“Trip to see santa”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Buncrana
Northern Ireland
“Trip to see santa”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2011

Just back from a one night stay to the Innishowen Gateway hotel. The family room was large, clean and warm. We ate in the bar and the choice of food was excellent and the portions were very generous. The food itself was really good - I was dubious following the previous reviews re food but concerns were not valid. The service from all staff that served us was attentive and friendly.

The leisure centre, especially the swimming pool, was great for the children and ourselves alike. All staff involved in the Santa's Kingdom were great and made our children feel special. After attending Santa's Kingdom the children were offered a movie night and a chance to play in the children's play area the morning after attending Santa's Kingdom.

Finally, having returned home, the Children have just received a letter from Santa thanking them for meeting him in Innishowen,

The hotel may be 3 star in grade but the service we received was 4 plus.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Mourneview

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
Ballymena, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2011

just booked for 1 night to take daughter to santas wonderland
room was good size and meal was lovely
hotel was spotless,most of all my daughter had a fantastic time
will book again 4 next year

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Norma C
Cookstown, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2011

I have to say that I never write reviews but I thought that I needed to write this one, there where 3 of us on this girlie night away and usually it is very hard to find somewhere that can accomadete three people in one room but we where plesently surprised that the Inishowen was able to do this. The room was lovely and very clean, the beds comfy and the staff where all very friendly. The food was lovely as we had dinner and breakfast there was plenty to eat at both. We also used the swimming pool etc. again all very clean - the only dissapointment was the showers in the changing area they where not very powerful, and it is a comunial changing room which I really dont like ( I prefer a bit of privacy as I am trying to wriggle out of a wet swimsuit. But dispite this, this was a very enjoyable night away and we will deffinetly be coming back.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tracy M
Donegal
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2011

I had a business lunch in here yesterday and I will start with the positive (the one and only I might add!) The service, the waitress was an absolute delight, professional, friendly and attentive.

Now for the rest, we had lunch in the Bar and both had soup to start (vegetable) to say it was bland and watery is an understatement.

For main, I opted for the Roast Turkey & Ham and my partner, The Roast Beef. It being a Monday, I have no doubt in my mind that both my main and my partners was from the Sunday Lunch the day before. Both were inedible, cold, and tasteless, the veg was obviously frozen and the gravy bland and also cold. The potato was also horrific.

I have had some very poor offerings in my time in terms of food, but this experience in terms of the food quality was by far one of the worst.

We were paying by gift voucher and this is the one and only reason why we did not refuse to pay the bill, I barely touched mine as underneath my Turkey was grey.
I cannot believe that this hotel dared to present this quality of food to a paying guest, needless to say I will not be back.

Finally, one final note, the reception staff upon arrival and departure were very cold and unwelcoming, that sets the tone for what was to be one of the worst lunch experiences we have ever had!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank Robert78
Ballymena, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2011

very good weekend break everything went very well

Room Tip: rooms with even numbers have seaview
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Sligo, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2011

Just home after a two night stay ,we are a family of four our children are two and four...when we pulled up outside the hotel we didn't think too much of it and found the reception area and bar a bit old fashioned but spotlessly clean ..so we weren't expecting much from the room but we were pleasantly surprised..at the time of booking we were told that they only had double rooms left ( double and single bed) this room was very spacious and spotless as was the entire hotel and we had fab view from our room..the children's play area is the best I've sen and again it's spotless and all the toys are like new ...the pool is great too... We ate in the hotel both mornings and there was a huge choice we also ate one evening and it was very nice though menu a bit basic and old fashioned but tasted nice .....Most of The staff also were great with the kids..all in all fab hotel highly recommended for families can't wait to return

Room Tip: Ask for room with sea view :)
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Jinxy186635
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2011

We have been to this hotel 4 times before and didn't have any problems, but unfortunately we did have some issues this time.firstly when we arrived the car park at the hotel was full, apparently the ulster dancing championships were being held there. We had to pay 6 euros at a private car park and carry all our heavy luggage across the main road.When we reached the reception we had to wait on our room.many dancers were practising in the reception area, which wasn't good as they were blocking the stairs for older people to access. When we did get to our room on looking out of the window there was just a building and roof obstructing our view. We had 4 children with us and they were dissapointed to say the least.also there was no lock on the window. The children could easily have climbed up onto the bed and opens it.We did complain and they gave us 2 rooms, but they smelled of smoke and we were separated the rest of our stay.

• Stayed October 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buncrana
The Harbour Inn
#1 of 1 in Portnablagh
An Grianan Hotel
An Grianan Hotel
#1 of 1 in Burt

Been to Inishowen Gateway? Share your experiences!