“Beautiful but impersonal”
Review of Dromoland Castle

Dromoland Castle
More attraction details
Owner description: Transformed into a luxury hotel in 1962, this castle is a magnificent Renaissance structure built in the 16th century and once served as the royal seat of the O?Brien clan.
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Beautiful but impersonal”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

My husband & I renewed our wedding vows for our 25th anniversary at Dromoland this past June. Working via e-mail to set up a place to do so was a long process. We did not stay at the castle over night, just wanted a quiet romantic spot to say a few words & exchange new rings, than have a nice dinner. The cost for the use of the garden was 350 Euros for 15 minutes.

When we got there, a nice young man pointed us to the garden (didn't take us there). We were on our own to find a nice corner. It was not private - others were walking through and attending the adjoined cafe. Our cost didn't get us an officient, pictures or any personal touch from the staff during our self-created renewal. When we were done we found our way to the restaurant inside the castle where a nice staff member was kind enough to take 4 pictures out front with our own camera.

We were then directed to the lounge for a drink (also not included in the cost). When we felt ready, we found our own way to the dining room where we got an average seat and same treatment as all other guests. Silly me to think since we'd paid to have a "wedding" there (staff quote: "We treat all weddings the same whether it is 2 or 200 people," that we'd get priority seating, a piece cake for dessert, or such. The food was good, but with no air on a very warm day, we sweated in the sunny window through all of dinner (which we paid additional for as well.)

A lovely enough place, but no one went out of their way to help make it any more special than we had. Maybe my expectations were too high.

1 Thank Tracy D

ireland
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“dromoland delight”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

had a nice walk around the grounds lovely...also met a woman out training a bird :) walked through the castle (free)

Visited July 2014
San Marcos, TX
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Elegance like I have never experienced”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I had always wanted to stay at Dromoland since I knew that Pierce Brosnan had gotten married there. My friends and I were amazed at the beauty of the place and I would have been happy if we could have extended our stay. The service was impeccable, the food was delicious, the activities were outstanding and the entire staff was attentive to us the whole time we were there. I want to go back and take my husband.

Visited September 2013
Clinton, Ohio
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Dromoland Castle”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Too much money for what we got. Couldn't even eat at the hotel restaurant (which was also very expensive) without dressing up. Then we went to the golf course restaurant which was advertised as less formal - still had a dress code that we weren't prepared for - especially with a toddler. Loved the activities you can do there, but be prepared to pay for those, too.

Kingston, PA, USA
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Everything You Could Wish For”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

A historic castle, set on grand grounds with golf, horse drawn cart rides, walking trails, lavish gardens, full afternoon tea, immaculate rooms, attentive staff, and opulent dining. There is no higher recommendation.