“3 hours stay for 150 euro”
Review of Avon Ri

Avon Ri
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Blessington
Kildare, Ireland
“3 hours stay for 150 euro”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

we were there yesterday August 4, 2014 to celebrate my daughters 4th birthday. We checked in at 2 o'clock. We brought in some food for the visitors and cooked some in the house that we stayed in. When some of the visitors started to arrive at around 3 and started eating, one of my visitor noticed that the occupant of the other house started to bang their door as if they are annoyed. And about 4o'clock when the kids and some of the adults started using the pool two guys went into the house and told me that there was a complain and too many people are staying in the house(more than 30). He told me that it was a health and safety issue as if there is fire ,there is no way all those people would be able to get out. I told him that we are having a birthday party and the visitors will leave. He said that he will check on us again after a few hours to make sure that 6 people will stay in the house for the night. Then my wife was called in the reception by Valerie the manager and I went there as well. She was insisting that we lied to her and we broke the rules. That too may people are staying in the house and there were 16 people using the pool that said they are staying in our house. She said that we need to leave/vacate the house right away, that was 4:30 as we had broken the rules, we just told her that the visitors are still eating, and as she continues to insist that the health and safety issue had been broken in the pool as too many people went in there,16 is what she insisted and only 6 people are allowed to stay in the house. I just told her that if she just wanted me to pay for those people,she said yes |I will have to pay 160 euro right away.
Then I told her its fine, then lets just count how many people are there in the pool. There were only 12 in the pool and some of them are not even swimming, just minding the kids. I went back to the house and my wife told me that she ask Valerie how much that she have to pay. She said no. And we continued on with the party. But we decided to leave the house at 5 o'clock because we are already upset of what had happened and even the kids said that it was the other house that complained and in the pool area they were ask to leave the pool because they do not have a house, but three of them are my kids. She even told us that we acted as if we own the place. She said that we will not get any refund.
I do not know why we were treated like that.
By the way we are Filipino/Irish.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Danilo Z
avonri, Manager at Avon Ri, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Danilo Z,

Thank you for taking time to write your review however on this occasion we are concerned to read your comments.

My colleagues that you were dealing with at our reception desk were only trying to follow our companies policies and procedures in relation to Health & Safety and if you perceived us as being rude then I am terribly sorry for this but I can assure you it wasn't intended.

All of our literiture states that our houses hold 6 people, they all have 2 x double rooms and 1 x twin room, therefore they sleep six people, here in Avon Ri we class children as people as everybody needs a bed to sleep in.

In relation to your child's birthday party, we are not allowed to authorise so many people in one house as it breaches our fire regulations and ultimately our insurance policy. It also adds extra wear and tear to a house accommodating so many people. If you had asked us for permission for so many people to use your house in advance then we would have been able to tell you that this would not be possible.

In relation to the swimming pool, we are sorry if you misunderstood my colleague when she explained to you that only residents staying in the houses were permitted to use the pool, again due to Health & Safety regulations and this is why one of our Team Members spoke to you because you had allowed non paying members of your group to use your access fob to gain entry to our pool.

If you would like to discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact me on 045 900 670 or at laura@avonri.com.

Laura & The Avon Ri Team.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Spilsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Currently staying in house 64 (the house of grime). Tried to have a shower this morning and nearly flooded the bathroom, have since removed a large quantity of black, smelly hair and debris from the plug hole and returned it to reception. Dishwasher works when on switch is forced down with a key (as instructed by the maintenance guy) make sure you close the door quick - at least the floor is washed clean. If you walk around the house every room shows neglect and faults. In the kitchen you are provided with an odd assortment of crockery and cutlery, many complete with chips. It is a nice house in a lovely location but badly let down by lack of housekeeping and maintenance.

Stayed August 2014
7 Thank Jackie J
avonri, Manager at Avon Ri, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Dear Sir.

Thank you very much for taking my call this evening and thank you again for being so understanding.

We greatly appreciate our guests feedback which is this case was constructive criticism and we are terribly sorry for the inconvenience caused to you and your family due to our short comings. As discussed we have learnt a very valuable lesson from your experience and not one we are proud of but I can assure you that we have put the corrective action into place that I explained to you when we spoke and we will strive to ensure a similar situation never happens again.

As per our conversation we are delighted that you and your family had a good rest of the week with us and found the second house we placed you in to be of good quality and standard which is the norm here in Avon Ri. House 64 slipped through the net after having long term guests which as I stated is absolutely no excuse and should have been checked thoroughly by a Supervisor.

I sincerely hope we see you again in the future if members of your family do move over to the Emerald Isle! (",)

belfast
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed here for 5 days in July 2014 and took two houses for two families. There is a lot to commend this village. The location was fantastic and it appealed to all ages ..the children really enjoyed all of the activities and the adults could explore the beautiful countryside; it is also within easy reach of Russborough House which is well worth a visit; the staff were really helpful and friendly. We were however a little disappointed: Firstly the houses were not cleaned to a high standard, in fact the first two houses we were allocated had a pungent smell although the staff readily agreed to relocate us. The next houses were much better but the carpets,like the first, were filthy and the oven had not been properly cleaned, the paintwork /plaster could have been touched up; secondly it would have been great had there been blackout blinds esp as we had small children; The living rooms are best suited for 4 rather than 6 guests - the sofas are for four people. The food in the restaurant was ok although the service on one of the nights was a little slow. With a few small tweaks and greater attention to the cleaning and maintenance of the houses this could be a fantastic holiday destination.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank BelfastMargaret
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Great location we just used it as a base to see Wicklow from. Houses were lovely very spacious and spotlessly clean, nice quiet complex. We did use the pool which was nice and cool given the outside temps this July. My only complaint was the ladies changing rooms were manky! I assume this was an oversight on the day as my husband said the mens were fine.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Kathleen201405
avonri, Manager at Avon Ri, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Dear Kathleen201405,

Thank you very much for taking time to write a review about our resort, we greatly value our guests feedback.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our houses and found them quiet, spacious and clean, I am sorry however that you found our ladies changing rooms in the pool area not up to standard. I have passed on your comments to the Leisure Centre manager who will strive to ensure a similar situation does not happen again.

We hope to see you again in the future!

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 23 July 2014

After spending a week at the Avon Ri hotel in Blessington I came away with very mixed feelings about the hotel.

On positive side.
I loved the location of the hotel. The scenery is beautiful and the hotel is with a easy distance from Dublin City, Glendalough, Russborough House, Wicklow Gap etc
My family really enjoyed the swimming pool, animal enclosure and the activity center sounded great though my children were a bit young to take part in most of the activities.
The bedrooms in the house where we stayed were large and spacious.
Bar food in the hotel was excellent.

On the negative side.
The house was missing some essentials, No clothes horse, no garden furniture, no vegetable peeler, no tea pot, only one sharp knife.
The carpets in the house weren't the cleanest.
Cigarette butts all over the place outside the backdoor.
The advertised Children entertainment (film, games etc) never happened the first night we were there. One of the members of staff had taken home the laptop :( This was a major disappointed for my 2 boys as we had decided to hang around the hotel that day as we were tired after the drive from Cork. I don't know if this was a once off or a regular occurrence as we didn't stay around for it any other evening.
The bar closed at 10pm (yes 10pm) on the Sunday night. I had planned on going for a quiet pint. I was late getting to the bar as we had been at Tayto park all that day only to discover the bar closing 15mins after I got there.
The hotel felt very understaffed, requests were dealt with very slowly or not at all.

I know all these are just little things but they let down what could otherwise be an excellent hotel and holiday choice.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank twosean
avonri, Manager at Avon Ri, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear TwoSean,

Thank you very much for taking time to write a review of our resort. We greatly value our guests feedback.

We are really pleased you enjoyed our bar food, pool and petting farm and found the bedrooms spacious. I am concerned however that you had some issues with our houses and our bar. I would like to discuss these further with you if possible as I would like to ensure a similar situation does not arise again, please can you email me at laura@avonri.com or call me on 045 900 670.

Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

Just back from a 4 night stay with my parents husband and 15 yr old daughter. We had lovely break away. My view is simple... Avon Ri is lucky to be where it is , the lakes and mountains are amazing and for that I'm thankful. The house we stayed in wasn't great the carpet was dirty the light shade in the kitchen was filthy. There was cigarette butts outside the back door. We didn't have any garden furniture. The shower door in our bathroom was damaged and there were cobwebs on the curtain poles and in the corners of the bathrooms!! Mentioned all this to a staff member on check out she took my details but as of yet no reply. I'm honest when I tell people of my experience !!!

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Nollag265
avonri, Manager at Avon Ri, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Nollag265,

Thank you for taking time to write a review of our resort however on this occasion I am saddened to read that you did not find our houses up to the standard by which we pride ourselves on and even more that you have not been contacted as requested by you.

Please can you email me on laura@avonri.com or call me on 045 900 670 to discuss your issues further as I would like to rectify them immediately and unfortunately I don't know your contact details using this review information as I don't know which house it was that you stayed in.

Laura Stopforth
Assistant Manager
Wexford
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Just returned from staying at the Avon Ri for a friends wedding. Over the three days all the staff we met were friendly and helpful. The food was delicious and the place was kept clean and tidy. The house rental costs are really reasonable the only negative would be the size of the downstairs bedroom (it's quite compact and is not en-suite only the two upstairs are). The views from the resort are amazing overlooking the lake. I'd definitely recommend the Avon Ri and will definitely be a return customer.

• Stayed July 2014
avonri, Manager at Avon Ri, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear C-98629867,

Thank you very much for taking time to write a review of our resort!

We are delighted you enjoyed attending your friends wedding, found our team friendly and helpful and our food delicious - that's always our goal!

I have passed on your lovely comments to our team and we look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Kind regards,

Laura and The Avon Ri Team.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blessington
Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort
#1 of 1 in Glen Of The Downs
Osprey Hotel & Spa
Killashee  - Hotel Spa Leisure
The Royal Hotel and Merrill Leisure Club

Been to Avon Ri? Share your experiences!