“AMAZING!”

Dromoland Castle Hotel
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Family trip thru Ireland and was looking for a memorable castle experience. Dromoland fit the bill to a tee. Outstanding facility, excellent staff, wonderful afternoon tea, delicious dinners, many activities to choose from. Booked thru Amex Platinum, all three rooms upgraded (one to a suite), beautifully appointed rooms, great bathrooms, outstanding views of lake and 18th hole. Loved so much we extended our stay another night, lost the suite but moved to a very nice room on 2nd floor. Girls tried archery, guys played golf, enjoyed the pool, steam, sauna and work out room. Day trip to Cliffs of Moor and Ennis town. Dinners at Fig Tree and Earl of Thomond were very enjoyable. There are no elevators, but if mobility is an issue, the 1st floor rooms have limited steps and there is an exterior wheel chair lift. Overall it is on the expensive side, but definitely worth it!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the lake are beautiful, but I wouldn't think you'd spend much time in your room...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jim S
Mark_Nolan_GM, General Manager at Dromoland Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear Jim S

Thank you for your lovely feedback, we appreciate that you took the time to share your comments. We are all thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us and experienced some of the many on site estate activities here.

I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you all back to visit us again in the not too distant future.

Sincerely

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Five of us came and stayed in April. The rooms were wonderful but the service turned out to be the highlight of the trip. Without being imposing, all the staff was just as helpful and courteous as good be. I went to see the walled garden, and a very nice lady just appeared and explained how the garden woukd look in the summer. The Fig Tree restaurant was wonderful: great food in a more informal setting. The tea I had at breakfast was the single best cup of tea in my life, and I can't help but think the sheer kindness of every staff member improved its taste. I really don't mind paying a little more for a room in a place that obviously invests in its staff.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Lacoatrack

Thank you for your lovely comments which we are all delighted to receive. Thank you for sharing your positive feedback on Trip Advisor and we hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to visit us again soon.

Best Wishes

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I’m really torn in how to rate our stay at Dromoland. On the one hand we received amazing service, experienced some great food and tried some fun and entertaining local activities; on the other hand the room we were given was awful. But as we decided during the trip that we were on vacation and should focus on the positive.

Pulling off the local road into the long driveway, flanked on either side by the golf course, you know you are in for something special. The castle is situated on a sizeable estate, with some beautiful grounds and it’s own lake. Arriving at the reception you are immediately greeted by one of the doormen (you’ll discover that they are much more than that) who’ll take your car keys, luggage and worries away with them as you climb the gorgeous Liscannor stone steps.

During our stay we sampled the buffet breakfast, Mrs. White’s afternoon tea (a meal in itself), the golf club bar and the signature General Thomond dining room. Uniformly good food and brisk, competent but friendly service. Highly recommended. They even made me a non-chocolate birthday cake! Asides from the obvious golf, you can try archery, rowing, falconry and a host of other “castle-like” activities. We opted for the Dromoland School of Falconry and had an amazing educational experience with Dave the owner, and Ginny, our hawk. The highlight of our stay.

On the downside we checked in and were given Room 211, which basically had a view of nothing. (Disclaimer: I did tell them we couldn’t climb multiple flights of stairs). This was disappointing as the deluxe suites are supposed to have a view of the lake, golf course or gardens. The one thing I wanted was a view. I had my heart set on celebrating my birthday by looking out the window of a castle onto the surrounds and imagining I was back in the medieval days as lord of the manor. Simple, but that’s what I wanted. The front desk kept telling me they were full and couldn’t upgrade me. I just wanted what the room description said I should expect. Our 2nd night they did move us to a slightly better room with a view of the reception courtyard.

So .. as the title says .. fantastic food, superb service and an awful room. Shame. No other hotel/castle treated us that way. Ask lots of questions when you check in about what kind of room you have.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank John C

Dear John C

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on trip advisor and for the really wonderful comments about our food, service and staff which we were delighted to read.

As you were gracious in bringing your issue with the view from your room to our attention whilst you were staying with us, we are pleased to have had the opportunity to apologise to you in person, and move you to the best room available on that evening. We also hope that you enjoyed our gestures of goodwill extended to you during your stay.

It is our absolute priority to ensure that all of our valued guests enjoy their stay with us and hopefully leave with fond memories of their entire Dromoland experience.

Regretfully, we had not received information prior to your stay on the unsuitability of stairs as the deluxe room in the tower with the lake view that you were initially allocated proved inappropriate. Due to the nature of this sixteenth century castle, prior knowledge of any special requirements is necessary, especially at this time of the year when we are at maximum capacity.

Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to Dromoland and ensuring that you will feel like the lord of the manor on your next visit.

Sincerely

Reviewed 30 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here for one night while we were traveling the west coast, based on recommendations from two separate friends that were married here. It was our favorite hotel and experience of our entire trip. We were upgraded to the top room in the tower which was simply stunning. The room was huge and the bathroom was much larger than the typical European hotel. The views though...they were incredible. Which makes sense because the same should be said for the grounds.

Like many of the recent reviews below, we were tired and not feeling up to dressing up so we ate at the Clubhouse. The food was typical bar food but our server was great. The breakfast is a typical Irish offering in a classier setting, but again, great service. The Pony and Trap ride was such a great experience. We decided to do a sunset one (which was like 9:00 PM) and they accommodated the late request. The driver is very well versed in Irish history and tells some really wonderful stories.

When we come back to Ireland, we will be staying here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TheIrishCMC

Dear TheIrishCMC

We are thrilled to learn that you stayed with us on the recommendation of friends and that you enjoyed your time with us. I will be sure to share your comments with Sean, the staff in the clubhouse and indeed the entire team.

We look foward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best Wishes

Reviewed 30 June 2014

I stayed just one night at Dromoland as I had to pick up friends at Shannon Airport in the early morning. I have stayed at the Castle a few times in the past and was anxious to get a little golf in before a much anticipated golf trip around the Irish Southwest.

I booked Dromoland with AMEX Fine Hotels and Resorts and was upgraded to a beautiful suite. The golf both on the day of arrival and early the next morning made my stay worth it. The hotel had a special: 9 holes with a cart, time at the practice area and a sleeve of balls for 45 Euro. I was practicing my chipping and the Golf Pro David gave me a few pointers.It was the perfect tune up before hitting Lahinch the next day.

Dinner was at the Fig Tree Restaurant. More informal and very good. Don't miss the walled garden beside the restaurant. Wow.

The hotel has not changed much over the years which is actually quite nice. Breakfast was excellent and I really had a great experience. I always enjoy returning to Dromoland and am never disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank SeaCam
Mark_Nolan_GM, General Manager at Dromoland Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear Seacam,
Delighted you had such a good stay and you enjoyed the course so much. It is becoming known as one of the “hidden gems” of Irish Golf due to its condition and layout.

Thanks again for your comments and repeat business.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

For the money you pay for this hotel, you sure don't get a lot. It is VERY expensive and we were totally disappointed that it wasn't an actual CASTLE...it is a MANOR. It's beautiful, but so are a lot of other places that don't cost you this much. We were tired and just wanted to eat at the hotel and enjoy the amenities there, but you can't eat there without dressing up. We had a toddler with us also so we weren't about to go that "route." We can't say enough about the Hawk Walk and the Pony and Trap. We did both of those and thoroughly enjoyed ourself. The guides were very personable and knowledgeable. They were totally worth doing.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Jules1770,
Thank you for taking the time to put your reviews on Trip Advisor. I would however point out that Dromoland Castle is without question a Castle and indeed was the stronghold of the O’Brien family direct descendants of Brian Boru one of the last high kings of Ireland. That been said we have added extra accommodation over the years but always tried to do it sensitively and to include the Castle theme. While we have a dress code in the restaurant our requirement is not to allow; sneakers, tracksuits and tee shirts and indeed this restriction only exists for dinner in deference to our other diners. We do have 2 other informal dining options , I hope you were made aware of this. I am glad you enjoyed the activities of the estate and I hope to welcome you back.
Yours sincerely

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Dromoland has beautiful grounds and the building is impressive as well. The staff are tremendously friendly and top rate. The room we had in the Moriarty wing was quite spacious and looked towards the main entrance. The décor was ok, a bit dated and not really luxurious, but that was fine. The bathroom seat was blocked by the flush handle when raised (so it would fall back down), so not sure what was going on there. We did the falconry which was very fun and lasted a long time. So all-in-all we enjoyed our stay, but felt that it was a bit pricey for what you get.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Peanuts in LA
Thank you for your feedback which is always helpful to myself and the team. We are very encouraged by your nice comments of the service levels, grounds and building.

I regret that you experienced a maintenance issue and hope it was addressed by our engineer. Thanks again for your comments and I hope to welcome you back soon
Best regards
Mark Nolan

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newmarket-on-Fergus
The Inn at Dromoland
#1 of 2 in Ballyvaughan
Hotel Woodstock
Hotel Woodstock
#2 of 9 in Ennis

Been to Dromoland Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!