“Genuine 5* castle experience”

Dromoland Castle Hotel
Gorey, Ireland
“Genuine 5* castle experience”
Reviewed 18 February 2014

If you want to feel like royalty, this is definitely the hotel for you. Just got back from the place and I couldn't wait to write up this review. Having visited almost all the 5 star premises in Ireland, I have to say that I've seen Ireland's best and this is one of them. The service from start to finish was outstanding. True 5 star quality; exactly what you expect. We arrived for our Valentine's weekend around noon and expected to wait around for our room to be prepared. To our surprise, not only was the room ready, but we had been upgraded to the Presidential suite. The afternoon tea was surprisingly filling. The dinner more so! For most fine dining, one expects limited portions but not so in this place. I was in physical pain from all the food I had eaten, but it was so good I couldn't help myself. The whiskey and wine selection is superb, focusing on the best Irish offering of whiskey. The decor in the room showed signs of wear, but only because they were authentically antique and as such, wear is to be expected.

The only sting in the tail was the fact that we had originally booked for October only to find, quite by accident, that staying in Jan/Feb the prices were almost exaclty half the October rate (which, ceteris paribus, would have made it more expensive than even the more well-known Ashford Castle). The end result was that we changed our booking to Feb and in the end got the Presidential suite for half the October price of a suite. Score.

Room Tip: Book early in the year to avoid paying over the odds prices.
1 Thank Derek B
Mark_Nolan_GM, General Manager at Dromoland Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Dear Derek B

Thank you for your comprehensive review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially your dining experience. I will be sure to share your comments with our Kitchen & Restaurant teams.

With regard to the varying price in accommodation between October and January/February, the rates available are very much subject to availability and January/February would be our low season so indeed there are great rates available during these months.

We look forward to welcoming you back to visit us in the near future.

Mark Nolan - General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
  • Slovak first
cincinnati
Reviewed 18 February 2014

We had a lovely stay at Dromoland Castle. Fun bar scene, beautiful grounds and amazing room. Needed more time to explore the grounds. Checked in late and had to leave for the airport early the next day. It is an easy drive to Shannon Airport from Dromoland. Just remember there is no air conditioning (many historic properties do not have air). But the big windows were adequate and the breeze at night was pleasant. Would stay again…and again…and again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank scrappyCincinnati
Dear Scrappycincinnati

Thank you for your posting. We are sorry that you had such a short time with us, maybe next time you will stay longer. We look foward to welcoming you back.

Belfast, Northern Ireland
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Just returned from our stay at Dromoland. On arrival we had a warm welcome and my husband was wished a Happy Birthday by Catherine on reception which was a nice touch. The porter then showed us to our room and told us about the hotel and the facilities - he was very friendly. I think because the staff have worked there for some time they seem to have a pride about their work and service. Food in gallery bar and restaurant was lovely. Deluxe room was great and we had a lake view as requested. We would definitely recommend a visit but the staff are the real 5 star!

1 Thank dawn267
Mark_Nolan_GM, General Manager at Dromoland Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Dear Dawn267

Thank you for choosing to stay at Dromoland to celebrate your husbands birthday, we are delighted you had such an enjoyable time with us.

We do take huge pride in our hotel and the service we provide and are glad to hear this shines through. I will be sure to pass your lovely comments to Catherine and indeed the entire team here.

We hope to see you back for many more celebrations!

kilkenny
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Myself and my future hubby James have just got engaged and the venue that he chose as a surprise to propose was Drumoland Castle. I am not great with surprises and I am definitely not a 'dont tell the bride kind of girl'!!! but in this case it was one of the nicest and most romantic surprises I have ever had. And even the rain did'nt dampen our spirits!!!. When we arrived on the sat afternoon he had unknown to me let them know on reception that we were there to get engaged so as another lovely surprise we were given a deluxe suite. The grounds of the castle are absolutely gorgeous and James chose a lovely romantic spot for the proposal a little walk away called the temple of mercury. We had a wonderful stay that night at Drumoland which included a lovely romantic meal in the Earl of Thomond restaurant. From the moment we arrived there the service we recieved was top class and all the staff are a credit to the owners. Our stay in Drumoland will stay with us for ever. Thank you James and everyone in Drumoland for making our engagement so special.

Room Tip: Get engaged!!!!
1 Thank eileen m
Dear EileenM

Thank you for posting your very kind review, we were all thrilled to be part of this special time for you both and deligthed that you have such fond memories of your engagement. Don't be stuck for a wedding venue!

I hope that we have pleasure of welcoming you both back in the near future.

Romford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

Just spent a wonderful weekend at Dromoland, with family and it was fantastic, from the rooms food and the first class staff. I have stayed here three times and each time it's been wonderful, please try it yourself your be glad you did.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Colin K
Mark_Nolan_GM, General Manager at Dromoland Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Dear Colin K

Thank you for your very kind recommendation and choosing to stay with Dromoland time and time again. It gives us great encouragement to receive your feedback and we all look foward to welcoming you back to visit soon

Manchester, England
Reviewed 1 February 2014

The location, and the castle and the rooms and the staff are deserve 5 stars or more. Where does it lack, quality and cost of the some of the food from the gallery menu. fish and chips fantastic, seafood chowder great - chicken ceasar salad, risotto, minute steak, all at the very best three stars given that they were about 20 euros. Spirits and cocktails at the bar somewhat overpriced, given that they are basic and not well presented. Most of the breakfast menu is great, but then a few things let it down These are very minor points, but I'd go back, and just pick food a little more carefully with hindsight.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank petesloth
Dear Petesloth

Thank you for your review which were were all disapopinted to read. I am very sorry that you felt some of the menu items on our casual Gallery menu to be lacking and our cocktail menu overpriced and not up to stardard. I have taken your comments on board and will discuss each point with our managment team and head chef.

Obviously, we are very glad that you would choose to stay with us agian and enjoyed all other aspects of your stay.

Skerries, Ireland
Reviewed 31 January 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights at the end of January. The entrance to the hotel with a magnificent sweeping driveway around lake and up to the castle is a wonderful introduction. Checking in was seamless. Our room was in the old part of the castle with a panoramic view out over the lake. It was about 30 percent larger than your standard hotel room and we really enjoyed the extra space. I was surprised not find any tea or coffee tray in the room, but the porter informed me that they would provide it at no charge on request . My wife loves her coffee, so we immediately requested the tray which was promptly sent up. The bathroom was of average size but well laid out and tastefully decorated. The only other minor disappointment in the room was that the "Bose" sound system was not working. The free WiFi reception in the room was good. The TV was a bit complicated and fiddly, but had a very good selection of channels. The card and chocolates in the room were a very nice touch. We headed over to the leisure complex, (about a 5 minute walk or they will transport you over on request) and my wife enjoyed a work out in the well equipped gym. I chose a swim in the pool and a jacuzzi bath. Breakfast is a grand "silver service" affair in the oppulant "Earl of Thomand" dining room with a view out over the lake. There is lots of choice and the food is top class, but the one thing that irked me was why for a breakfast costing 25 euro each plus service charge did the hotel feel the need to put a 3 euro supplement on 2 breakfast dishes that had smoked salmon. After a very hearty breakfast, we enjoyed a lovely walk exploring some of the over 300 hundred acre gardens, woods and golf course. We were still so full after breakfast that we could not face lunch. So my wife chose to have a 90 minute spa treatment which she really enjoyed. I had brought a fishing rod with me and took one of the rowboats out onto the lake which was to my delight free of charge and a very pleasant way to spend 90 minutes. I even caught 2 large rainbow trout. I would have loved to try the hawk flying experience for 75 euro but did not have the time. All The hotel activities taken together are really like a mini theme park for adults. We were impressed by the professional and friendly service from all the staff. They really try hard to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. Dromoland Castle is truely of the great Irish Hotels to stay in. It is probably the closest thing you will experience to being a "Lord of the Manor".

Room Tip: Upgrade to a deluxe room for that extra special treat.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank seawindmill
Dear Seawindmill,

Thank you for your comprehensive review of your recent stay with us. I hope that we were alerted and were able to fix the Bose system in your room during your stay. I have also noted your comments with regard to an added supplement for some of the breakfast a la carte menu options and will discuss same with my managment team.

I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to visit in the future. Thank you for choosing Dromoland Castle

Mark Nolan - General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newmarket-on-Fergus
The Inn at Dromoland
#1 of 9 in Ennis
Gregans Castle Hotel
Gregans Castle Hotel
#1 of 2 in Ballyvaughan

Been to Dromoland Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!