“Will become a yearly visit”

Dromoland Castle Hotel
Reviewed 2 May 2013 via mobile

I am in love. With the grounds the history the food the staff. Take the tram & carriage the young man who runs it loves his history and does an incredible job! The dinner in the main dining room floored me. We travel around the world have eaten at some incredible places but the dinner here made me not want to never stop tasting.

• Stayed: April 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (3,601)

Reviewed 30 April 2013

This is by far the best hotel we have ever stayed in. We had a complimentary upgrade to a deluxe room, which was the highest tower room (502) which is stunning and has amazing views over the lake. Upon arrival all the staff were very friendly and the butler carried our cases up to the room immediately and showed us in. The room was immaculate and very welcoming and even better than we expected. We had our evening meal in the Earl of Thomond - we both had the pork belly for starters (by far the best pork I've ever had), sorbet and steak all of which were amazing. The puddings were also lovely. They have an excellent wine selection as well. All the restaurant staff provided excellent service and we didn't have any issues or could fault them at all. The grounds are lovely to walk around however I think the only let down was the leisure facilities as they just didn't have the same outstanding feel as the rest of the castle however same again very clean. Our only issue was the slight concern that we weren't the only guests in the room that night - one of my pearl earrings was missing upon arrival (no way it could have fallen out of the jewellery box) we searched all over the floor just in case (as you do!) but it wasn't there. After dinner, we tried to take some photos and as I was walking across the room I felt something touch / position my back and for some reason I looked down at the floor - my earring was there. Obviously I was slightly unnerved at this point however my boyfriend didn't seem fazed by this at all until the net curtain fully opened by itself (window closed no draft at all) and at this point he was ready to have me driving all the way back to Dublin! Although we were slightly scared after that, it wasn't a bad feeling in the room and just added to the experience. Would love to go again and hope to be back soon.

Room Tip: 502 - please see pics :)
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 April 2013

We returned to Ireland for a family visit and spent two nights at Dromoland Castle - what can I say - it was unbelievable. Stayed in a State Room and now know what it feels like to be treated like Royalty. The Castle is magnificent and our room was spectacular overlooking the lake. The staff were warm and friendly and the food great. Made great use of the facilities, gym, sauna, spa, hot tub. Cycled around the grounds, fed the ducks, walked thru the woods. The attention to detail was excellent. Ate both nights in the Castle - food and service was excellent. Cannot fault it, will definitely be back. Highly recommend it. If you want to be spoilt and feel a million dollars - DO IT - you will not be disappointed. Patricia & Paul, Sydney, Australia

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Just spent a fab weekend in Dromoland - the staff , food and venue were superb. The hotel has a real old world charm about it - the staff are warm, friendly and very knowledgeable. Dinner was fab the food and selection available were excellent. The rooms are in keeping with the general atmosphere of the hotel - the bathrooms are modern and well laid out - the shower is simply fab!
I would highly recommend the hotel for a romantic weekend away or a group of friends catching up.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake side view
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 April 2013

What a spectacular property. Stayed here 1 night as part of a fly/drive/stay package, mid-week and off season, so value for the price was stellar. Would consider as a destination hotel, great for couples or small groups - the place overall more than delivers, even at 5 star prices. The rooms, furnishings and art are, indeed, palatial. The architecture and history of the place is fascinating, the grounds well manicured and quite stunning. The staff is formal, informative and very warm. After a few nights in small B&Bs, the luxury was a quite welcome break. Our very large and elegant room was on the lower end of the Dromoland spectrum. Still - a dream. An incredibly large marble bath with deep tub and quality toiletries, an expansive and cushy bed, fine linens and furniture, high end tv/entertainment system, cloud-beneath-your-toes carpet, a window overlooking a lovely little courtyard, impeccable room service. No fault to be found. The dining options spanned golf club casual to the multi-course 5 star fine dining experience you would expect. 'Pub' type offerings are available in the bar or formal halls and drawing rooms - with enormous fireplaces and crackling fires, scattered with comfy chairs, tables and conversation nooks. Delightful. Food - truly gourmet in quality, variety of offerings (both traditional and innovative) and presentation; met or exceeded expectations. Staff was very knowledgeable. If any criticism at all, it would have to do with check-in. The tuxedoed gentleman (title... butler?) who greeted us upon arrival was somewhat amusing in his dizzyingly quick-fire delivery of information regarding hotel amenities, activities and dining. However, with no one else waiting for check-in, it felt a bit of a bum's rush. We tried asking about upgrades;( a night in this gem of a castle's higher tier rooms might well be worth the (likely quite high) additional price). We were shut down practically mid-sentence, with the assertion that we had already been upgraded to a luxury room at no charge. Then we were bustled down a hall to the pre-assigned room - which was lovely. But still. After a long day's drive and just a short stay ahead, I let it go. I am aware that having acquired the accomodation via a mid-week, off season package deal, we may indeed be seen as the less desirable clientele that fills the low periods. A true 5 star experience would dictate that no guest ever be made to feel as if that were the case. That said, all else was perfect. Every other staff member we encountered was exceedingly well trained and helpful. My husband and I agreed that we would hire any one of them in a heartbeat. One suggestion: the 'pub' type offerings are listed as snacks, yet they are full meal portions. We had intended an early snack followed by a late dinner. Our (truly delicious) snack selections ended up being our meal - no room for the full gourmet dinner! Advice would be to shrink the portions or list them as casual meals. A tip to guests: if you have only a one night stay, get there early to fully explore the property and experience the offerings. I heard from other guests that the spa is wonderful, and the falconry experience is a worthwhile and unique treat. If we were to return, we would shoot for a stay of at least three days.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jjbryce
Reviewed 24 April 2013

If You are making a trip to Ireland, I would truly recommend spending @ least one night in the Dromoland Castle. It is an experience of a life time. You are treated like Royalty, and the accomodations are fabulous. We ate dinner at the castle and were very impressed with the quality of the food and service. Even though it is a bit pricey, it is worth every penny (euro). You only live once and why not splurge every now and then. The breakfast was out of this world, and more food than you can even imagine.We stayed in the updated part of the castle and the rooms were very spacious and comfortable. The bathroom was sooooo beautiful and inviting. The beds were very comfortable and the pillows soft and fluffy. The grounds are very beautiful and peaceful. You must take a stroll into the walled garden area. You will feel like you just walked into a story book.There are many activities offered, but alas, we did not have time to do any. If I ever get back to Ireland, I will certainly spend some more time at the Dromland Fairy Tale Castle.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 April 2013

We stayed at Dromoland in march. Weather was very cold, but the hotel was warm and inviting, so much so that we felt more like it was our home. Fireplaces were lit, the main hall and the reception area outside the 'library' had a smoky scent. The library turned bar was very nice,we spent alot of time (and money,beers were around $10 and cocktails $11) there as this hotel is quite rural, there is no alternative places to go eat or drink within 20 min of it. Food was very good, but expensive too. Afternoon tea is a must, however I did the smaller 'lite' version $14 and it was plenty. The rooms are huge and lovely. We got the suite in the tower! If you don't mind stairs, it's worth the climb. There were only two small flights of spiral stairs. Bathrooms were clean, bed in our room was just right, we got to see our friends room, they had two double beds, and their bathroom seemed more updated as well as their decor was modern. The hotel offers many activities to do, we chose falconry, this is a must! We did the 'hawk walk' and it was great, our guide was friendly and knowledgeable and encouraged us to participate. We rode bikes around the grounds (no cost) The first morning we woke up and wondered around the hotel, we truely felt like the place was ours. (I was living in my own Downton Abbey) there were hotel staff fluffing pillows, setting up breakfast, lighting fires... I didnt make it to the spa, never had the time. If I ever have the opportunity to go back, I certainly will!

Room Tip: Tower rooms and in that section of hotel do seem older than the rooms across the driveway.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rachel A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newmarket-on-Fergus
The Inn at Dromoland
Limerick Strand Hotel
Limerick Strand Hotel
#3 of 20 in Limerick
No. 1 Pery Square Hotel & Spa

Been to Dromoland Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!