“Fig tree is not to be visited”
Review of Dromoland Castle

Dromoland Castle
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Galway, Ireland
“Fig tree is not to be visited”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Went for Sunday lunch with my sisters family and my own (4 kids, 4 adults). The service was very poor - took them ages to take our order, even longer to serve, and we were going to have dessert, but no-one arrived to take our order.
The food itself was fine, distinctly average is the best I could give it.
And the cost? Crikey - kids meals for a tenner?! Give me a break, two crappy sausages and a bit of mash - probably costs 65c to put together.
Utterly unmemorable, except for all the wrong reasons...

• Visited July 2014
5 Thank chillery

Limerick, Ireland
“Mrs White's Afternoon Tea”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I visited Dromoland about two weeks ago as I was passing through the area. Myself and my friend just wanted some tea and dessert as we had already eaten earlier.
We were pleasantly surprised to be handed a menu, "Mrs.White's Afternoon Tea" I believe was the name of it, which had exactly what we were looking for.
We couldn't decide what to order as everything on the menu was mouthwatering. We asked our waiter what he would recommend, taking his advice we ordered some scones along with our coffee's. I cannot stress enough how helpful and friendly our waiter was. I feel guilty for not asking his name as I would like to give him credit for his service. I will 100% be returning again.

We then went for a walk around the castle and decided to enquiry about a weekends stay. As I was walking up to speak to a young girl on reception I felt as if I was being looked down upon. We were the only people in reception and the girl was very dismissive. She offered no advice or suggestions for our stay. Instead she handed me a leaflet and told me to ring reservations and that was all.
I would expect a more outgoing and polite receptionist for a five star hotel.

• Visited June 2014
3 Thank Niamh S
Dublin, Ireland
“Afternoon Tea”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

My second visit to Dromoland for Afternoon tea was as good as the first. The kitchen staff have updated the Afternoon Tea selection. The classic Ham Cheese and Chutney remains as does the egg, salmon on dromoland brown bread plus a crab sandwich which I don't recall from my first visit have been added. The scones and cakes are freshly prepared and really great. Every five star hotel in Ireland offer afternoon tea now, but there is a quality and style that is required to successfully pull it off. Dromoland is a true five star experience, the service, the staffing level, the ambience and the old world style at Dromoland are all part and parcel of this experience. Our waiter explained the three tier presentation, explaining the new variations, pointing out also the cake with edible silver(mistaken by some guests as a kitchen gaffe). We sat in the long hallway near the bar, it is quiet there but with a nice atmosphere as you can see the comings and goings of other guests. At one stage a rather loud group appeared but were politely moved into an adjoining salon by an attentive member of the staff. It is necessary to book in advance.
Great experience, looking forward to my next visit. I have included some photos I actually took on my initial visit last August.

• Visited May 2014
3 Thank PatrickIrl
Dublin, Ireland
“Afternoon Tea in Dromoland Castle”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Recently my daughters and I had Afternoon Tea in Dromoland Castle We had never been to Dromoland and so we were really looking forward to the experience. The grounds were beautiful and the hotel reception was very impressive. However the 'Afternoon Tea' was dissapointing. Firstly, we were only offered regular tea with no mention of different varieties which we were expecting. Although the sandwiches and cakes were lovely, the portions were quite small for four people. In addition the service was not that of a 5 star establishment. We were not offered more tea or coffee and we had to ask for more milk and more coffee. The waiting staff never approached us to ask if 'everything was OK or if we would like more tea or coffee. Overall we were not impressed.

• Visited May 2014
5 Thank 301Tessa
Ancaster, Canada
“What a feel”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Beautiful place. Great Golf course. Dinner was great as was the breakfast menu. Nice whisky bar that didn't hurt either. Staff were helpful. Used the swimming pool which was lovely.

Visited May 2014