“Something special on a Sunday”

Inishowen Gateway Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Buncrana
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We stayed at the Inishowen Gateway on Sunday 19th January for one night. We got a deal on the hotel's website for DBB for £33 each. This hotel is only 18 miles from our home and we have passed it many times but never stayed. As we just wanted to chill for a night it suited us to go somewhere within a half hour drive. We were welcomed warmly and given a room overlooking the golf course and lough swilly. There was a king size bed and a single in the room. We enjoyed an early evening drink in the bar and then relaxed for a few hours before enjoying a delicious four course meal served in the bar. The restaurant doesn't appear to open on a Sunday night but the bar is really nice and if you get a table near the window so much the better. We really couldn't fault the food, a sirloin steak was cooked medium as requested and the salmon was delicious. The staff were pleasant and helpful and appeared relaxed and unhurried. We enjoyed a good nights rest in a comfortable bed with the best pillows we've ever experienced in a hotel. Next morning breakfast was served in the restaurant and offered fresh fruit, cereals, hams, cheeses and various breads and pastries as well as a very well executed full Irish. We lingered at our table,marvelled at the bright, sunny
January morning and wished we had more time to enjoy the view to Rathmullan and inch island. We consoled ourselves by agreeing to return again very soon for another lazy Sunday. At £66 for two this is the best value overnight stay in the north west of Ireland.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank emeraldgirl_13
Guest_Relations_Mang, Manager at Inishowen Gateway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review after you recent stay with us. I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your brief time with us and found it so relaxing.
Your kind comments on our bedrooms are much appreciated, we pride ourselves with a reputation for high standards of housekeeping and comfort, and it is great to hear that this has been experienced by you.
Many thanks also for your positive feedback regarding both your four course meal you received in the bar and the wide variety of our breakfast selection. We endeavour to try and use fresh local produce when possible so I am delighted to hear that it was delicious.

I appreciate your kind words regarding our staff as they take every effort to make our guests stay an enjoyable and memorable one.
On behalf of everybody here, thank you once again for your wonderful feedback which I have shared with the entire team.

I do hope we have the privilege of welcoming you back again in the future.

Kind Regards
Siobhan Devine

Reviewed 19 January 2014

Just stayed on a Saturday night stop over and found this to be a great find. Staff all very friendly and rooms very nice, with the option to control your own room temperature. Price of food and drinks was competitive and the choice was good. Views from the breakfast room where great over lough Swilly. Shall stop again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BIGREDAGAIN
Guest_Relations_Mang, Manager at Inishowen Gateway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Inishowen Gateway Hotel recently and thank you for your lovely comments regarding our accommodation and staff during your stay. We constantly get great reviews regarding our staff throughout the hotel so again we are delighted to hear your positive comments. We are blessed to be situated in such an ideal location overlooking the Lough Swilly ideal for relaxing and just switching off from the rest of the world over a meal.
It would be a pleasure to welcome you back again soon. Kind regards Siobhan Devine

Reviewed 15 January 2014

I stayed in the Inishowen Gateway last night having just returned from two weeks of five star hotels in India for Christmas. I rang the night before and was offered an unbelievably cheap price for a corporate room. Not expecting much, I showed up on a wet and windy night and the hotel was quiet. The warm welcome from the pleasant receptionist set a lovely tone and I headed to my room which again was pleasantly surprising - clean and spacious with great wifi. The view was totally black but I could make out the sea barely as the lifeboat was doing night training. Off for a swim in their very nice pool and leisure centre and then dinner served in the room. Food was nice but the staff again delivering had a really pleasant manner. When I woke this morning, the view of Loch Swilly was stunning even in the grey rain and I had an excellent breakfast of poached eggs and smoked salmon with freshly baked croissants, again with a fab view of the Loch from the restaurant. Another pleasant receptionist checked me out and I paid my unbelievably cheap bill - my cheapest ever corporate stay ever! I have never stayed any further north than Letterkenny but the warmth of this hotel means I will go the extra distance next time and will definitely pencil a visit in for during the summer in tourist mode as the local scenery and beaches are fantastic. Highly recommend this hotel which probably deserves a fourth star and I am not related to the owner!

Room Tip: Sea view definitely!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank eurodc
g_teway14, Manager at Inishowen Gateway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

Thank you for choosing to stay here in the Inishowen Gateway Hotel recently and thank you for taking the time and effort to share your views on Tripadvisor. I am delighted that you had such a lovely time with us. Your positive feedback is most welcome, particularly regarding the quality of the hotel bedrooms, the excellent food and the friendly and helpful team. The team are so devoted when it comes to delivering top class service to all guests.
The views from the hotel are phenomenal as we are so fortunate to be situated along the Lough Swilly .
As a popular conference destination, we provide excellent rates and amenities for our corporate clients
Thank you again and we all look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Regards Siobhan Devine

Reviewed 5 January 2014

My wife and I were married in the gateway on 12/12/13. I can not find the words to express how perfectly everything went. We were treated like royalty and every guest5 said it was the best wedding they were ever at. Food-drinks-service was exceptional. First class from Donegals gem.
Many thanks
Mr & Mrs Sheehan

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Tonysheehan
g_teway14, Front Office Manager at Inishowen Gateway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Thank you for your wonderful feedback and indeed for choosing the Inishowen Gateway Hotel to host your wedding reception. I am delighted that you and your family and friends had such a wonderful time with us and to read it was the best wedding they ever attended.

A very special day for you on your wedding day is most definitely a very special day for all on the team here in the Inishowen Gateway Hotel. We really enjoy doing that little bit extra and going that extra mile to make it such a special occasion.
Your positive feedback is most welcome and I have shared it with all on the team. We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back again in the future and until then, sincere regards and wishing you a happy and prosperous New Year. Siobhan Devine

Reviewed 3 January 2014

Great hotel with excellent facilities. Family friendly and beautiful view from the restaurant. My grandchildren had a wonderful time with Santa and Mrs Claus. I went with my daughter and my three beautiful grandchildren who had a fantastic overnight stay. Santa's presents were excellent, staff friendly and good value for money.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jetsetter1963
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

We took our grandchild to see santa, it was very good. Very well done. Staff brill, couldnt have been looked after better. Our grandchild is disabled they were great with her, i thought it was lovely when mrs clause asked for her to be seen first by santa, he was brilliant with her..well done everyone. Breakfast was very busy with people queing to get in but hotel coped well

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Brought my kids aged 1&3 to santas kingdom, was really good, the kids loved it & loved staying in the hotel, even the camp bed in the room brought amazement to my 3 yr old she thought it was the elves. Carvery was brilliant & the staff couldn't do enough. Will def go back next Christmas!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buncrana
The Harbour Inn
Radisson Blu Hotel, Letterkenny
An Grianan Hotel
An Grianan Hotel
#1 of 1 in Burt

Been to Inishowen Gateway Hotel? Share your experiences!