Dromoland Castle Hotel
The Inn at Dromoland(Newmarket-on-Fergus)(Great Value!)
US$140
US$112
US$128
US$115
3,737 results
All reviewsgolf coursehawk walkwalled gardenfelt like royaltybeautiful groundsdream come truefig treefalconry experienceclay shootingcocktail barhorseback ridinggolf clubthe main dining roomour honeymoonpony and traponce in a lifetimedrawing room
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We stayed here last month for a family celebration. On arrival at 3pm (the check-in time) we were informed that only one of our two rooms was ready. We had to wait a full hour for the other room to be finished. We were not offered tea or anything while waiting and found the wait an inconvenience as we wanted to change and start using the hotel facilities. I had booked deluxe rooms having stayed in a deluxe room there previously. The rooms we were allocated this time were very comfortable (love the bed) but much smaller than my previous room. The bathrooms in particular were very small with a bath only, no shower. We did have a good view over the lake though. We ate in the Earl of Thomand that evening (food is excellent) and enjoyed cocktails in the bar afterwards (pricey but very tasty). I knew a service charge applied to the meal but was surprised it also seemed to be added to our later drinks order (didn't get a fully itemised bill so hard to tell). Breakfast is exceptional, best hotel breakfast I've ever had. I particularly love the French Toast and the big bowl of strawberries that are available. We really enjoyed our stay, staff were very friendly and helpful. However, I think the hotel is slightly overpriced for what you get, in particular in terms of the room size for our allocated rooms.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Mark_Nolan_GM, General Manager at Dromoland Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear Princessinpink222

I am very sorry that both your rooms were not ready for our 3pm check in time and that you were not offered tea/coffee with our compliments as that is our usual standard. I am glad to hear that you found your room comfortable but wonder what room you were in as all our rooms have showers, some however do have the shower in the bath tub?

I am delighted that all other aspects of your stay were enjoyable and look forward to welcoming you back as a regular guest.

Sincerely

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Dromoland was our splurge stay on our trip to Ireland. We could not have asked for more.

The room was large, as was the bathroom, the property was really something to see. I would recommend the guided tour.

We visited the fitness center in the country club twice. It had tons of machines, a sauna, a steam room, and a pool. Very convenient.

Our dinner at the Earl of Thomond restaurant was just incredible. I am not a very adventurous eater and was nervous when I saw the menu, but it was all just so good. And the staff was very helpful, nice, and willing to chat.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Mark_Nolan_GM, General Manager at Dromoland Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Dear Jessica R

Many thanks for choosing Dromoland for your Irish Splurge! We are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us, especially your dining experience in our fine dining Earl of Thomond Restaurant. I will be sure to pass your comments on to the team.

Hope to see you again soon

Best wishes
Mark Nolan & All the Team at Dromoland

Reviewed 3 May 2014

I stayed here with my boyfriend as part of a work trip and it was an amazing stay! The staff is beyond friendly and always there to help or answer a question. The place is huge so there was much to walk around and see including the walled garden. We also took a dip in the pool to just relax and look out the window of the view of the greenery! We ate at the club house restaurant and had the Irish Burger. It was delicious! There are also things to do outside of the hotel. We actually did some horseback riding at the Clare Equestrian riding school about 20 minutes away. The whole stay at Dromoland Castle was great! Hope we can make it back one day!

Room Tip: I don't think any room is better than another! We were on the ground floor and still had an amazing view of the grounds and the lake right on the property! Regarding the air conditioning, i believe some rooms had it which were newer rooms on the property. Honestly if you read about Ireland weather, the AC is probably not necessary. We had our windows opened and it had an amazing breeze and fresh air coming in.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Lisa Marie A

Thank you for your kind comments which I will be sure to share with all the team here. I am delighted you enjoyed your time with us and hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Sincerely

Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

My self and my husband stayed in Dromoland Castle from the 26th to the 29th of April.
As a suprise trip for me, my husband has told me since, he initially booked through Expedia and after saw an excellent deal on the Dromoland website itself, for a far superior room and extra night he went about cancelling his reservation.
Expedia gave him a bit of guff and said they would still have to pay commission and fees to the castle so couldn't cancel, but my husband contacted the booking manager directly in Dromoland who provided him with instant assurance they could facilitate his request. It went to show also Expedia were all talk and far from the best prices.
So moving onto the good stuff. Our arrival was stunning, wow the grounds are breath taking. The concierge was on hand immediately for a chat and a welcome, taking our bags and leading us to our individual receptionist. We were very early but were assured our room would only be a few minutes, but we grabbed the opportunity to head for a spot of afternoon tea. Which came out in a beautiful service with what could only be described as vats of tea and coffee :) yummy.
The tea room was just amazing, the paintings, the chairs the ambiance, down to even the waiters uniforms were all classic and elegant.
We were shown to our room which was on the ground floor to facilitate my growing belly, and lazy legs.
We were in room 226, it was a little walk through the castle, (how awful ;) but had a direct entrance across the courtyard from the reception also. And yes our big huge bay window looked right over onto the reception entrance. The bed and room were enormous in the newly renovated but classic styled super king suite. The chairs were covered in Laura Ashley(esk) fabric and the huge mahogany wardrobes held a wide screen tv with various information sites and hotel facts of interest, most importantly a few good films for the lazy weekend we were after.
That night we went to the Thomand restaurant, wow what a room. The meal we choose was a set 5 courses for a reasonable €65 for what u get. The choices were exceptional and the duck we choose the best in my opinion ;)
All staff were more than helpful and professional without being invasive in such a romantic setting. The room held hen groups, American tour groups, young and old couples and a few families, all seeming as comfortable as we.
The next morning our breakfast was a large and varied array of 'whatever you want' buffet and choice of menu specials if u wish. I was always awkward ordering a bit from here and there but everything was facilitated. Our breakfast was followed by a walk in the extensive grounds, a beautiful walled secret garden and leisure complex. The lake and golf course views were stunning.
Not the type to usually do this, we spent the afternoon sitting at our bay window watching the comings and goings and went for a couples spa in the evening. The facilities were beautiful and again staff were chatty but knew when to leave you be. It was thoroughly enjoyable and the treatments and products lovely.
The following day we browsed around near by Ennis with beautiful quant craft, gift shops and cafés, and returned for a bit of rowing on the lake of the castle grounds, available to all guests. As I was being a thoroughly lazy expectant mommy we hired a golf cart to tour the grounds for an hour, and good it was too, we never would have seen the stunning hidden lakes and bridges, tombs, trees or pergola had we not.
Again our check out and room cleaning services were as seem less as the rest of our stay. Nightly chocolate treats, water and a nightly sonnet were a very cute touch. Our room was cleaned as soon as we left, our room number was barely asked for as staff just knew, and while the castle was busy every day, it never felt overcrowded or effecting of the individual service.
I must say seeing also young families as well as a very wide variation of other guests I would not be slow to return with a young baby, for a romantic weekend, or family event. Well done Dromoland and thanks for looking after me, the husband and little one to come ;) We'll be back!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank 11willow11

Dear 11willow11

Many thanks for your comprehensive reivew on your recent stay with us. We were thrilled that you chose Dromoland as a special pampering treat before your new arrival!

Best wishes from all at Dromoland and we look foward to welcoming you back to visit with your new baby.

Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed in Dromoland for one night on Sat 26th April with my husband and two daughters aged 10 and 5 years. The moment the castle came into view it took our breath away - it's just beautiful. We received an amazing welcome - we felt like we were the only guests in the hotel! The ladies at reception were just so lovely to my girls - it was immediately clear that not only were children accepted here they were genuinely welcome. The girls were given colouring books and pencils, and when we were shown to our room by the lovely lady in hospitality we discovered two teddies had been left for them. There were even kiddie-sized robes in the wardrobe for them to wear. There was also a card and some chocolates for me as I was celebrating a milestone birthday. Our room was absolutely immaculate and had a lovely view.

We had a very enjoyable trip to the leisure centre which was also immaculate. My compliments to the lady working in the ladies changing rooms that afternoon - I don't think I have ever seen a level of hygiene like it, with the toilets and showers being cleaned and dried out after each use. The staff here were also very friendly and helpful. The leisure centre is only a short walk from the main hotel, but as it was raining periodically we were brought down in a golf buggy and collected again afterwards.

On our return to our room we discovered that milk and cookies had been left for the girls, with the girls' names written in chocolate on the cookies - the girls' were both fascinated and over the moon, and it's this sort of attention to detail that makes you see how it has earned 5 stars.

That evening we dined in The Fig Leaf, the restaurant in the gold club. Again we were dropped and collected, this time by minivan. The lovely ladies in reception once again made a huge fuss of the girls, referring to them as princesses as we had all dressed in our finest - they loved the attention! Down in The Fig Leaf the food was fantastic, but more so the gentleman waiting on us, whose name I unfortunately cannot remember, was such a pleasure. He was friendly and helpful, and really made a fuss of the girls. On our return to the hotel we had a drink in The Gallery, which was lovely and relaxed and a great spot for the four of us to sit and chill before bed.

Breakfast was a revelation - without question the best buffet selection I have ever seen, and a lovely hot menu to go with it. Afterwards we at last got to explore the beautiful grounds. On leaving we felt like family members departing after a stay, right down to the tearful objection of the girls who did not want to leave. The staff really could not have been nicer.

A trip to Dromolamd is more than a stay, it's a whole experience, one that I would strongly recommend to anyone. My only regret was that we were not staying longer, but I hope to rectify this sooner rather than later.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank AngieDoyleMc

Dear AngieDoyleMc

We are all over the moon to read your review after your recent stay with us. It is great encouragement to receive feedback such as yours as it makes all our efforts worthwhile.

Thank you very much for your recommendation and sharing your comments, I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to visit us soon.

Best wishes