“Nice location which deserves a nice facility”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Avon Ri

and 1 more site!
Avon Ri
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Blessington
Turriff, United Kingdom
“Nice location which deserves a nice facility”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Currently staying in house 64 (the house of grime). Tried to have a shower this morning and nearly flooded the bathroom, have since removed a large quantity of black, smelly hair and debris from the plug hole and returned it to reception. Dishwasher works when on switch is forced down with a key (as instructed by the maintenance guy) make sure you close the door quick - at least the floor is washed clean. If you walk around the house every room shows neglect and faults. In the kitchen you are provided with an odd assortment of crockery and cutlery, many complete with chips. It is a nice house in a lovely location but badly let down by lack of housekeeping and maintenance.

Stayed August 2014
7 Thank Jackie J
avonri, Manager at Avon Ri, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Dear Sir.

Thank you very much for taking my call this evening and thank you again for being so understanding.

We greatly appreciate our guests feedback which is this case was constructive criticism and we are terribly sorry for the inconvenience caused to you and your family due to our short comings. As discussed we have learnt a very valuable lesson from your experience and not one we are proud of but I can assure you that we have put the corrective action into place that I explained to you when we spoke and we will strive to ensure a similar situation never happens again.

As per our conversation we are delighted that you and your family had a good rest of the week with us and found the second house we placed you in to be of good quality and standard which is the norm here in Avon Ri. House 64 slipped through the net after having long term guests which as I stated is absolutely no excuse and should have been checked thoroughly by a Supervisor.

I sincerely hope we see you again in the future if members of your family do move over to the Emerald Isle! (",)

Laura & The Avon Ri Team.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
belfast
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed here for 5 days in July 2014 and took two houses for two families. There is a lot to commend this village. The location was fantastic and it appealed to all ages ..the children really enjoyed all of the activities and the adults could explore the beautiful countryside; it is also within easy reach of Russborough House which is well worth a visit; the staff were really helpful and friendly. We were however a little disappointed: Firstly the houses were not cleaned to a high standard, in fact the first two houses we were allocated had a pungent smell although the staff readily agreed to relocate us. The next houses were much better but the carpets,like the first, were filthy and the oven had not been properly cleaned, the paintwork /plaster could have been touched up; secondly it would have been great had there been blackout blinds esp as we had small children; The living rooms are best suited for 4 rather than 6 guests - the sofas are for four people. The food in the restaurant was ok although the service on one of the nights was a little slow. With a few small tweaks and greater attention to the cleaning and maintenance of the houses this could be a fantastic holiday destination.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank BelfastMargaret
Limerick, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

Great location we just used it as a base to see Wicklow from. Houses were lovely very spacious and spotlessly clean, nice quiet complex. We did use the pool which was nice and cool given the outside temps this July. My only complaint was the ladies changing rooms were manky! I assume this was an oversight on the day as my husband said the mens were fine.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Kathleen201405
avonri, Manager at Avon Ri, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Dear Kathleen201405,

Thank you very much for taking time to write a review about our resort, we greatly value our guests feedback.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our houses and found them quiet, spacious and clean, I am sorry however that you found our ladies changing rooms in the pool area not up to standard. I have passed on your comments to the Leisure Centre manager who will strive to ensure a similar situation does not happen again.

We hope to see you again in the future!

Cork, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

After spending a week at the Avon Ri hotel in Blessington I came away with very mixed feelings about the hotel.

On positive side.
I loved the location of the hotel. The scenery is beautiful and the hotel is with a easy distance from Dublin City, Glendalough, Russborough House, Wicklow Gap etc
My family really enjoyed the swimming pool, animal enclosure and the activity center sounded great though my children were a bit young to take part in most of the activities.
The bedrooms in the house where we stayed were large and spacious.
Bar food in the hotel was excellent.

On the negative side.
The house was missing some essentials, No clothes horse, no garden furniture, no vegetable peeler, no tea pot, only one sharp knife.
The carpets in the house weren't the cleanest.
Cigarette butts all over the place outside the backdoor.
The advertised Children entertainment (film, games etc) never happened the first night we were there. One of the members of staff had taken home the laptop :( This was a major disappointed for my 2 boys as we had decided to hang around the hotel that day as we were tired after the drive from Cork. I don't know if this was a once off or a regular occurrence as we didn't stay around for it any other evening.
The bar closed at 10pm (yes 10pm) on the Sunday night. I had planned on going for a quiet pint. I was late getting to the bar as we had been at Tayto park all that day only to discover the bar closing 15mins after I got there.
The hotel felt very understaffed, requests were dealt with very slowly or not at all.

I know all these are just little things but they let down what could otherwise be an excellent hotel and holiday choice.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank twosean
avonri, Manager at Avon Ri, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear TwoSean,

Thank you very much for taking time to write a review of our resort. We greatly value our guests feedback.

We are really pleased you enjoyed our bar food, pool and petting farm and found the bedrooms spacious. I am concerned however that you had some issues with our houses and our bar. I would like to discuss these further with you if possible as I would like to ensure a similar situation does not arise again, please can you email me at laura@avonri.com or call me on 045 900 670.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

Just back from a 4 night stay with my parents husband and 15 yr old daughter. We had lovely break away. My view is simple... Avon Ri is lucky to be where it is , the lakes and mountains are amazing and for that I'm thankful. The house we stayed in wasn't great the carpet was dirty the light shade in the kitchen was filthy. There was cigarette butts outside the back door. We didn't have any garden furniture. The shower door in our bathroom was damaged and there were cobwebs on the curtain poles and in the corners of the bathrooms!! Mentioned all this to a staff member on check out she took my details but as of yet no reply. I'm honest when I tell people of my experience !!!

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Nollag265
Dear Nollag265,

Thank you for taking time to write a review of our resort however on this occasion I am saddened to read that you did not find our houses up to the standard by which we pride ourselves on and even more that you have not been contacted as requested by you.

Please can you email me on laura@avonri.com or call me on 045 900 670 to discuss your issues further as I would like to rectify them immediately and unfortunately I don't know your contact details using this review information as I don't know which house it was that you stayed in.

Laura Stopforth
Assistant Manager
Wexford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Just returned from staying at the Avon Ri for a friends wedding. Over the three days all the staff we met were friendly and helpful. The food was delicious and the place was kept clean and tidy. The house rental costs are really reasonable the only negative would be the size of the downstairs bedroom (it's quite compact and is not en-suite only the two upstairs are). The views from the resort are amazing overlooking the lake. I'd definitely recommend the Avon Ri and will definitely be a return customer.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear C-98629867,

Thank you very much for taking time to write a review of our resort!

We are delighted you enjoyed attending your friends wedding, found our team friendly and helpful and our food delicious - that's always our goal!

I have passed on your lovely comments to our team and we look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Kind regards,

Laura and The Avon Ri Team.
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

Avon Ri is a resort of holiday homes located beside Blessignton Lake (called a lake but is actually a reservoir so no water skiing is permitted) and near to Blessington village. The scenery around the resort is beautiful set as it is in the Wicklow Mountains with a range of walking and cycling paths around the lake. My trip was with a group of 5 friends and we stayed in a house that was said to accommodate 6 people. This was the second time I'd stayed at Avon Ri. I've split my review into pros and cons for ease of reference below.

The Good Points:
Picturesque mountain and lake location,
Modern houses with ensuites and free car parking,
Close to the village of Blessington with pubs, shops and takeaways,
Easy access to Dublin (approx 20 - 25 mins drive away),
Free use of the gym, pool, sauna, jacuzzi,
Friendly, helpful staff,
Wide range of activities available on-site (both land and water based activities) - We booked a half day of activities - Segway, Archery and Kayaking which was great fun. The instructor was knowledgeable, friendly and a good laugh.

The Bad Points:
Our house smelled very musty and of stale cigarette smoke - Even though it's no smoking clearly previous residents have smoked in the property.
The carpets in the house were very dirty downstairs where there is a lot of traffic - This issue could easily be resolved with wooden or tiled flooring.
The TV available was an old, small CRT TV - Poor considering how cheap 32 inch flat screen TV's are nowadays. Thankfully we brought our own flat screen TV.
Although the house was for 6 people 3 of the beds were double beds rather than twin singles which was not ideal for 6 lads. Also the lounge was more suited to 4 people rather than 6 - with 2 people per sofa.
The swimming pool is very small (I mean like bath tub small) - Ok for small children but useless for a proper swim for an adult unless you just want to float on your back!

To summarise - The resort is in a beautiful location with lots of activities and friendly staff but there is definitely room for improvement in the standard of the houses.

Room Tip: No wifi in the houses at the resort but there was free wifi available in the reception area.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Andrew M
Dear Andrew M,

Thank you very much for taking time to write a review of our resort! We are really pleased that you enjoyed your time with us, that you had fun doing the activities, found our team friendly & helpful and thought our location was beautiful!

I am saddened however to read your review regarding the houses. I am sorry if you were not aware that all of our houses were identical and had two x double bedrooms and one twin bedroom, if you don't mind I'd like to know how you made your reservation so I can work out how you were never given this information as it baffles me.

In relation to the carpets we are in the process of having all of our carpets professionally cleaned, as you can imagine they do get quite dirty, especially with people taking part in outdoor activities and then walking back through the houses with muddy boots. In an ideal world everyone would take their boots off at the front door but alas we just can't monitor that. We have started the ball rolling with changing the carpets to wooden flooring but thank you for the suggestion because it's a great one!

If you would like to discuss anything further please do not hesitate to contact me at laura@avonri.com or on 045 900 670 .

Kind regards,

Laura and The Avon Ri Team.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blessington
Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort
Osprey Hotel & Spa
Lawlors Hotel
Lawlors Hotel
#1 of 5 in Naas

Been to Avon Ri? Share your experiences!