“Why wasn't it given 5 stars?”

and 1 more site!
Dromoland Castle Hotel
Manchester, England
“Why wasn't it given 5 stars?”
Reviewed 1 February 2014

The location, and the castle and the rooms and the staff are deserve 5 stars or more. Where does it lack, quality and cost of the some of the food from the gallery menu. fish and chips fantastic, seafood chowder great - chicken ceasar salad, risotto, minute steak, all at the very best three stars given that they were about 20 euros. Spirits and cocktails at the bar somewhat overpriced, given that they are basic and not well presented. Most of the breakfast menu is great, but then a few things let it down These are very minor points, but I'd go back, and just pick food a little more carefully with hindsight.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank petesloth
Mark_Nolan_GM, General Manager at Dromoland Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Dear Petesloth

Thank you for your review which were were all disapopinted to read. I am very sorry that you felt some of the menu items on our casual Gallery menu to be lacking and our cocktail menu overpriced and not up to stardard. I have taken your comments on board and will discuss each point with our managment team and head chef.

Obviously, we are very glad that you would choose to stay with us agian and enjoyed all other aspects of your stay.

Mark Nolan - General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
  • Slovak first
Skerries, Ireland
Reviewed 31 January 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights at the end of January. The entrance to the hotel with a magnificent sweeping driveway around lake and up to the castle is a wonderful introduction. Checking in was seamless. Our room was in the old part of the castle with a panoramic view out over the lake. It was about 30 percent larger than your standard hotel room and we really enjoyed the extra space. I was surprised not find any tea or coffee tray in the room, but the porter informed me that they would provide it at no charge on request . My wife loves her coffee, so we immediately requested the tray which was promptly sent up. The bathroom was of average size but well laid out and tastefully decorated. The only other minor disappointment in the room was that the "Bose" sound system was not working. The free WiFi reception in the room was good. The TV was a bit complicated and fiddly, but had a very good selection of channels. The card and chocolates in the room were a very nice touch. We headed over to the leisure complex, (about a 5 minute walk or they will transport you over on request) and my wife enjoyed a work out in the well equipped gym. I chose a swim in the pool and a jacuzzi bath. Breakfast is a grand "silver service" affair in the oppulant "Earl of Thomand" dining room with a view out over the lake. There is lots of choice and the food is top class, but the one thing that irked me was why for a breakfast costing 25 euro each plus service charge did the hotel feel the need to put a 3 euro supplement on 2 breakfast dishes that had smoked salmon. After a very hearty breakfast, we enjoyed a lovely walk exploring some of the over 300 hundred acre gardens, woods and golf course. We were still so full after breakfast that we could not face lunch. So my wife chose to have a 90 minute spa treatment which she really enjoyed. I had brought a fishing rod with me and took one of the rowboats out onto the lake which was to my delight free of charge and a very pleasant way to spend 90 minutes. I even caught 2 large rainbow trout. I would have loved to try the hawk flying experience for 75 euro but did not have the time. All The hotel activities taken together are really like a mini theme park for adults. We were impressed by the professional and friendly service from all the staff. They really try hard to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. Dromoland Castle is truely of the great Irish Hotels to stay in. It is probably the closest thing you will experience to being a "Lord of the Manor".

Room Tip: Upgrade to a deluxe room for that extra special treat.
5 Thank seawindmill
Mark_Nolan_GM, General Manager at Dromoland Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Dear Seawindmill,

Thank you for your comprehensive review of your recent stay with us. I hope that we were alerted and were able to fix the Bose system in your room during your stay. I have also noted your comments with regard to an added supplement for some of the breakfast a la carte menu options and will discuss same with my managment team.

I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to visit in the future. Thank you for choosing Dromoland Castle

Everett, Washington
Reviewed 30 January 2014

My girlfriend and her brother stayed here for my first overseas trip on our first night in Ireland, and it was an absolute delight. From the moment we drove up we were welcomed and made to feel special.

The service was amazing, the rooms were delightful. We were even able to get them to update the name on the TV to a unique combo of ours.

My girlfriend and I had a fantastic time at high tea, though I was glad we split 1 order, because the tray was filled with much more food than both of us combined was ready to eat.

The pool was nice and relaxing, with quick cart service both ways to accommodate out schedule.

Two of us did the hawk walk and it was an absolute delight. Very fun and informative, it was a unique experience to have the hawk travel around and often on us.

Trap shooting was also well enjoyed by my girlfriend, as her first time ever doing it.

The castle grounds were extremely well maintained and quite beautiful. The entire experience was just remarkable and the best possible way to introduce us to Ireland.

Also, be sure to pick up a Dromoland bear. We named ours Patches.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Mark D
Mark_Nolan_GM, General Manager at Dromoland Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Dear Mark D

Thank you for your wonderful feedback on your recent stay with us, we are thrilled you chose Dromoland as your first stop in Ireland! I hope we managed to accommodate you with an early check in if you came in on one the early morning flights from the US direct to Shannon Airport.

I hope you enjoyed your visit to Ireland and indeed hope we have the pleasure in welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed 27 January 2014

The castle is amazing. Diedra, the front desk supervisor was a huge help. She gave us a tour of the presidential suites and was extremely helpful!!! Very peaceful and quite place. We are staying here 3 nights and wish we could stay another 3!!!

3 Thank Nick S
Dear NickS

Thank you for your feedback and of course choosing to stay with us here at Dromoland Castle. I will be sure to pass your comments to Deirdre and the entire team.

I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to visit us on your next visit to Ireland.

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Well what can i say, this hotel and its facilities was amazing. Went there for a small honeymoon break and on arrival the staff were very pleasant and we were immediately upgraded to a deluxe room.There was a lovely card and box of chocolates waiting on our arrival to congradulate us on our recent wedding. The food and service was out of this world and the whole experience was fantastic. Loads to do here too with a pool and spa treatments as well as outdoor amenities. I would go every weekend if i could.

3 Thank Kevin C
Dear Kevin C

Thank you for choosing to stay with us for the very special occassion of your honeymoon. We are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and you hopefully have long lasting memories of this special time.

Of course we are thrilled to hear that you would visit us every weekend, if that is not possible I hope we see you back here to celebrate your wedding anniversaries!

Best wishes from myself and all the team at Dromoland
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed 25 January 2014

We stopped here for only a night on our trip through Ireland and loved this hotel. Our room was very pretty and as others have mentioned the water pressure in the shower was amazing! The Castle itself is very charming and it was fun to walk around and explore. We did not get a chance to visit the Spa or play golf but wish we had had time to do so as both looked amazing. The grounds were spectacular and we loved our walk around the property. We had drinks before dinner in the Gallery bar which was upscale but also cozy and inviting. Overall, we would highly recommend stopping here on your trip to Ireland!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Charlotte H
Mark_Nolan_GM, General Manager at Dromoland Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Dear CharlotteH

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback after your recent stay with us, we appreciate your comments and indeed your recommendation.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to visit for longer next time!

Mayo
Reviewed 25 January 2014

I spent a weekend at Dromoland Castle for a special occasion recently. To say it was worth the wait (all my life!) is an understatement! From the moment my pinkies stepped on the first step to the Castle I was enthralled. The beauty and exclusivity of the grounds is fantastic. I stepped into the 5 star world of indulgence but with pure class. Every staff member were exemplary and yet welcoming. The room delux suite was very comfortable and tastefully decorated in style. The bathroom was large and luxurious. I dined in the Earl of Desmond and enjoyed the finery of the 5 course meal. Drinks afterwards in the drawing room were appreciated as a night cap!
If you only do it once in your life - DO IT! Stay here to experience an out of this world experience. The price is insignificant to the experience.... I am looking forward to a return visit ;)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear DianeMayo

We were all thrilled to read your wonderful review. It gives us great encouragement to receive such positive feedback and makes all our efforts worthwhile.

Thank you for your recommendation, we look foward to welcoming you back again soon.

Best wishes

Mark Nolan & All the Team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newmarket-on-Fergus
The Inn at Dromoland
#2 of 3 in Shannon
Gregans Castle Hotel
Gregans Castle Hotel
#1 of 2 in Ballyvaughan

Been to Dromoland Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!