“Very Economical, Great pool, jacuzzi”
Review of Inishowen Gateway

Inishowen Gateway
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Buncrana
Inishcrone, Ireland
“Very Economical, Great pool, jacuzzi”
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I came up to Buncrana to play the Ballyliffen Golf Courses. The hotel was very nice and I decided to stay on for 4 days. I had a beautiful view from my room. The pool was wonderful for doing laps and the jacuzzi had good water jets and was very relaxing after a rigourous day out on the links. Breakfast was very good and dinner were so so, appetizer were very good, the main course so so and desserts were excellent. All in all I had a lovely stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the water side!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
Ireland
Reviewed 8 October 2013

A first class hotel! Everything was excellent. I normally find some fault but I tried hard and could not find anything to complain about. I read all the reviews before I went. We spent 3 nights there and everything was perfect. Asked for a sea view room on arrival and got it no bother and NO extra charge. Would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone. Great location for touring Donegal county.

• Stayed October 2013
Scottish Borders
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We have just returned from a four night stayat the Inishowen Gateway Hotel - we were there as part of a coach party. Lovely room overlooking Lough Swilly and the golf course. Food was excellent. Because we were part of a coach party we had dinner a function room which was fine but we ate quite early (6.30) - because of this and our busy schedule we did not have time to take advantage of the leisure facilities which looked very impressive. The staff were lovely and always had time for a word no matter how busy they were. Entertainment in the bar on Thursday night (3rd Oct) was just great. All in all a great trip and if ever we are in the area again would love to stay at this hotel

Room Tip: If travelling independently pay the extra for a Lough facing view - spectacular
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Armagh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 October 2013

I visited Inishowen gateway for 2nights B & B plus one evening meal. our stay was delightful. yummy food, clean, welcoming and real value for money. thanks to the staff, one couldn't find better anywhere. felt sorry for them on Monday evening when we were having dinner. a man sitting behind us must have suffered with attention deficit disorder, he moaned loudly the whole time, everyone got it, the breakfast (which was yummy and what a choice), his family, the food, wine was just alright, he wanted a good bottle of wine, thought he was going for most expensive, chose the house wine. then he ordered the steak, I knew there would be something wrong with it and surely he laughed out loud and called the waitress, complained about the steak and knife he was using. when she came back to say they were doing him another steak he handed her a lump of steaks he had chewed and put it in a napkin. I was near sick , that waitress needs an award, she just smiled and took it of him. I felt like slappin him he was soooo rude to her.

just wanted to write this review to let everyone know everything about the hotel was excellent. it unfortunately for they getting the most horrible guests staying, as they say there is always one, which was the case on this occasion.

thanks to the staff there were so welcoming and helpful. Wonderful people.

Room Tip: rooms at back have lovely view of lough and mountains, very relaxing
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
BONNIE SCOTLAND
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I was slightly wary of staying here as I saw a few poor reviews. However, after staying there for 4 nights, it was an excellent hotel and first class value for money. I have stayed in a number of "standard" so called three star type hotels which are used by the likes of Coach Companies etc and this was head and shoulders above any of those I have stayed at so far. I organised my own break using their
"Golden Years" break which was terrific value. I was even more impressed to discover that, as a single traveller (and pensioner) nowadays, I wasn't charged ludicrous rates which are almost the same as for a couple. All their prices are simply quoted as "per person" so my cost was exactly half of that for a couple. Very unusual to find now and very much appreciated.

My room (family room to myself at no extra charge) was first class and well worth the small extra charge I paid for a room looking out to the sea. Shame it rained for virtually the whole 4 days I was there and there were gales most of the time as well. The sun came out on my way home - great timing!.

The breakfasts were excellent - buffet style with everything anyone could possibly want to choose from - both hot and cold. The four course dinners, whilst limited to the same small choice each night, were excellent with nicely presented meals. As a coffee lover, I was delighted that even the coffee was good - very unusual for most hotels now as it is usually undrinkable!. Virtually all the restaurant and bar staff, especially a couple of them, were really helpful and friendly and chatty - much appreciated when you are on your own.

After staying there, I do wonder when I read some of the poor reviews what some people are looking for in a hotel. I do not believe by any stretch of the imagination that my experiences over 4 full days could have been so vastly different to those suggested by some folk in their reviews. Obviously, a small difference in someone's opinion could result in one or perhaps even 2 stars of a difference in assessment, However, I think the people who allocate only one or two stars perhaps just like to be nasty and submit poor reviews, maybe due to some minor incident!. Maybe these folk should stick to a tent!. If these reviewers considered this hotel unsatisfactory, then they should stick to paying vast amounts of money for a fancier hotel and not expect outright luxury and pampering for the money this hotel charges.

I would have absolutely no hesitation in staying there again in the future.

Room Tip: The extra daily cost for a room on the sea view side of the building may be a bit expensive but it i...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank THEAULDFART
Ireland
Reviewed 22 September 2013

This hotel served as the venue for the recent ten-day event, Sew North, sponsored by the nearby Fennel Shed. Thanks to the attentive staff, the hotel's various amenities, and its location, Sew North was well received. Those who stayed at the hotel or who attended workshops in the Quilters' Arcade, or who joined in various evening activities, e.g., the Friday 13th quiz, enjoyed themselves thoroughly. The hotel gave itself over to the success of this annual Quilters' Gathering.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that looks out to Lough Swilly.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Enniskillen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2013

recently stayed for a two night break and were very impressed with check-in procedure, staff friendliness, cleanliness throughout the hotel and of course the food which was plentiful and excellent. This was our second visit and certainly not our last, would definitely recommend room with view over Lough Swilly, location excellent for scenic drives through this part of Donegal

Room Tip: ask for room with view over the lough
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buncrana
The Harbour Inn
#4 of 12 in Letterkenny
Shandon Hotel and Spa
Shandon Hotel and Spa
#1 of 1 in Portnablagh

Been to Inishowen Gateway? Share your experiences!