“Cosy hotel-food excellent”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Buncrana
DERRY
“Cosy hotel-food excellent”
Reviewed 4 September 2010

I felt that i had to write a recent review of this hotel and make sure that anyone in the area on holiday doesn't miss this little gem of a hotel. We have been here quite a few times since we first found it. The staff are excellent and the Manager Patricia is very pleasant and nothing is too much trouble. I am Coeliac and that is another reason i liked this hotel. The menu there caters for Coeliacs and has it clearly marked . The fact that local people frequent the hotel is another good sign it always has a good crowd in without the service suffering. Make sure you don't miss out on it!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank CYNDIFAN

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Ventnor City, New Jersey
Reviewed 3 May 2010

Overall our stay at this hotel was a pleasant one. The staff was very nice and the food was good. The manager (blonde lady) of the hotel however, was very unprofessional. When we entered the hotel she was unwelcoming and lacked basic manners. We had a small complaint about the food and she made a very rude comment about the situation. She made us feel like we were unwelcomed there.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bandits_Life
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2009

We were booked in here by a cousin and wewere delighted with the choice, There was nothing that we had to complain about, We stayed for three Nights and it wasn't enough, we met up with family in the evening and as the night went on we were able to go into the disco/nightclub, we had a fab time. The room was roomy, fresh, and although decor might have been somewhat dated, that didn't worry me at all. I was there to see family and sights not decor. We went back again to Buncrana this year twice, and called in here for meals, as i knew they were good from previous experience, and this time there was 5 of us over and everyone was delighted with their meals. Only reason we didn't stay in the Lake of Shaddows was because on both visits we rented a house as there was too many of us to be able to afford it. Much cheaper to rent a house for a few weeks than book into any hotel.

• Stayed April 2007
dungannon
Reviewed 22 October 2009

When I arrived my room smelt of smoke which i didnt like very much! No other room was available so it was open windows for the evening! It was still a bit smelly when i retired for the night but I left the window opened the next day so by the evening it was not so bad. The shower was lovely and hot with plenty of water and the towels were nice and white. The bed was nice and clean as well. The breakfast was very good and made to order which I prefer! Plenty of choice! I had dinner one evening and it was like a FEAST! Five courses!! And cooked to perfection as well. The food alone was better than I have had at many a 4 star hotel. The staff were brilliant, unobtrusive, but there when you wanted them. There was a lovely dance on that evening and plenty of ballroom dancing......putting me to shame!!!! The leisure vacillities were available at the sister hotel, the innishowen gateway just up the road. All in all, I would definitely come back here and use this hotel. Next time I will ask for a non-smoking room.

• Stayed October 2009
2 Thank moorlass
Manchester
Reviewed 23 April 2009

This hotel has been refurbished since our last stay with a lift installed. The room was very clean and comfortable. Breakfast and dinner were excellent with very good value. Free entry to the entertainment on the Saturday night was an added bonus. We thouroughly enjoyed our stay and hope to return later in the year.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
N Ireland
Reviewed 23 June 2008

This is only a 2 star hotel so my expectations weren't high. But I was still disappointed. The hotel was shabby, the room was small, there was only one bedside lamp and they couldn't find another for us, and the toilet seat was broken. We stayed two nights against my better judgement. The room wasn't cleaned in between - bed made and towels changed and cups washed but no cleaning. There wasn't enough toilet paper and the tissue box had 4 tissues and wasn't re-filled the second day.

I reported the broken toilet seat on the Friday and again on the Saturday and was told - when I reported it the second time - that the maintenance man wouldn't be available until Monday!

We had a lunch on the Saturday and my order was wrong and had to be sent back. Overall the food was very average.

The staff were pleasant and the breakfast was good. But I would never use this hotel again and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It was very poor value for money.

• Liked — breakfast
  • Disliked — cleanliness
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank TootsNIreland
Essex
Reviewed 5 July 2007

We stayed at this hotel as it was very conveniently situated. We were visiting a friend in area and this really was the only hotel I could find.

I found the staff were very friendly indeed and this was really the only plus point of the stay.

We were there for 2 nights and for the price of the room, 130Euros a nights, I felt we were overcharged. The room was small, very old fashioned and a bit shoddy but very clean indeed. There was a bath and overhead shower which was good too.

The main problem was our breakfast. There was very little choice of cereal/fruit/juices etc especially for a hotel and when we asked for fish there was none although it was mentioned on the menu. I have had better breakfasts at B&Bs.

• Liked — The friendly staff
  • Disliked — the breakfast a
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank helvin2001
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buncrana
Inishowen Gateway
Ballyliffin Hotel
Ballyliffin Hotel
#3 of 4 in Ballyliffin
Ballyliffin Lodge & Spa Hotel

Been to Lake of Shadows Hotel? Share your experiences!