“Very disappointed”
Review of Avon Ri

Avon Ri
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Blessington
Reviewed 2 September 2012

We were a family of 4 which included 2 small kids, when we checked in we found the house was not very clean, I was so disappointed I ended up cleaning the fridge etc and said to hell with this I did not come away to clean so I rang reception and they sent over a very nice girl called Michelle who addressed the issue. It was just a shame that this had to be done, there was a lot of hygiene issues eg stains on the carpets, dirty untensils in the kitchen and also there were a few maintenance issues which should be addressed eg paint work and skirting boards which should be replaced. There were 2 guys power hosing the following morning and thank god I was in the house as I had the windows opened upstairs who knows what would have happened, in normal circumstances hotels / resorts would inform the residents that this would be taking place. Also we went to the pool where I made sure that we all had our swim caps on and even had to buy one for the kids to discover the following day that there were a number of people in the pool in their boxer shorts and underwear with no hats !!!!!!!! the pool is not supervised (there are cameras at reception maybe they were not working this day hmmm ) We ate in the bar as the restaurant was closed (opened at weekends only) the service and staff there were excellent but could have had more variety on the menu eg sirloin steak / fillet of chicken (bacon and cabbage was the dish of the day on 2 nights we were told) I would question the standards of cleaning / servicing the houses at Avon Ri (The sofas were very dirty never moved and under the cushions terrible along with the legs of the coffee table underneath very dusty, shower heads very dirty and vents in bathrooms layered with a thick layer of dust - there for a while) Any way on a positive note the rooms were very spacious and the linen was clean tg.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Michelle K

Reviewed 9 August 2012

We booked the Avon Ri as a last minute desicion. There where 4 houses and 26 people. Firstly we asked for the 4 houses together which was confirmed, when we got there we realised that the houses where not together. We found the houses to be well equiped for our needs for the weekend. As there where a few kids with us the activities where of up most importance. All the kids and adults really enjoyed the sports, given one or two bruises. One thing we found was when we originally confirmed the prices for each sport, when we went to book them we where getting over charged which we did not find fare as we where spending enough there, ie food drink, activities. The bar staff where so friendly and helpful through the full weekend and could not do any more for us. They are a credit to the Avon Ri. The swimming pool is nothing to write home about. The pool is very small and cloudy , we didnt know when they cleaned the pool. The sauna room was broken when we where there as well. It would be fantastic if they updated the pool area. If I was to go back down I would get confirmation of the pricing for the activities as they do all add up. Bring extra towels if you are staying more than two days, Cooking oil for breakfast. Everything else was brilliant and we would deffinitly go back down again as a family.

Room Tip: Some of the houses are permentally lived in, so maybe a little bit away from them and not near the c...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank prittypolly82
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Having just spent the past week there, we were a family of 5 adults and 3 children. The house consisted of 3 bedrooms which were very spacious and the entire house was very clean. However for a family of that size I found that the fridge was too small for a self catering house. There is a need for alot more kitchenware ware too. The pool was great for the kids and I found it very clean. As I wanted to travel around Wicklow I did't book the children into the camp but to book individual activities I found too expensive as each activity was priced @ €25 per child per hour. This is very expensive as i had 3 children too pay for. The sweet shop was a complete rip off and I refused to use it. I can understand a small price increase but not the prices they were charging were over the top. Finally I have too say that €10 per day is too expensive for gas and electricity. As I didn't get my house until 5.40pm on the saturday I arrived I refused to pay the fee for that day and having to pay it for the day of departure is crazy considering you must vacate the house by 10am. The staff were very nice and pleasant at all times especially the lady on reception who tried to get me the key to use the back door to the garden.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Barbara W
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Family of 6 stayed for 1 week end of June. Rented 3 bed house, very spacious bedrooms and well equipped kitchen. Very comfortable beds and overall a very clean house. Food in the hotel bar was top class and reasonable and staff were very friendly and efficient. Only negative was the showers which had very little power and the jacuzzi did not seem to work properly. Lovely location on the shores of Blessington lakes. Great facilities on site for families with Gym, pool, sauna, tennis courts animal farm and water sports. All houses are within 2 minutes walking distance of hotel. Would highly recommend for families or couples young or old.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Arrowangler
Reviewed 14 July 2012

Arrived 7th July for week long holiday- two families each with a 2yr old toddler. Can't rate this place highly enough. Clean rooms, crisp white linen and towels, and a very well equipped kitchen (washer/dryer, dishwasher, microwave, fridge with icebox and all utensils, dishwasher tabs and washing tabs provided). Two very large spacious rooms upstairs, each with ensuite, and a large spacey double downstairs beside the main bathroom. Bar food was great, and staff extremely helpful. Husband also found the Guinness to be of a high standard! Toddlers loved the walks, animal paddock (ducks, chickens, pigs, sheep, goats etc) and small play area. We found the location to be great for day trips- both country bound and into city. All in all, brilliant. Would def return!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Niamh M
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Great place for a family holiday, all the staff are excellent, accommodation is very good, we stayed in 3bed house which was a home from home had everything you could need and very clean. Kids joined the adventure camp and did sailing, archery, Segway, climbing wall, canoeing, orienteering etc, we had a go at archery, shooting and Segway and hired out bikes, area is excellent for bike rides, we ate in the bar 5 out of the 7 nights all the food was excellent and so were the bar staff, the Guiness is very good also, all in all a fantastic week was had by all members of the family.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 July 2012

The self catering accomodation was very nice - the 3 bedrooms (2 double, 1 twim) and 3 bathrooms were fine, clean and roomy, though the living area was a little small for 6 people. It was very clean but kitchen cutlery and ware was limited to just 6 of everything which was a real constraint. It was very economical and a great alternative to hotel rooms when there are a few people travelling together.

Room Tip: Ask for patio furniture if you like sitting outdoors as not all houses have them
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Terry_forr
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blessington
Glenview Hotel
#1 of 1 in Macreddin Village
The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club
The Martello Hotel
Killashee  - Hotel Spa Leisure

Been to Avon Ri? Share your experiences!