“Great value holiday for families”
Review of Inishowen Gateway

Inishowen Gateway
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Buncrana
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Stayed at this holiday last summer and enjoyed it so much returned this year with my sister and our families. Glad to say if fully met my expectations. Excellent value, nice clean rooms, great food and service and the kids and myself loved the pool. Keep up the good work.

Room Tip: The lough view rooms are lovely and for larger families the larger family rooms had 1 double and 2 s...
1  Thank gordonlync
Guest_Relations_Mang, Guest Relations Manager at Inishowen Gateway, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear gordonlync
Thank you for your wonderful review of our hotel. We were delighted to welcome you back for another visit this year. Our team here in the Inishowen Gateway Hotel works hard to ensure our guests are well looked after and have everything they need to enjoy a well earned break away. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to us in the near future,

There are newer reviews for Inishowen Gateway

Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

just back after a three day stay. staff were great. we arrived a day early by our own mistake and reception staff accomodated us with no fuss. bedrooms were fantastic and our 2 kids loved the camp beds lol. both breakfast and dinner were delicious and the hotel was spotless. We would definately visit again.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank l_russell1979

Dear l_russell1979
Thank you for taking the time to submit your recent review of our hotel. We are delighted you all enjoyed your stay with us, it was a pleasure to look after you all.
Should you wish to return to us in the near future then please let me know. Don't forget we turn our Planet Active Kids Club into Santa's Kingdom on the 28th November for 4 weeks which offers children a magical journey through Santa's Village, the elves toy factory and Mrs Claus baking cookies.
We would love to look after you all again.

Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

If you want to centre your break away around your children with a little time to yourself, then this is the place.

The Planet Active kids club is fantastic my kids aged 6 & 9 had a great time. The play leaders are brilliant. Lovely, friendly girls & the kids really take to them. Facilities are quite basic, but provides everything needed to keep the children entertained.

The hotel rooms are clean & comfortable and the leisure facilities are great - the pool is a great size. Changing facilities are ok.

The only negative I have about the hotel is that I found that the evening meals in the Loughview Bar were at best, adequate. I had 3 different dishes & desserts and I was not impressed by any of them. Awful chips, over cooked Salmon, champ with no scallions, grisly sirloin, deep fried sautéed potatoes...... I needn't go on.

All the staff in the hotel are helpful & friendly, but service in the bar for dinner was just about ok. Cutlery was kind of thrown on the table for you to set yourself and it took over an hour to get a family of 4 through a very basic 2 courses.
I would visit again. The location is great, the view is beautiful and my children had the absolute time of their lives.... I'd probably just rethink my dinner options.

Stayed: August 2014

Dear Jullop

Thank you for submitting your recent review. We are delighted you all enjoyed your stay with us, especially the kids Club which we added onto this year with our nightly entertainment between a disco, quiz night or talent show followed by movie. Our family fun hours in the pool are also a new addition allowing kids time to play with various water toys. I am sorry to hear you were not impressed by our choice of menu and service during evening meal. It is valuable feedback to us so we can improve our service and product offering.
Should you wish to return to us in the near future then please contact myself directly as I am confident you will find any negative issues raised here addressed.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

This hotel was abit disappointing really. Staff were very friendly but I'm not sure how they called a very lumpy and uncomfortable camp bed added in the room, a family room. I didn't find it that clean, the shower curtain was pink with mold all along the bottom and the bathroom smelt of pee...... yuk!

The restaurant wasn't much better with the previous nights food still on the floor, cold over cooked food served up on chipped crockery! They must not be aware of the very nasty bugs that grow in chipped crockery and didn't appeare too concerned about it. For all the same reasons I definitely wouldn't recommend the bar downstairs. I'm not the worlds best cook but the menu sounded so nice compared with the cook to death veg and undercooked chips and I don't know how to describe the mash potato, my children are good eaters but they couldn't stomach it. It really was terrible food. Eat out would be my advise!

That said that we enjoyed the swimming pool very much but we won't be going back.

Room Tip: I think we were probably very unfortunate but there were very drunk, singing and swairing people in...
1  Thank crookies2014

Dear crookies2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of your recent stay with us. We are very disappointed that you did not enjoy your visit but please let me assure you that all your comments noted here will be addressed. We have never before received complaints about our bathrooms being dirty or broken crockery being used but we do take these issues very seriously and they will be dealt with.
Should you wish to contact me directly in order for me to get more detail from your stay then please email me directly on sales@inishowengateway.com.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

This is an excellent hotel for our bus trip types,very central for 'Derry,Giants causeway,Letterkenny,Marlin head.
The Hotel itself is very comfortable,the rooms are excellent,large soft beds,plenty of room,big bathroom,1 drawback they have shower curtains as we all know wrap about you as you move.
Breakfast..best in a long time..buffet,every thing hot apart from the fresh juice..we were on half board,the evening meal couldnt be faulted as there was plenty of choice served hot although this is the first time i have has mashed potato with pasta which were both very good.
If you want to see the Northern part of Souther Ireland this makes and ideal base.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank annoyed13
Guest_Relations_Mang, Guest Relations Manager at Inishowen Gateway, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear annoyed13
Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. We are delighted you all enjoyed your time here in the Inishowen Gateway Hotel. We are in the ideal location to base yourself for a tour of Donegal with so many wonderful day trips available and activities in Buncrana and Inishowen alone. We are also only a 15 minute drive from Derry City and 30 minutes from letterkenny.

We look forward to welcoming you all the The Inishowen Gateway Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Spent two nights at the Inishowen Gateway Hotel and had a very relaxing, enjoyable stay. Staff very friendly, room clean and comfortable with good ensuite. The hotel has a great swimming pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi which I would recommend. We got a good last minute deal for bed and breakfast with one evening meal which was very good value. There was plenty of choice for breakfast - cooked, fruit, cereal, yoghurt, croissants etc and in the evening you could either go for the inclusive meal or pay the difference and choose freely from the restaurant menu. This hotel was beautifully situated overlooking the Lough and, if you are into golf, ideal as the golf course is in front. Beautiful surrounding countryside to explore.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Marie F
Thank you for your review of our hotel, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. Please let us know when are visiting again by contacting myself directly or our reservations team.

We look forward to welcoming you both back here in the near future,

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Just back from a 3 night stay at the Innishowen Gateway. Had a lovely time and it was very reasonable on a 3 night bed breakfast and evening meal deal. The pool was fantastic and a couple of times we had it to ourselves which was heavenly. Planet Active is a bit worn but what play area isn't and I suppose it shows that it gets plenty of use and our kids did enjoy it. This is a great hotel for basing yourself to tour north Donegal. Our room had a beautiful view of Lough Swilly and Lisfannon beach, a golf course being the only thing that separated us from them. The only complaint I would have is the very limited choice of menu in the bar when on the package deal. The food was lovely but just not much selection. Also the service was very slow every night we were present. The last night was the worst, we waited an hour and a half for salmon and a gateway burger. This was with a 4.5yr old and a 20 month old. The waiting staff were lovely and very apologetic and kindly went in search of the kids meals for us so that they didn't have to wait as long. But boredom was setting in for the toddler! Apart from this we had a lovely stay and I would recommend to others but I would like to see a change where food choices and service are concerned.

Room Tip: Ask for a seaview Check what sort of meal package you are on

Dear DiMorrow

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and take on board your comments regarding your menu choices each night. I apologise for the slow service you encountered during meal service in the Bar. We do try and encourage families to dine earlier in the evening when it is not so busy so that hungry children can be fed quicker but we understand if this is not possible. We appreciate the feedback provided and hope to welcome your family back to our hotel in the near future. Please contact myself or our reservations team directly for your next visit and we can discuss all available packages with you to ensure you book the one best situated to your family needs.

Joleene

Also consider these accommodations in or near Buncrana
The Harbour Inn
Downings Bay Hotel
Downings Bay Hotel
#3 of 3 in Downings
Radisson Blu Hotel, Letterkenny

Been to Inishowen Gateway? Share your experiences!