellent breakfast and genuine, warm hospitality. I'd recommend the Maltings very highly.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Declanoco
Reviewed 2 August 2014

The Maltings is great, site is cool, room clean and big, and sound of river is like a lullaby. The best thing is Maeve herself. Breakfast starts at eight, but when we told her we had to be off at 6:30 am, she offered to get up at six and have food for us. Even hot scones!!!! She gave us a map and great ideas for local food and directed us a faster way to Dublin. I want to go back and spend a few nights there--Birr has a castle, gardens, and we found a great pub, Havertys, and the town was not touristy at all.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank genny l
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Another "spur of the moment booking" (actually recommended in a guide book) and it delivered straight away. The owner offered us tea and cake (and chocolate digestives :-)) on arrival and gave us a great recommendation for dinner ("The Thatch" as few miles up the road out of Birr). The room was excellent: really comfortable and nice outlook over the river. Wi-Fi worked properly from the room and was free. Plenty of parking outside. best of all was going to sleep listening to the sounds of the river running over a nearby weir. Will guarantee a good night's sleep (unless the sound of running water gives you problems!). Lovely. Breakfast next day was great.

Room Tip: we were in room 4 but I thin rooms 1-4 would be similar. Room 5 is an extra flight of stairs.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Andy J
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I stayed here recently for one night. I found the owners extremely hospitable and the reception area etc., fine. The area where it is located has good parking and is relatively quiet, for those who find it hard to sleep the small river behind is quite noisy, I thought it was lovely and enjoyed the sound but some may think different! The room was spacious and no real concerns here, the only small complaints were that the kettle was empty in the room, if it were very late it would have been inconvenient to get it filled and the frame surround on the entry door has a small gap where you can actually look into the room from outside! With the hot water full up on the shower, it was still almost cold, it did not appear that you can reduce the cold water flow on the unit to increase the heat so I left it and moved on to breakfast. This was fine and the view outside to the river is really lovely. I hesitate to give complaints in family run places but for €80 a night I expect things to be spot-on. Birr town is well worth a visit and I enjoyed our stop here and our visit the the groounds of the Castle too.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Paul S
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Converted Guinness malt house beside a rippling river that has a pretty walk alongside the town of Birr. Both restaurant and bedroom overlook the stream and very relaxing to enjoy a marvellous breakfast hot and cold with a superb choice from cooked Irish, fruit, cereals, croissants etc.
Large airy comfortable bedroom.
Maeve is a great host.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Keir C
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

I have previously worked in Birr and am a regular visitor. I stay at the Maltings each time. This family run guesthouse is fabulous as others have said. Only background noise is water trickling over a weir on the adjacent river. Birr is a well kept secret with lots to do especially for families. The river walk and the castle are musts. Playground, library, restaurants and shopping nearby. I'll be back again (and again and again. . . )

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank wyldwyll1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birr
County Arms Hotel & Leisure Club
Great National Abbey Court Hotel & Spa
Sheraton Athlone
Sheraton Athlone
#3 of 9 in Athlone

Been to The Maltings? Share your experiences!