“Wonderful meal in a fabulous setting”
Review of The Thatch

The Thatch
Ranked #4 of 26 Restaurants in Birr
Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We were having an overnight stop over in Birr and saw a sigh for the Thatch. We got seated almost immediately despite having no booking. We decided to order from the early bird menu - 2 courses for 25 euro per person. We ordered chowder to start and it was one of the best I have ever had ( and i have had plenty)! It was thick, creamy and very flavorsome. My main course was pork fillet, my partners was chicken stuffed with ham. Mashed potatoes, garlic potatoes and a beautiful selection of vegetables completed the meal. It was delicious. Portions were huge, service was prompt and attentive. The staff were so friendly without being overbearing, the dishes were cleared away promptly and the bill was brought as soon as we asked. The meal was worth every cent. If we are ever back in Birr ( and i hope we are) I would not hesitate to eat here again. I would definately recommend this establishment to anyone travelling through Birr.

Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

Poped in here for lunch while passing. The pub looks great inside and out. It is a very warm and cosy setting. It was fairly busy while we were there but we managed to be seated. The place was clean. The waitress was very friendly. We ordered the chicken curry and pasta with bacon. I must say the portions were huge so if your hungry this is the place to go and the food is served very quickly. While the pasta dish was nice and flavoursome we were not overly impressed with the curry. The food is reasonably priced. We would probably return if we were passing the thatch again and try something else on the menu. :-)

Reviewed 29 June 2014

As we were staying in Kinnitty (which lacks restaurants) the Thatch was recommended to us. Great recommendation! Service was great from friendly, well informed servers. The food was fantastic and the atmosphere of this small pub is right on. We had a very pleasant time and enjoyed quality food during our stop.

1  Thank kilted2
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We were passing through Crinkill and decided to stop for lunch at the Thatch.
The service is great, very helpful, the price is reasonable. The food that we got was very tasty.
The only issue is that it was very limited if you're vegetarian, they were fine with us getting a few starters between us and a side order of chips. But if you wanted a big main meal and you're vegetarian it may not suit. If you like your meat, plenty to choose from.
Desserts are also very nice,

1  Thank butlaras
Reviewed 25 June 2014

had a meal in the thatch last Sunday evening .service was very good and prompt.meal was very poor i had duck and my partner had the pork . my duck was so over cooked the skin was soggy .i had 4 different sauces on my plate?. the pork was also dry and over cooked as for the veg oh my god felt like i was back in Ireland in the 80,s 2 small scoops of grey potato and a few soggy veg each, very sad attempt .very poor food for the money we spent.