“Excellent accommodations, but we left with mixed feelings” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cahergal Farmhouse

Cahergal Farmhouse
Quincy, Massachusetts
“Excellent accommodations, but we left with mixed feelings”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2008

We stayed here for 4 nights during a week-long trip to Ireland. First let me say that I've never stayed at a B&B abroad before (only in the States), so perhaps my expectations were unreasonably high...

Here's the upside. The house is impeccably clean, the rooms large, the beds comfortable. The bathrooms are clean and spacious (but don't expect shampoos, extra towels, etc...). The staff are pleasant, the property beautiful, the breakfast yummy (the scones, bread, and eggs are great).

Here's the downside. The breakfast is great, but it's made-to-order and the staff take a while to realize you're in the breakfast room. If, as a tourist, you are on a schedule in the morning, you might end up eating mostly scones and bread like we did. Also, you should know that there is no internet or phone access. Maybe this is standard for a B&B, but it stunk that there was no land line from which to use our calling card and no option for internet.

When we were planning our trip, I gathered from Cahergal's website that the staff would show us where to walk around the farm, offer us use of the tennis courts, or ask us if we wanted to go horseback riding (for a fee, obviously). Not the case. Because we weren't sure where we were allowed to walk and no one from the staff was around much, we didn't explore the farm at all.

Lastly, I accidentally broke a mirror in our room - I tripped over a suitcase and hit an armoire, and the mirror hanging inside it fell out. I was asked to pay 50 euro to replace it, which rubbed me the wrong way (it wasn't a piece of heirloom furniture, and I didn't expect a nice, established B&B to make us pay the entire cost for something like that). In addition, the staff made me feel terrible about the mirror and questioned whether I'd been drinking when I broke it, which was ridiculous (it happened at around 3pm) and unnecessary. If I'd hurt myself when I broke the mirror (which I was about an inch away from doing), I doubt they would have acted like we were a couple of irresponsible kids.

Overall, the accommodations were everything we wanted, but we left there with an odd vibe. I think our experience was an abnormal one, though.

3 Thank Daisymatic

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newmarket-on-Fergus
The Inn at Dromoland
Bunratty Castle Hotel
Bunratty Castle Hotel
#2 of 2 in Bunratty
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,347 reviews

Been to Cahergal Farmhouse? Share your experiences!