“Fabulous sevice, friendly people”
Review of Vaughan Lodge

Vaughan Lodge
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Lahinch
Toronto
“Fabulous sevice, friendly people”
Reviewed 26 May 2010

The location was perfect for our golf at Lahinch. The people were friendly, the sevice and food excellent. The room was very comfortable.Would not hesitate to back.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Leitrim, Ireland
Reviewed 13 May 2010

I am a 19 year old female and I went here for a weekend away with my family last July after my leaving cert. I absolutely adore Lahinch and this must have been the 5th or 6th time we had holidayed here. This, by far, was the best accommodation we had received in all the times we had visited the town. It was just wonderful. We enjoyed every minute of the stay from the moment we walked in. My family consists of a 15 year old boy right up to a 24 year old girl and my parents aswell, and all of us loved the holiday.The hotel is just fantastic, the attention to detail is amazing. I cannot wait to return this summer even just for the weekend again. It is right beside the time and there's a lovely down hill walk into the town from the hotel. The beds are very comfortable and the bathrooms are gorgeous. The big paintings in the bedrooms of Lahinch, which are amazing, add a lovely feature to the bedrooms. I have nothing bad to say about this hotel, I would recommend it to anyone. Great place to go to get away with your family, it would suit everyone. Thanks for a most enjoyable stay and I certainly will return!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank cathrionaa
Ireland
Reviewed 26 April 2010

Beautiful little hotel, lovely decor and very clean. We had a very large room on the first floor with a view of the sea. (its not on the seashore or anything, but nice to be able to see the sea from the room anyway.)

Dinner in the restaurant was excellent, and the staff have an excellent attention to detail. The hotel was very quiet when we were there, but that was just the way we wanted it. Nice little bar with a library-type vibe, so a very relaxing set-up.

Lahinch is a beautiful place and I would definitly stay at Vaughan Lodge again if I was there.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Bernardsville NJ
Reviewed 14 December 2009

i visit ireland every year and have stayed in many B&B's across the country. i was fortunate to find the Vaughan Lodge 3 years ago and have stayed every year since when in the Lahinch area. i have stayed with golf buddies (you can walk to Lahinch Golf Club) and i have taken my wife and each time Michael and Maria Vaughan have made for a perfect stay. The service is SUPERB, the restaurant is 5 stars, the rooms are large and modern and there are few places more enjoyable to relax than the first floor lounge/library. Many B&B's rest on their laurels - i have been disappointed often to find outdated and worn facilities - not the Vaughans! Always state of the art in service and facilities.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank BIllHBernardsvilleNJ
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 28 September 2009

My wife and I stayed with two friends for a Saturday night in the Vaughan Lodge. Our first impression of the hotel was the ample parking space. The hotel has 22 rooms but there seemed far more parking space than this. When we entered reception we received a friendly efficient welcome from the girl at the desk. My wife and I had a King room booked and it was a nice big size with two beds. The large bed was a double (rather than 2 twins pushed together which we too often get) and was very comfortable. The bathroom was clean and bright and had a very powerful shower. There were shampoos and shower gels provided. The only down side about our room was the view - it was at the side of the hotel and the view was low wall and a house. But this wasn't a problem for us. Our friends had a view of the sea. So it might be worth requesting a sea view room. All in all though our room was a treat and we would have been very happy to have this room for a 2 week stay. The hotel itself is bright and there are nice pictures by the owner Michael around the hotel. We booked for dinner in the restaurant and we are very glad we did. We booked for 8.00 pm and there was a hen party on and though they were chatty they were not loud. They were gone by 9.00 and then the restaurant became lovely and quiet. The food we received was not your usual hotel fare - this was food you would be delighted to get in a high class restaurant. We all loved our starters - I would particularly recommend the scallops. The mains were delightful all around and the desserts were divine. The meal was not cheap but it was worth spending the bit extra for the experience. And what was particularly nice was the way that the meal was not rushed. Our whole evening took over two and a half hours - it was a real slow food experience. Our main waitress, Breda, was chatty, funny and very attentive to our needs. She made us feel really comfortable and at home. She really looked after us. The other waitresses were friendly and efficient also. We retired to the bar after dinner for a glass of wine and this was as relaxed as the restaurant. The bar man was also very friendly and made our time in there comfortable. Breakfast the next morning was very nice. There was good selection of cereals, fruits and juices. The breakfast fry was a very nice way to start the morning. I asked for everything and it was a nice big portion and it didn't feel heavy - the fried potatoes were particularly nice. when we were checking out Michael, the owner, was friendly, wishing us well for our journey back, recommending places to visit and places to eat as we travelled back. He also recommended places to visit to an Australian family who were checking out before us [this is something which I observed in a hotel in Kerry as well and I think it is a great thing for hotel staff to do - it provides a great last impression for our visitors to Ireland. Well done.] All in all we would recommend this hotel on the grounds of its staff, its location, its food and overall ambience and coziness. thanks!!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank Joseph-Anne
Toronto
Reviewed 25 September 2009

We stayed for 3 nights in order to play Lahinch and Doonbeg. It's close to Shannon and just up the road from the Lahinch golf course ( about 40 minutes from Doonbeg). But it's a good place to stay even if you're not golfing---close to the Cliffs of Moher and the Burren. Good food, good wine selection, and a friendly proprietor. I could have spent many days reading the great selection of books in the very spacious and comfortable bar/library/lounge. With free newspapers and a drying room for wet golf gear, what's not to like?

Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 25 September 2009

Four of us from San Francisco traveled to Ireland in September 2009 to play 11 golf courses in 11 days. All four of us were unanimous that we were extremely fortunate to have stayed at the Vaughan Lodge in Lahinch. Swing, our golf travel consultant, found this little gem for us.

I wish we could have stayed for three or four nights -- the Vaughan Lodge and its owners, Michael and Maria Vaughan, are that good, and actually even better. But we stayed only one night before driving to Ballybunnion.

Michael Vaughan is the paragon of hotel owners/hosts. He clearly takes great pride in his small hotel, which is just across the street from the Lahinch course. Our rooms had an expansive, beautiful view of the course and valley. That Michael is a golfer likely added to his ability to anticipate what we needed and wanted for our one-evening stay. He is an incredibly engaging host, and, as expected, is very knowledgeable about the course, town, stores, and pubs, as well as the history of the area.

All of us regretted that, after golf and before dinner, we had only an hour to spend in the sitting room/library, which has a small bar that served us our choice of brews. This room is inviting and comfortable. Two of us spent our hour pulling out and reviewing the books in the "library" section -- two shelves of books about golf, golf history, and golf in Ireland. I wrote down the names and publishers of three books so I could order them when I returned home.

Both rooms the four of us shared (two in a room) were excellent -- a touch modern, impeccably clean, well-appointed, with plenty of room. Could not improve on them.

The restaurant was unexpectedly superb. One of us (me) is a vegetarian and was quite surprised and then amazed at the separate vegetarian menu. The offerings on this menu looked so appealing that one of our non-vegetarians ordered his meal from it. All the dishes we ordered were well-prepared, well-presented, and very tastey. The choice of wines available by the glass worked well for the four of us, who have varied tastes in wines and couldn't agree on a bottle to order.

Without doubt, when I return to Ireland next year, I will stay here for at least three nights and play the Lahinch course three times.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Golfer-breaks-80
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahinch
Lahinch Golf & Leisure Hotel
The Old Ground
The Old Ground
#1 of 9 in Ennis
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,505 reviews

Been to Vaughan Lodge? Share your experiences!