3,953 results
All reviews golf course hawk walk walled garden beautiful grounds felt like royalty dream come true fig tree falconry experience cocktail bar clay shooting horseback riding golf club the main dining room once in a lifetime our honeymoon drawing room pony and trap
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Dromoland Castle Hotel was an extremely enjoyable experience. They offered many activities to do while you're there. I did falconry and horse/trap ride. Both of the guides were very nice, and made the experience even better. They joked and laughed, while doing their job. The employees in the castle was very nice too. One was so,so,so sweet! She gave me milk and cookies for the night, and always wished me well on the activities we did. The food was excellent, and they had very polite waiters/waitresses. They also had some one play a harp, and it wasn't blaring even and we were right next to it. Some restaurants hire bands, but they are sometimes too loud and I can't hear what anyone is saying. The falconry was splendid. We took a walk on a path going through the woodlands. The Harris hawk was very nice and soft. At the end, we got to meet the other birds at the school of falconry on the castle grounds. The guide's name we had for falconry was Jim. The horse and trap were also very pleasant. We went through the woodlands again, but on a different path. The guide we had joked a lot. He was very friendly, and knowledgeable. His name was Sean.

All in all, it was a very enjoyable experience, and I hope to go there again.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Mark_Nolan_GM, General Manager at Dromoland Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2014

Dear Leafheart0413

Thank you for choosing to stay at Dromoland Castle during your recent visit through Ireland. I am delighted you enjoyed your time with us and will share your comments with Jim (falconry), Sean (Pony & Trap) and indeed all the team here.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to visit us on your next visit to Ireland.

Reviewed 28 August 2014

We received excellent service throughout our stay. The dining was very good and the grounds are a joy to walk around and relax. The estate is very well maintained, but the excellent service is what makes one want to return.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear JgregoryH

Thank your for your lovely feedback, we are delighted you enjoyed your time with us and hope that you will return to visit us again in the near future.

Reviewed 28 August 2014

My fiancé and I purchased a travel package that included stays at four different castles throughout Ireland. Dromoland was the third castle that we visited and were blown away as we drove our little rental car through the front gates. Our excitement grew as we followed the meandering driveway through the golf course and up the majestic edifice of the stone structure. The beauty of the grounds was almost overwhelming as we passed the lake, circled the castle and parked in the rear lot. We quickly grabbed our bags and walked through the courtyard and into the beautiful front doors of the fantasy like castle.

Unfortunately, this fantasy ended as soon as we passed through the threshold of the lobby. We were immediately met with the dated décor and the attempt to convey a medieval feel with tapestries and suits of armor everywhere. However, the feel was less medieval and more Disneyland. I half expected a bellman to arrive dressed as knight and whisk our bags away to our room. I can only describe the castle’s interior like being in the Overlook Hotel from the movie “The Shining.” I had hoped that this antiquated look was only to be found in the lobby, but it was consistent throughout the entire hotel.

After a bit of a wait, we were able to check in. Our porter promptly came to help us to our room and gave some extensive history of the castle. After some twists and turns, we were shown our room, which was nice but not outstanding. We laughed out loud when we saw the bed…or beds. Yes, my new fiancé and I (she has said “yes” two days prior) would be forced to sleep in TWO twin beds that had been shoved together in the middle of the room. Plus, each bed was sheeted individually!! We pulled the sheets out to make a single sleeping area, but were annoyed when the maids re-sheeted the beds the same as before. I found this kind of ridiculous.

With the bedroom situation being what it was, we decided to write it off and go to dinner. We went to the restaurant to find that it was a formal dining room that required a dress shirt and slacks. Being that I did not have such clothes, we decided to grab a drink in the bar and eat in the more relaxed sitting area. While at the bar, I ordered a Side Car. What I didn’t realize was that the menu had one page for regular drinks and another for top shelf drinks. As it turned out, the sidecar that I had ordered was 80 (yes EIGHTY) euros! I know that this was a result of my own negligence, but I was surprised that the waiter did not point out the cost when I was ordered. This drink coupled with dinner came to over two hundred US dollars. I approached the bartender to see if there was a mistake on the bill, only to have him reply, “I suppose that it wasn’t quite worth it then?” To which I said, “Um, not even close.” We left quite upset and feeling a bit taken.

When we got back to our room, we looked up all the activities that the hotel offered its guests. This list was long and attractive as it included archery, horse back riding, golf and even falconry. However, each activity was quite expensive, and there was a fee just to watch the falconry. We both decided, from that point, that we would not give Dromoland another cent of our money.

The next day, we drove in to the small town just outside the property walls. There, we found a small café where we both dined for less than twenty Euros. The food was delicious and the service was delightful. From there we took a walk and found an awesome public park with a playground that brought out our inner kids. If you can find it, I highly suggest it. We did walk the grounds of the castle as well. The property was very pretty and we took many photos on our stroll.

That night, we took a drive north on the highway a few miles to a small town with several dining options. Here we had steak and chicken dishes for a third of the price of the Dromoland restaurant. Plus, all the drink prices were clearly marked and on the same page. Being Sunday night, many businesses were closed, but the little town looked like a lot of fun.

By the end of our stay, we were anxious to leave this place behind us. I suppose the most disappointing part of our stay was the sheer potential of Dromoland. The exterior of the castle and the grounds make it a very beautiful and impressive property. The dated decor, the dreary feel, high cost, and mediocre service really hurt our overall experience. For these reasons, we would not describe the hotel as “5 stars” if asked. Instead, we describe it like an amusement park and call it Dromo-Land.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Daniel H
Reviewed 27 August 2014

A splendid couple of days! Our family arrived in the pouring rain. But the entire staff made our visit friendly, warm and relaxing. The grounds are spectacular, and the food is amazing. Service was superb.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Craig & Yumi

Thank you for posting your review, we are delighted you and your family enjoyed your recent stay with us and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to us in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

What an amazing experience. The staff go out of their way to make sure they can assist you with any request. It was like a page from the PBS show Downton Abbey . We highly recommend the falconry as you get to hike through the grounds while you watch these amazing creatures soar in flight . Our dinner at the Earl of Thomand was divine . What a perfect way to end our 7 day Irish vacation !

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Eric D
Mark_Nolan_GM, General Manager at Dromoland Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Dear EricD

Thank you for posting your lovely review. We were delighted to welcome your family to stay with us and hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future if you are traveling in Ireland again.

Best Wishes