“The Castle was Great!”

Dromoland Castle Hotel
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We loved the Dromoland castle. The setting was beautiful - within a huge former estate. The interior of the castle was really unique. The decor was of an 1850's manor. The facilities were splendid. They have great areas to walk and have every activity from golf and a spa to working with hawks (raptors). The restaurant was good in the evening and the Irish Breakfast was sumptuous. Probably the best part was the staff. They were incredibly helpful and accommodating. The tone was for our stay was initially set when the day manager if the facility brought us to our room personally. The room rate is quite expensive but we'd definitely recommend it to you if you are willing to splurge and want a relaxing atmosphere with the potential of numerous activities.

1  Thank Mark V
Mark_Nolan_GM, General Manager at Dromoland Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear Mark V

Thank for you your lovely review, we are thrilled you enjoyed your time with us and the staff are delighted that they made your stay even more special. We very much appreciate your recommendation and look foward to hopefully welcoming you back to visit us again soon

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

The grounds of this place are an absolute delight! And it goes downhill from there. Our room was a good size, but was so stuffy, it was difficult to breath. It was cool both outside & in the hallways, so it wasn't as if there was a heat wave. When we called about it, they brought us a small fan. It did nothing. And the management did nothing further, though we complained again as we couldn't sleep, it was so hot in there.

Also, the hallways must have been flooded as all the carpets are wet & stained, making the place look dirty, though the staff does appear to clean & polish daily.

I did love my spa treatment--the spa is modern & very relaxing & my therapist, Leanne, was good.

I enjoyed running around the golf course. The grounds are lovely. A little updating would go a long way.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank parkcityletsgonow

Dear parkcityletsgonow

I am very sorry that your room was hot/stuffy during your stay with us. Unfortunately, not all of our rooms have air conditioning as this is a very old castle and not purpose built so it is not feasible to install throughout the building due to conservation restrictions. We are experiencing some uncharacteristic and very humid weather conditions at present which lead to your room being hard to cool with a fan. I apologise for the inconvenience caused to you.

I am not aware of any flooding in any of the hallways making carpets wet and would like to assure you the housekeeping team make sure that the hotel is in the best condition and cleanliness is our number one priority at all times. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the estate grounds and spa.

Thank you for your feedback pass on to the team.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

I believe this was the highlight of our tour of Ireland and a beautiful way to end it. From the moment our group arrived we knew the place was first class. The staff was waiting for us on the step to greet us. Brief talk on all emenities and rousing welcome.
The care taken to preserve the air of a true castle is evident. Our room opened, with a private entrance, into the inner courtyard where we could sit in quiet and partake in a smoke if so desired. The rooms were exquisite and the bathroom luxurious. Though there was no air conditioning, we were not uncomfortable as the windows opened for a breaze.
The first thing we did was have an outing with a lovely lass, named Scoisia (forgive my spelling) who introduced us to the sport of Falconry. It was an awesome experience. We'll cherish forever.
The dining room is a splendor. The staff is very attentive. The meal which was included in the tour was just devine. Can't emphasize how well we were treated.
My only wish is that we would have booked an extra day there outside the tour to enjoy the other amenities. (9 hole golf course, horseback riding, fishing, spa, etc.

Room Tip: Our room was on the ground floor with a door to a large courtyard, if you smoke this is ideal.
1  Thank JoeRichards
Mark_Nolan_GM, General Manager at Dromoland Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear JoeRichards

Thank you for your comprehenisve review on your recent stay, I am delighted you enjoyed your time with us and will be sure to pass your lovely comments to all the team here. I hope you can visit us again soon to experience the many more activities we have to offer.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

What can you say, my kids loved staying here (we all did). We were treated like royalty when we arrived. Though we have stayed in other places where they treated you so nice, never with kids. My kids were so impressed. The place is beautiful inside and out. I loved our room and the size of it. I just wish we could have stayed there longer, we only stayed 1 night. It was so nice having so much room to spread out. The little touches were awesome too. My kids loved their little teddy bears they got at turn down service with their little snacks. The children's sized robes and slippers were a nice touch also. We ate dinner at the golf course which was nice and the breakfast in the castle was very nice. We did a horse and cart (I am not sure what the actual name of it was) around the grounds which was great. It was a nice way to see the grounds and also to learn some history about the house, the O'Brien family, and the area. We loved our stay here and our only disappointment is that we could not stay longer. It is beautiful.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear MeghanB

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Dromoland Castle, I am thrilled that your family enjoyed your time with us. We always love to welcome and spoil our little VIP's!

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Great experience staying at the Dromoland castle hotel. Not sure but I believe we were upgraded. In any case, room was beautiful. Service was outstanding. Had dinner and breakfast at the castle and both were excellent. We toured before driving to the hotel, wished we would have gotten to the hotel earlier to appreciate the grounds and the golf course.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank OrlandoCork146

Dear OrlandoCork146

Thank you for taking the time post your recent review, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay at Dromoland and hopefully you will visit us again for longer!

Reviewed 8 July 2014

I was so excited to stay at Dromoland and left there very disappointed. It reminded me somewhat of a casino. They treat you great coming in and then after that, you're on your own. The woman at the front desk while walking us to our room said she would make our dinner reservations. Never happened. Thankfully, we only had to wait about 15 minutes before we were seated. Service was exceptional in the restaurant but the main entree of the filet was horrible. Three of us had the filet at our table and only one was edible. The other two were tough and very dry. We had a king size bed in our room, or what we thought was a king size bed. It was two twins pushed together and also made separately. So in order for my husband and I to actually sleep near one another, we had to rip the sheets and the blankets out. Not at all what I expected to see. However, my friend didn't have the same situation. They had two twin beds pushed together but they were not made up separately. My friend and I both had a massage at the spa the next day. The spa was very nice and the therapists were very pleasant. My massage was only okay. My impression of my therapist was that she was new to it and hadn't really figured out a technique yet. The last disappointment that kind of put the nail on the coffin for us was when we checked out. Parking is small distance away and when we were dragging our suitcases through the lobby, the porter stopped us only to say have a nice day. Never did he ask to go get our car (which was valet parked) or help us with our luggage. By this time, we were all so disillusioned with the place, that we dragged our suitcases through the gravel to our cars ourselves. The grounds and the hotel were amazing but I enjoyed my previous nights stay at the Ballynahinch Castle and would recommend that over Dromoland any day. Most disappointing.

1  Thank kpaulik

Dear Kpaulik

I am very disappointed to read your review following your recent stay as it goes against every effort we make to ensure our guests feel welcome, special, offering the very best in five star hospitality.

I am very sorry that there was an oversight with your dinner booking and that you were not happy with your fillet steak main courses. Can I ask if you brought this to the attention of any of the service staff? I have checked with our Restaurant Manager and we can find no complaint noted.

As with all hotels, we need to have a variety of different bed configurations and it is not always possible to allocate King beds unless requested in advance. Our Reservations Dept. cannot find any reference on the back up comments of any such request for a King Bed.

I have investigated your comments regarding your spa experience and indeed we have employed some new therapists recently who have been fully trained but I have raised your comments with the team in an effort to improve our standards. Again, I wonder did you make this feedback known to the Spa Manager when she enquired if you enjoyed your treatment as we have no record that you were not entirely satisfied with your treatment.

As with most five star hotels we do offer valet parking and the porters are delighted to help in any way they can with guest luggage, both of these services are complimentary. If you require them on check out the norm is to call Reception from your room and ask for your car to be brought to the front of the hotel and luggage to be collected from your room. When you were met by one of our porters and seen to be managing your own luggage in the lobby it was assumed that you preferred to do so yourself, which is often the case. I am very sorry that we got it wrong on this occasion and for the inconvenience caused to you.

Again, I am truly disappointed and sorry that you did not enjoy your time with us and I hope that we have an opportunity to restore your faith in our hotel.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Fabulous family lunch at Golf Club on June 10th - food was amazing and staff couldn't have been nicer. Gardens are spectacular and the service was really efficient and friendly. This hotel is really woth visiting

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mags M

Dear Mags M

Thank you for your review, I am delighted you enjoyed your lunch in our Golf Club and I hope that you will viist again soon.

Mark Nolan - Managing Director

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newmarket-on-Fergus
The Inn at Dromoland
#1 of 2 in Ballyvaughan
Hotel Woodstock
Hotel Woodstock
#2 of 9 in Ennis

Been to Dromoland Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!